Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shower head

Recently (maybe 6 months ago) I replaced my 14 year old moen shower
head with another moen shower head. When I first replaced it all
worked fine but now I'm noticing some streams of water thru the head
go in another (slanted) direction rather than straight. I live in a
hard water area (Houston suburbs) so I expect this is the cause. I've
seen in the past saw tv commercials to solve this like using CLR. I'm
hesitant to believe the commercials so I ask here. One thing, I have
gold metal trim on this shower head so I don't want to hurt the gold
trim (perhaps shiny brass??). Suggestions?? Thank you.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 23, 10:48*am, "Doug" wrote:
Recently (maybe 6 months ago) I replaced my 14 year old moen shower
head with another moen shower head. * When I first replaced it all
worked fine but now I'm noticing some streams of water thru the head
go in another (slanted) direction rather than straight. *I live in a
hard water area (Houston suburbs) so I expect this is the cause. *I've
seen in the past saw tv commercials to solve this like using CLR. *I'm
hesitant to believe the commercials so I ask here. *One thing, I have
gold metal trim on this shower head so I don't want to hurt the gold
trim (perhaps shiny brass??). *Suggestions?? * *Thank you.

Ask Moen customer service for advice.They know the product,
limitations, likely solutions, too.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:48:32 -0600, "Doug"
wrote:

Recently (maybe 6 months ago) I replaced my 14 year old moen shower
head with another moen shower head. When I first replaced it all
worked fine but now I'm noticing some streams of water thru the head
go in another (slanted) direction rather than straight. I live in a
hard water area (Houston suburbs) so I expect this is the cause. I've
seen in the past saw tv commercials to solve this like using CLR. I'm
hesitant to believe the commercials so I ask here. One thing, I have
gold metal trim on this shower head so I don't want to hurt the gold
trim (perhaps shiny brass??). Suggestions?? Thank you.

White vinegar will dissolve the sediment in the shower head. Cost
less than CLR. Soak the shower head in a bowl of vinegar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Recently (maybe 6 months ago) I replaced my 14 year old moen shower
head with another moen shower head. * When I first replaced it all
worked fine but now I'm noticing some streams of water thru the head
go in another (slanted) direction rather than straight. *I live in a
hard water area (Houston suburbs) so I expect this is the cause. *I've
seen in the past saw tv commercials to solve this like using CLR. *I'm
hesitant to believe the commercials so I ask here. *One thing, I have
gold metal trim on this shower head so I don't want to hurt the gold
trim (perhaps shiny brass??). *Suggestions?? * *Thank you.

White vinegar will dissolve the sediment in the shower head. *Cost
less than CLR. Soak the shower head in a bowl of vinegar.

I usually soak my shower heads in white vinegar after I've heated it
on the stove for a few minutes. I don't know if it helps to heat the
vinegar, but since warm water seems to clean better than cold water,
I'm thinking it can't hurt.

However, I've also seen suggestions where you put a plastic bag with
vinegar around the shower head - without removeing it from the pipe -
and letting it soak over night. Seems almost like more work than just
taking the shower head off and sticking it in a pot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Recently (maybe 6 months ago) I replaced my 14 year old moen shower
head with another moen shower head. When I first replaced it all
worked fine but now I'm noticing some streams of water thru the head
go in another (slanted) direction rather than straight. I live in a
hard water area (Houston suburbs) so I expect this is the cause. I've
seen in the past saw tv commercials to solve this like using CLR. I'm
hesitant to believe the commercials so I ask here. One thing, I have
gold metal trim on this shower head so I don't want to hurt the gold
trim (perhaps shiny brass??). Suggestions?? Thank you.

White vinegar will dissolve the sediment in the shower head. Cost
less than CLR. Soak the shower head in a bowl of vinegar.

Yes, that's what I decided to do for the time being. I'll see how it
goes tomorrow after 24 hours soaking. My next approach will be to
use a paper clip in holes if needed only. Thanks Oren... your help
here and earlier posts are helpful ... thanks!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

here and earlier posts are helpful ... thanks!!- Hide quoted text -

Paper clip might be too big.

I've used a sewing needle in the past.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Maybe, don't know yet. Next option is a sewing needle.
thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 10:48 am, "Doug" wrote:
Recently (maybe 6 months ago) I replaced my 14 year old moen shower
head with another moen shower head. When I first replaced it all
worked fine but now I'm noticing some streams of water thru the head
go in another (slanted) direction rather than straight. I live in a
hard water area (Houston suburbs) so I expect this is the cause. I've
seen in the past saw tv commercials to solve this like using CLR. I'm
hesitant to believe the commercials so I ask here. One thing, I have
gold metal trim on this shower head so I don't want to hurt the gold
trim (perhaps shiny brass??). Suggestions?? Thank you.

Ask Moen customer service for advice.They know the product,
limitations, likely solutions, too.

Joe

Not a bad idea Joe

Several years ago, late 70s, I picked up a set of little drill bits
and a pin vise. They came like this sold as a tool for cleaning to
acetylene torch tips. I have found a thousand uses for them. Being an
electronics technician they received the most use cleaning solder out
of printed circuit boards.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 10:48 am, "Doug" wrote:
[...]

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

"I have found a thousand uses for them"

Please list them.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Recently (maybe 6 months ago) I replaced my 14 year old moen shower
head with another moen shower head. When I first replaced it all
worked fine but now I'm noticing some streams of water thru the head
go in another (slanted) direction rather than straight. I live in a
hard water area (Houston suburbs) so I expect this is the cause. I've
seen in the past saw tv commercials to solve this like using CLR. I'm
hesitant to believe the commercials so I ask here. One thing, I have
gold metal trim on this shower head so I don't want to hurt the gold
trim (perhaps shiny brass??). Suggestions?? Thank you.

White vinegar will dissolve the sediment in the shower head. Cost
less than CLR. Soak the shower head in a bowl of vinegar.

That's the right answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Stick with the vinegar it removes the buildup.
Poking at the holes only serves to put the crud into the shower head where
it will eventually get flushed back into the holes.

cb

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cleaning the calcium from the shower head with vinegar is the best DIY
remedy. Have you done any other plumbing jobs in the past six
months? Loose debris in the line may be part of the problem, as
well. Flush the shower head, in reverse, to remove any loose debris.
With the head off, run the water (hot & cold) to flush the pipes,
too. Lightly tap on the pipes, if you can, to further dislodge any
debris... . anything visible come out? I suppose your house has some
age to it..... plumbing, too?

Sonny
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 13:17:49 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jan 23, 10:48 am, "Doug" wrote:
[...]

Use 1
Use 2
Use 3
Use 4
..
..
..

You can probably complete the list yourself.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Recently (maybe 6 months ago) I replaced my 14 year old moen shower
head with another moen shower head. When I first replaced it all
worked fine but now I'm noticing some streams of water thru the head
go in another (slanted) direction rather than straight. I live in a
hard water area (Houston suburbs) so I expect this is the cause. I've
seen in the past saw tv commercials to solve this like using CLR. I'm
hesitant to believe the commercials so I ask here. One thing, I have
gold metal trim on this shower head so I don't want to hurt the gold
trim (perhaps shiny brass??). Suggestions?? Thank you.

I would take the shower head off, so I don't get any CLR on the rest
of the stuff.

First, I'd take it off and run a pin backwards thorugh each hole, to
get out little stones. If it's deposits, I'd use somethng just big
enough. I don't see how that could fail.

But if I still wanted to sue clr, if the head disassembles, I'd only
use clr on the plate with the holes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
news:e15ef1f7-9dbd-4093-b054- Several years ago, late 70s, I picked up a
set of little drill bits
and a pin vise. They came like this sold as a tool for cleaning to
acetylene torch tips. I have found a thousand uses for them. Being an
electronics technician they received the most use cleaning solder out
of printed circuit boards.

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

"I have found a thousand uses for them"

Please list them.

Thanks.

I use them to ream out the holes in the burners on my gas grill and used one
the other day to clear a clog in the nozzle in the windshield washer on my
car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:46:50 -0600, "tom" wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
news:e15ef1f7-9dbd-4093-b054- Several years ago, late 70s, I picked up a
set of little drill bits
and a pin vise. They came like this sold as a tool for cleaning to
acetylene torch tips. I have found a thousand uses for them. Being an
electronics technician they received the most use cleaning solder out
of printed circuit boards.

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

"I have found a thousand uses for them"

Please list them.

Thanks.

I use them to ream out the holes in the burners on my gas grill and used one
the other day to clear a clog in the nozzle in the windshield washer on my
car.

Got a link to them?
I want some.
What are you chucking them in?

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Recently (maybe 6 months ago) I replaced my 14 year old moen shower
head with another moen shower head. When I first replaced it all
worked fine but now I'm noticing some streams of water thru the head
go in another (slanted) direction rather than straight. I live in a
hard water area (Houston suburbs) so I expect this is the cause. I've
seen in the past saw tv commercials to solve this like using CLR. I'm
hesitant to believe the commercials so I ask here. One thing, I have
gold metal trim on this shower head so I don't want to hurt the gold
trim (perhaps shiny brass??). Suggestions?? Thank you.

Result.....
I decided to take the high road and just submerge the head in a bag of
white vinegar taped around it. Funny but after I got it secured in
place, the bag sprung a leak but with quick thinking, I got tape to
stop it and it worked good enough. I left it submerged for about 9
hours. My wife used the shower after my repair and said it was
noticeably better. In hindsight I should have taken the head off but
I was so careful when I put it on with plumber's tape 6 months
earlier, I didn't really want to disturb it so that was the reason I
took the high road.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 20:49:14 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Several years ago, late 70s, I picked up a set of little drill bits
and a pin vise. They came like this sold as a tool for cleaning to
acetylene torch tips. I have found a thousand uses for them. Being an
"I have found a thousand uses for them"

Please list them.

Use 1 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 2 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 3 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 4 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 5 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 6 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 7 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 8 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 9 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 10 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 11 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 12 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 13 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 14 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 15 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 16 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 17 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 18 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 19 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 21 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 22 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 23 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 24 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 25 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 26 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 27 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 28 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 29 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 30 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 31 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 32 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 33 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 34 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 35 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 36 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 37 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 38 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 39 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 40 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 41 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 42 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 43 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 44 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 45 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 46 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 47 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 48 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 49 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 50 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 51 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 52 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 53 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 54 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 55 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 56 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 57 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 58 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.
Use 69 cleaning solder out of printed circuit boards.

(to be continued.......)

I missed a couple here.. what was Use 20 and 59 grin ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 9:45*pm, Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

--Vic- Hide quoted text -

A pin vise. Looks much like oe of those bit holders for the miniature
screw driver sets except it has a chuck that opens up and closes down
just like the usual 3/8" drill.

Most peoplel use tip cleaners for torch nozzles and I have used one to
clean the car spray nozzles.

Do a google for pin vise. You'll get lots of sources for both the
vise and drills, mostly in sets.

I forget what the name is for those drills. Wire size drill bits?

Hawrry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

wrote:

[...]

Acetylene torch tip cleaner? should be inexpensive at your local
welding supply. That's assuming you have one of course. Not sure if
the Big Boxen sell them... but it's basically a little metal thing
about the size of a matchbook with little abrasive coated metal pins
in different sizes that fold out, much like one of those cheap Allen
wrench sets.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

wrote:

Recently (maybe 6 months ago) I replaced my 14 year old moen shower
head with another moen shower head. * When I first replaced it all
worked fine but now I'm noticing some streams of water thru the head
go in another (slanted) direction rather than straight. *I live in a
hard water area (Houston suburbs) so I expect this is the cause. *I've
seen in the past saw tv commercials to solve this like using CLR. *I'm
hesitant to believe the commercials so I ask here. *One thing, I have
gold metal trim on this shower head so I don't want to hurt the gold
trim (perhaps shiny brass??). *Suggestions?? * *Thank you.

White vinegar will dissolve the sediment in the shower head. *Cost
less than CLR. Soak the shower head in a bowl of vinegar.

That's the right answer.

Normally I would agree, I know it's safe on chrome plated brass, if
it's real gold plating it should be OK as well, if it's "gold-tone"
plating who knows?

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 07:41:33 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

[...]

A #60 to #80 set is probably what you're after. Diameters
are from 0.0135" to 0.035". The biggest problem is losing
them!

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do a google for pin vise. You'll get lots of sources for both the
vise and drills, mostly in sets.

I forget what the name is for those drills. Wire size drill bits?

A #60 to #80 set is probably what you're after. Diameters
are from 0.0135" to 0.035". The biggest problem is losing
them!

I already ordered this set.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Never heard of them before.
Used to put together model kits, mostly ships.
Just used nail clippers, a nail file and exacto knife to trim up
pieces.
But I've got a flaky gas burner here, and these might work to clean
it.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote in

m:

wrote:

[...]

I am an N scale railroad modeler. I use these minature drill bits
and pin vises all the time.

I get mine from Micro-Mark http://www.micromark.com/ .
I am not associated with MicroMark in any way wxcept as a customer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Carter wrote in
:

N8N wrote in

m:

wrote:

[...]

household VINEGAR will remove those mineral deposits,and cheaper than CLR
or Lime-Away. all of them are mild acids.

did you bother to check the Moen website? maybe they have cleaning info.

the "gold"(brass?) plating may be titanium nitride,and not much is going to
harm that.
brass plating would need a coating to prevent tarnish,TiN doesn't tarnish.

"John Carter";interesting....
are you familiar with Edgar Rice Burrough's Martian series?
Have you seen Princess of Mars or John Carter of Mars?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Recently (maybe 6 months ago) I replaced my 14 year old moen
shower head with another moen shower head. * When I first
replaced it all worked fine but now I'm noticing some
streams of water thru the head go in another (slanted)
direction rather than straight. *I live in a hard water area
(Houston suburbs) so I expect this is the cause.

The problem is Energy Star madness. 14 years ago you could buy a showerhead that
was self cleaning by virtue of the fact that the holes were large enough that
the flow of water would clean the mineral deposits.

These days, Water Sense shower heads are limited to less than 2 gpm, even less
than the previous low flow 2.5 gpm heads. The only way you can get any kind of
performance with that low a flow is to make needle size holes that plug up in
the presence of any kind of mineral deposit.

So you get a crappy shower and get to constantly clean or replace the shower
head.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote in
4:

John Carter wrote in
:

snip

"John Carter";interesting....
are you familiar with Edgar Rice Burrough's Martian series?
Have you seen Princess of Mars or John Carter of Mars?

I have been told of this one, but I more often am asked
if I am that Dr. John Carter from the old TV series "ER".
I do have a PhD and where I received my degree, they told
me I should use the title, I did only professionally. SInce I
retired, I am just plain old John Cartr.