Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do they fix a home sliding over a hill?

A friends home is just a few doors away from a home thats about to
slide over a hill...

the backyards have gone from 15 feet to just a few, and that home
close by is about a foot and is for sale for 5 grand. Its vacant since
the gas company terminated service and pulled the meter for safety
reasons. its a nice ranch in a so so neighborhood. it makes me wonder
how the pros do it, theres over a 100 foot drop to the valley below.
it last sold for 6

Rappeling would be necessary to work behind the home

buddy showed me another house like this, the home currently sits above
ravine street. the foundation is undermned and collapsed.

that is you can look under the footer and concrete slab. maybe 1/4 is
exposed, i was afraid to get too close for a good look.

both homes are pretty nice and might make a nice investment for
someone if they could be stabilized........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 2:12*pm, bob haller wrote:
[...]

last sold for 69,000 $$$
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I would just use a couple of rubber wheel chocks and get a propane
tank instead of gas.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/26/2012 1:12 PM, bob haller wrote:

both homes are pretty nice and might make a nice investment for
someone if they could be stabilized........

Virtually no chance at such a late date (and zero chance of doing it
economically unless there's a multi-million dollar ocean view that could
be salvaged which would be contraindicated by folks w/ that kinda' money
would have done something before the situation had developed to this point).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 1:12*pm, bob haller wrote:
[...]

A lot of ropes bored under the house and then around the house and a
lot of bulldozers to pull the house onto safer land where it can be
put on rollers and really moved to a safe location

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 11:12*am, bob haller wrote:
[...]

You'd have to get a really good deal on fill dirt to make it worth the
trouble, assuming there's no underlying erosion issue causing
problems.

I doubt the 100 ft drop is purely vertical, so that'd likely mitigate
the fill amount requirements.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:26:27 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 1/26/2012 1:12 PM, bob haller wrote:

both homes are pretty nice and might make a nice investment for
someone if they could be stabilized........

Virtually no chance at such a late date (and zero chance of doing it
economically unless there's a multi-million dollar ocean view that could
be salvaged which would be contraindicated by folks w/ that kinda' money
would have done something before the situation had developed to this point).

I expect the house will eventually (soon) be condemned. It happens in
California with those "multi-million dollar ocean view" homes. From
beach erosion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike writes:

On Jan 26, 11:12Â*am, bob haller wrote:
[...]

Of course there is an erosion issue.
The hill is sliding into the valley.

You can drape chain link down the hill, rebar and cement
but ultimately the hill will have it's way.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 11:12:36 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

[...]

Califiornia, right?

I heard on the news a very convincing show about bankruptcy that said
that most buisiness owners try so hard to avoid it bankruptscy and
wait too long to do bankruptcy and that's why they can't do a good job
of it.

Similarly, I think this owner waited too long to try to sell his
house. Earlier, maybe it could have been moved to another location.
Althought since it's built on a slab, maybe there is hope yet.

They should build the houses with beautiful views on the other side of
the mountain, where the land is less likely to collapse.

If you want to see the long term results of hills sliding into
valleys, drive down the Shenandoah valley.
It's shaped like \ /
\_______/.

Calysta for First Tramp?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 8:06*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Wait till after the mudslide, and see if you can get them to drop the price,
a couple million.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"RonB" wrote in message

both homes are pretty nice and might make a nice investment for
someone if they could be stabilized........

This has to be Southern California. *That is about the only place I
can think of were people build ridiculously priced homes on eroding
cliff- sides.

RonB

actually the homes are in pittsburgh pa area.

both are for sale cheap, under or about 5 grand each.

one whole neighborhood of homes are in danger, ultimately 35 to 40

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RonB" wrote in message

both homes are pretty nice and might make a nice investment for
someone if they could be stabilized........

This has to be Southern California. *That is about the only place I
can think of were people build ridiculously priced homes on eroding
cliff- sides.

RonB

actually the homes are in pittsburgh pa area.

both are for sale cheap, under or about 5 grand each.

one whole neighborhood of homes are in danger, ultimately 35 to 40

Well they could be moved but that is a VERY expensive
proposition and the legitimate firms which are capable of
carrying out such feats of engineering are few and far between...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Umm, knock it down, of course! Only total idiots built in CA!

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

This is what you need:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...w=1366&bih=628

It is very expensive to install.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 7:12*pm, bob haller wrote:
[...]

Solution here. Dunno how permanent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt1FXmJKeJ0
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Another solution here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiS3k-ePmZk

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Another solution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiS3k-ePmZk
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RonB" wrote in message

both homes are pretty nice and might make a nice investment for
someone if they could be stabilized........

This has to be Southern California. *That is about the only place I
can think of were people build ridiculously priced homes on eroding
cliff- sides.

RonB

actually the homes are in pittsburgh pa area.

both are for sale cheap, under or about 5 grand each.

one whole neighborhood of homes are in danger, ultimately 35 to 40

Interesting. Do they know for sure they are all in danger? I can
imagine a situation where so many feet per year is going away and
eventually, all will go. But I can also image a situation where the
erosion will get to solid rock that will take another million years to
erode. Can you give us an address for this house or street name?

Pat
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pittsburgh? I thought that was steel country. Can they make some girders,
and excavate into the solid land, and better anchor the homes to firm earth?

Street name. Well, how does "Sunset View, Malibu, CA" sound? Maybe
"Cliffside Drive, Malibu"?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

actually the homes are in pittsburgh pa area.

both are for sale cheap, under or about 5 grand each.

one whole neighborhood of homes are in danger, ultimately 35 to 40

Interesting. Do they know for sure they are all in danger? I can
imagine a situation where so many feet per year is going away and
eventually, all will go. But I can also image a situation where the
erosion will get to solid rock that will take another million years to
erode. Can you give us an address for this house or street name?

Pat

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 2:12*pm, bob haller wrote:
both homes are pretty nice and might make a nice investment for
someone if they could be stabilized........

The only solution is to salvage what can be salvaged, and haul the
rest away in dumpsters at this point.

It's going to be too expensive to stabilize, and that's only IF the
DEC (Dept of Environmental Conservation) will allow you to stabilize
it.

I know a farmer whose barn was undercut by a creek that drastically
changed course during a flood. The creek was nowhere near the barn
prior to the flood. The DEC will not let them fill in and stabilize
their barn because it "changes the natural course" of the creek.

If flowing water is causing the problem, you can forget about saving
it at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike writes:

On Jan 26, 12:26Â*pm, Dan Espen wrote:
mike writes:
[...]

It could just be that the grade of the hill was too steep for the
material, and that once it is rectified, it could be stable, long term.

Like a lot of other people I guessed this was California.
Pennsylvania is a different story.
First the OP needs a geologist.

If this is a liquifying mud hill it's hopeless.
If there is some bedrock around the house could probably be tied into
that and get a really nice view.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/26/2012 5:53 PM, Evan wrote:
On Jan 26, 2:12 pm, bob wrote:
[...]

You don't work on all sides of a home to move it, you work under
it and inside of it to stabilize it so it can be lifted up onto
cribbing
then lowered down onto a house move platform to be towed to
a new location if the roadways which access the area are wide
enough to allow the house to pass through on them... The rest
of the foundation of the home is cut away after it is lifted onto
the cribbing before being lowered onto the house mover platform...

then you didn't see the mike rowe show dirty jobs where they moved a
house. they needed access to all sides to get the jacks under the
pressure points, so they could insert the girders that the house sit on,
which then were lowered onto various wheeled assemblies, when it was moved.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/27/2012 12:41 PM, chaniarts wrote:
On 1/26/2012 5:53 PM, Evan wrote:

You don't work on all sides of a home to move it, you work under
it and inside of it to stabilize it so it can be lifted up onto
cribbing
then lowered down onto a house move platform to be towed to
a new location if the roadways which access the area are wide
enough to allow the house to pass through on them... The rest
of the foundation of the home is cut away after it is lifted onto
the cribbing before being lowered onto the house mover platform...

then you didn't see the mike rowe show dirty jobs where they moved a
house. they needed access to all sides to get the jacks under the
pressure points, so they could insert the girders that the house sit on,
which then were lowered onto various wheeled assemblies, when it was moved.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak. Housemovers are a
pretty creative bunch; they do what works ime which often means
"variations on a theme" for a given situation .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2012 1:41 PM, chaniarts wrote:
On 1/26/2012 5:53 PM, Evan wrote:
On Jan 26, 2:12 pm, bob wrote:
[...]

I've seen a few moved in person and they were all done that way.
Usually starts out with poking holes in the foundation and inserting I
beams then jacking them up. In all of them they worked on all sides of
the house. In one move all the dishes, food, whatever were left in the
cabinets. Smooth move.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 08:41:26 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

On Jan 27, 10:54*am, Pat wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 08:54:04 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
Pittsburgh? I thought that was steel country. Can they make some girders,
and excavate into the solid land, and better anchor the homes to firm earth?

Street name. Well, how does "Sunset View, Malibu, CA" sound? Maybe
"Cliffside Drive, Malibu"?

I think I found it in a newspaper article. *Ivondale St in Greenfield
(Pittsburgh) PA. *Not exactly the kind of neighborhood one envisions
from your street names above.

wrote in message
.. .

actually the homes are in pittsburgh pa area.

both are for sale cheap, under or about 5 grand each.

one whole neighborhood of homes are in danger, ultimately 35 to 40

Interesting. *Do they know for sure they are all in danger? *I can
imagine a situation where so many feet per year is going away and
eventually, all will go. *But I can also image a situation where the
erosion will get to solid rock that will take another million years to
erode. *Can you give us an address for this house or street name?

Pat- Hide quoted text -

theres a carbon street home and one in penn hills. not steller
neighborhoods. low priced homes to begin with.

I couldn't find a carbon street in pittsburgh with houses on it.

the one on bramble street endagers maybe 25 homes all built on the
edge of a cliff

On the north side of Bramble, where it goes east and west.

I count 20, and I can maybe see a couple small back yards, but if I
didnt' know what I was looking for, I wouldnt' see it. Of course I
don't know how old these pictures are. The date 2012, even though
it's after the copyright symbol, must not ' mean anything. So it
could be much worse now. Darn google maps, why don't they keep
current?

I wouldn't even know there's a cliff there, but I think I see the
trees growing up from the bottom of the hillt. .

One house has a funny looking pool or a very big hole in the back
yard. The houses on either side might have small back yards. 6 feet?

Trees always make it hard to tell.