Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT physical questions about the sinking Italian ship

OT Does anyone know
a) what the water temp was where the ship sank in Italy?

How long can one last at that temperature?

b) how far it really was from the ship to land? Because of
telephoto lenses, it's very hard to tell. It was 9:30PMtwhen the
ship went aground, right? What time? I believe the ship backed up or
did something after that to get closer to land. Eventually it was
night. What time did the moon rise and how full was it? Was there a
a fulll moon on the 9th, 3 days earlier? Full moons rise aboiutt 6PM,
standard time, and rise 47.2 minutes later each day. Darkenss is
about 40 minutes after sundown, sundown is a little after 5 these
days. That mattered when I thought it was daylight wen the ship sanka
and if it had been, it woudl have meant was about 2 hours after
darkness before the moon rose. But there were lights in houses on
the shore.

c) All in all, how many people jumped overboard on the side near the
land, and how well did they do? Did they all get to shore. Was
there a beach, or rocks? What was the air temp? Would they
freeze without dry clothes? At what air temp and wind speed is
better to take your clothes than to sit in wet clothes?

How many people jumped over on the far side, which some of the time
was easier to jump from, or at least, if stuck inside, I would want to
go up instead of down, and if I could, I'd come out on deck on the
high side, the sdie farther from the shore in this case.

c What is that thing that sticks out of the side, blelow the water
line? It looks like an air foil, a water foil, but it's so small, 20
feet long at most, 5 feet front to back, I'm guessing