Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chronic plumbing problems

Lately, it has been nothing but one plumbing problem after another in
my house.

My toilet valve doesn't always close completely, and will sometimes
drip-drip-drip into the lower bowl until the next flush.
Two weeks ago, the tub drain plugged up solid.
Last week my kitchen faucet fell apart.

Last night, I was waiting for a load of laundry when I caught a whiff
of musty/poo smell. I went downstairs to investigate, and found a
puddle steadily spreading from the sump crock as the washing machine
drained into it. Frickin' float came loose.

So obviously my plumbing is slowly crumbling... Should I just tear it
all out and start over, or deal with the repeated floodings and
disasters as they come?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 11:06*am, wrote:
Lately, it has been nothing but one plumbing problem after another in
my house.

My toilet valve doesn't always close completely, and will sometimes
drip-drip-drip into the lower bowl until the next flush.
Two weeks ago, the tub drain plugged up solid.
Last week my kitchen faucet fell apart.

Last night, I was waiting for a load of laundry when I caught a whiff
of musty/poo smell. I went downstairs to investigate, and found a
puddle steadily spreading from the sump crock as the washing machine
drained into it. Frickin' float came loose.

So obviously my plumbing is slowly crumbling... Should I just tear it
all out and start over, or deal with the repeated floodings and
disasters as they come?

just work the problems unless you want to rebuild your home.

how many years did you go with no or few troubles?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 11:06*am, wrote:
Lately, it has been nothing but one plumbing problem after another in
my house.

My toilet valve doesn't always close completely, and will sometimes
drip-drip-drip into the lower bowl until the next flush.
Two weeks ago, the tub drain plugged up solid.
Last week my kitchen faucet fell apart.

Last night, I was waiting for a load of laundry when I caught a whiff
of musty/poo smell. I went downstairs to investigate, and found a
puddle steadily spreading from the sump crock as the washing machine
drained into it. Frickin' float came loose.

So obviously my plumbing is slowly crumbling... Should I just tear it
all out and start over, or deal with the repeated floodings and
disasters as they come?

It sounds like the voice of frustration speaking here. I'm sure that
you are just venting. (pun intended) ;-)

Obviously, "tearing it all out and starting over" is no small task and
unless you are planning to spend a huge sum of money and live through
a major renovation, it's not even a viable option.

It sounds like a number of items have simply passed their life
expectancy. Replace them as they break and those problems will go
away for a very long time. It's just that they are happening all at
once.

Toilet innards are pretty cheap. Replace everything in the tank and
consider upgrading to a dual flush mechanism.

The kitchen sink was calling for a new faucet anyway, so consider a
pull-out sprayer model, soap dispenser and filtered drinking water
tap.

It was obviously time for a full inspection of the sump system, so now
is a good time to clean it up and replace any worn parts. You might
even consider upgrading to a battery back-up or street water back-up
system.

The stopped-up tub drain? Plunge it, snake it, remove the trap and
clean it. If the clog was very close to the tub, there no need to be
ripping everything out. The drain from my tub is less than 4 feet from
the toilet stack, so when the tub drain clogs up but the toilet still
works, I know that I don't have to search very far for the clog. It
always turns out to be the rat shaped mass caused by the girl's hair.