Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Replacing bath vanity

On 1/31/2012 11:24 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
On 1/30/2012 7:45 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Gramp's shop wrote:
A leaky toilet resulted in some mold on the vanity and I have elected
to build a replacement. I want to reuse the one-piece faux stone
top/sink. But in order to remove the top, I need to remove a
matching faux stone 4 inch wide backsplash.

Any idea of what was used to affix the backsplash to the walls and
how I might go about removing it without damaging the wall?

Absent visible screws, etc., it's got to be glue of some sort.

What's the wall made of?

If you don't want to reuse the backsplash, you can try shattering it
with a
hammer, the laboriously remove the itty-bitty pieces.

Be sure to make use of ear, eye, nose, and throat protection. Remove all
sources of flame from the immediate area and wear steel-toed boots.

I am hoping to reuse the backsplashes and there are no visible screws
(sigh). I'm thinking about using a Dremel multimaster to try to get some
purchase at the edge and then switching to a pry bar. Wallboard is easy
to repair g.

If the backsplash adheres too well, prying might crack it (I really have
no idea of the strength). I've read of using wire to cut adhesive to
remove wall mirrors...is that an option?