Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sliding dovetail angle for sliding

Hi

Does it make a difference what angle dovetail bit I use for a sliding
dovetail. I am (finally) making a few cribbage boards that the bottom
slides from the top and that is where you can store the cards and pins.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Larry C

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/30/2009 2:05 PM Larry C spake thus:

Does it make a difference what angle dovetail bit I use for a sliding
dovetail. I am (finally) making a few cribbage boards that the bottom
slides from the top and that is where you can store the cards and pins.

The standard ones with about a 15° angle seem to work fine for most
apps. I just finished a wooden tripod whose legs use sliding dovetails,
using the standard size bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry C wrote:
Hi

Does it make a difference what angle dovetail bit I use for a sliding
dovetail. I am (finally) making a few cribbage boards that the bottom
slides from the top and that is where you can store the cards and
pins.
Any thoughts?

The usual one...greater angle with soft woods, lesser one with hard woods
but either works for either.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 30, 2:05*pm, "Larry C" wrote:

Does it make a difference what angle dovetail bit I use for a sliding
dovetail. *I am (finally) making a few cribbage boards that the bottom
slides from the top and that is where you can store the cards and pins.

The greater the angle, the looser the door can be and still be
retained. I'd use a softwood bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm a bit confused. You say "that the bottom slides from the
top and that is where you can store the cards and pins."

IF what you have is a box, with holes drilled in the top for
the pegs, and want the bottom of the box to be able to
be slid out the bottom end of the box to access the inside
of the box where the pegs and cards are stored - like
this ascii "drawing"

/ o o o /
/ o o o /
/ o o o / box
+------------+
| | /
|.___.___.| /
||/ ||/
+-----------+
/ / sliding
/ / dovetailed
/ / box bottom
+----------+

THEN - you've be cutting the sliding dovetail GROOVE close to
the bottom edge of the box - leaving at least a quarter inch
of "meat" below the bottom of the groove. SO - I personally
would go with a simple straight sides groove - much easier
to do and tweek to fit than a dovetailed sliding groove.
BUT - if you absolutely have to go with a sliding dovetail
- then go with the shallowest angle you can get - say 6 or
7 degrees - 7 and 8 degree bits are easy to find.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
I'm a bit confused. You say "that the bottom slides from the
top and that is where you can store the cards and pins."

IF what you have is a box, with holes drilled in the top for
the pegs, and want the bottom of the box to be able to
be slid out the bottom end of the box to access the inside
of the box where the pegs and cards are stored - like
this ascii "drawing"

/ o o o /
/ o o o /
/ o o o / box
+------------+
| | /
|.___.___.| /
||/ ||/
+-----------+
/ / sliding
/ / dovetailed
/ / box bottom
+----------+

THEN - you've be cutting the sliding dovetail GROOVE close to
the bottom edge of the box - leaving at least a quarter inch
of "meat" below the bottom of the groove. SO - I personally
would go with a simple straight sides groove - much easier
to do and tweek to fit than a dovetailed sliding groove.
BUT - if you absolutely have to go with a sliding dovetail
- then go with the shallowest angle you can get - say 6 or
7 degrees - 7 and 8 degree bits are easy to find.

I thought the sliding dovetail would look better than a straight side. That
opinion may change once the first few hours don't go well.

Larry C