Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bath Vanity Question

Finally reached the last stage of a bath remodel. I'm planning a small bath
vanity, frame and panel sides, with legs rather than extending the cabinet
sides all the way to the floor. In this case I'd rather leave the existing
baseboard and 1/2 round in tact. My question is how to treat the sides of
the cabinet on the wall side of the case. I plan to have a frame and panel
cabinet back with legs parallel to the wall with the back panel frame dadoed
into the side frame and panels. Would it look OK to leave the back panel
with and 1-1/4" gap to the wall as long as the vanity top and backsplash is
mounted flush to the wall. or would it be better to extend the stiles on the
sides above the baseboard out to meet flush with the wall. Not sure what is
typical or best in this case, thanks.

Here is a link to the style that I have in mind:

http://plansnow.com/dn1104.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

d.williams wrote:

[...]

If it were me I would do away with any gaps. Specially a 1-1/4 gap.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

"d.williams" wrote in message
[...]

Personally, I would build that particular type of vanity so as to be flush
to the wall with the back legs. If it was a completely open style, that
might change.

Why" ... a much cleaner look, and gaps like that accumulate undesirable
things and are hard to clean in that type of environment.

In addition, I would also consider not putting a back on the vanity at all.

IME, it is much easier to deal with plumbing with no back, and if you use
escutcheons on your pipes, you get a much cleaner look inside the cabinet in
the off chance your MIL is looking around checking things out.

Just my tuppence ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 09:37:15 -0500, "d.williams"
wrote:

My question is how to treat the sides of
the cabinet on the wall side of the case. I plan to have a frame and panel
cabinet back with legs parallel to the wall with the back panel frame dadoed
into the side frame and panels. Would it look OK to leave the back panel
with and 1-1/4" gap to the wall as long as the vanity top and backsplash is
mounted flush to the wall.

IMO there is no perfect way to integrate a fee standing vanity into
the base set up in most baths.
If you notice the photos, they have strategically placed a basket on
the near side so you don't see what's going on with the base running
behind the cabinet. The close-up view however does show that they
left the cabinet away from the wall so I will assume the base runs
behind it.
With this particular cabinet it looks as though the legs are straight
on the ends so I would see no problem with removing the existing base
and then running it into the cabinet legs. If you can't get under the
cabinet to run the piece between the legs (if you can still see it)
run that piece first, set the vanity and then run the ends into the
cabinet legs.
Since you did state that you would rather leave the base and shoe in
tact, I see no alternative than to pull the cabinet away from the
wall. I guess that's what they thought too.

Mike O.