Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing bath vanity

Gramp's shop wrote:
A leaky toilet resulted in some mold on the vanity and I have elected
to build a replacement. I want to reuse the one-piece faux stone
top/sink. But in order to remove the top, I need to remove a
matching faux stone 4 inch wide backsplash.

Any idea of what was used to affix the backsplash to the walls and
how I might go about removing it without damaging the wall?

Absent visible screws, etc., it's got to be glue of some sort.

What's the wall made of?

If you don't want to reuse the backsplash, you can try shattering it with a
hammer, the laboriously remove the itty-bitty pieces.

Be sure to make use of ear, eye, nose, and throat protection. Remove all
sources of flame from the immediate area and wear steel-toed boots.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/2012 7:45 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Gramp's shop wrote:
A leaky toilet resulted in some mold on the vanity and I have elected
to build a replacement. I want to reuse the one-piece faux stone
top/sink. But in order to remove the top, I need to remove a
matching faux stone 4 inch wide backsplash.

Any idea of what was used to affix the backsplash to the walls and
how I might go about removing it without damaging the wall?

Absent visible screws, etc., it's got to be glue of some sort.

What's the wall made of?

If you don't want to reuse the backsplash, you can try shattering it with a
hammer, the laboriously remove the itty-bitty pieces.

Be sure to make use of ear, eye, nose, and throat protection. Remove all
sources of flame from the immediate area and wear steel-toed boots.

I am hoping to reuse the backsplashes and there are no visible screws
(sigh). I'm thinking about using a Dremel multimaster to try to get
some purchase at the edge and then switching to a pry bar. Wallboard is
easy to repair g.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2012 7:13 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
A leaky toilet resulted in some mold on the vanity and I have elected to
build a replacement. I want to reuse the one-piece faux stone top/sink.
But in order to remove the top, I need to remove a matching faux stone 4
inch wide backsplash.

Any idea of what was used to affix the backsplash to the walls and how I
might go about removing it without damaging the wall?

TIA

Larry

If it was formica, I suspect it was glued to the wall with silicone or
panel adhesive. If you are having a new backsplash it should be able to
cover damage incurred in the removal and possible patching. If it was
cultured marble, the same rules apply.

YOu might also try to get a thin braided wire (picture hanging wire)
with a wood handle at each end started in the space between the wall and
the backsplash. Saw the wire back and forth or up and down to cut
through the glue.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gramp's shop wrote:
A leaky toilet resulted in some mold on the vanity and I have elected
to build a replacement. I want to reuse the one-piece faux stone
top/sink. But in order to remove the top, I need to remove a
matching faux stone 4 inch wide backsplash.

Any idea of what was used to affix the backsplash to the walls and
how I might go about removing it without damaging the wall?

It is probably fastened with sometype of caulk/mastic. You may be able to
remove it in the same manner as mirrors...thin braided wire with a handle at
each end, work it behind and saw back and forth.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gramp's shop wrote:
[...]

If the backsplash adheres too well, prying might crack it (I really have
no idea of the strength). I've read of using wire to cut adhesive to
remove wall mirrors...is that an option?
Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

Gramp's shop wrote:
[...]

remove wall mirrors...is that an option?- Hide quoted text -

Usually the backsplash is just held in place by caulking. Use a medal
trowel along the wall and then a prybar of some sort to loosen the
backsplash. The trowel should distribute the pressure on the wall to
avoid dents. The countertop is probably just glued into place as well.