Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Never place your phone in a microwave oven

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 23:00:56 +0000, Red Green wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to turn the location setting off on your phone?

I just wanna see all cell phone wiped from the face of the planet.

Mine's been at the bottom of the office closet for over 4 years; I think
I've perhaps missed it (in the sense of "wow, I could sure use the
convenience of a cell phone right now") for all of ten minutes in all
that time. I am admittedly around a land-line and email a lot, but for
times when that's not the case there are few things in life that can't
just wait.

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gregz" wrote in message
"Robert Green" wrote:

stuff snipped

From experience: Don't put a CD in a microwave either.

I do it all the time. When I want to destroy CDs/DVDs with sensitive
information I find that four or five seconds in the microwave oven makes
them completely unreadable. Far more secure than cutting them up or

using a
mechanical shredder.

--
Bobby G.

That's hard on a microwave, might break it. I would also place a small
load, like a 1/4 filled coffee cup of water in the corner.

Might be hard on modern gear but my 1984 Litton manual-twist timer 900W oven
has eaten 100's of CDs and DVDs without incident. It's only a few seconds
of crackling and it destroys the disks so thoroughly - the patterns look
like crazed varnish - that I doubt anyone but the NSA could recover even
parts of it.

I think by the time it's thirty years old I will have to open it to replace
the fan - it's getting noisy - but other than that, the simpler the better.
My sister's gone through at least 4 much newer and fancier ones in all that
time.

--
Bobby G.