Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Front Door Chime wiring

Along the lines of my previous posts, if I can't clean it up to make
it work in place, I might take it home to work upon and then reinstall
if I can make it work. I don't know the exact model but it's a wired
Nutone (recent vintage) door chime. Nothing fancy just consider it
builder's grade. That said, anyone know the wire gage these things
get wired? What I have in mind is to extend the wires from my own
door chime at home to the floor so I can work upon the one in need of
repair. I know it's a light gage (fine) ... just not sure how crucial
it is to match so I can extend and work from the floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 1:59*pm, "Doug" wrote:
Along the lines of my previous posts, if I can't clean it up to make
it work in place, I might take it home to work upon and then reinstall
if I can make it work. *I don't know the exact model but it's a wired
Nutone (recent vintage) door chime. *Nothing fancy just consider it
builder's grade. * That said, anyone know the wire gage these things
get wired? *What I have in mind is to extend the wires from my own
door chime at home to the floor so I can work upon the one in need of
repair. *I know it's a light gage (fine) ... just not sure how crucial
it is to match so I can extend and work from the floor.

It doesn't matter. Speaker, phone, lamp cord are all fine to extend
it a few feet to temporarily work on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 12:59*pm, "Doug" wrote:
Along the lines of my previous posts, if I can't clean it up to make
it work in place, I might take it home to work upon and then reinstall
if I can make it work. *I don't know the exact model but it's a wired
Nutone (recent vintage) door chime. *Nothing fancy just consider it
builder's grade. * That said, anyone know the wire gage these things
get wired? *What I have in mind is to extend the wires from my own
door chime at home to the floor so I can work upon the one in need of
repair. *I know it's a light gage (fine) ... just not sure how crucial
it is to match so I can extend and work from the floor.

Whatever you have available, it is not critical at all as these things
use so low a current that anything much heavier than a human hair will
work. So, if you can physically handle the wrie, it is heavy enough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 12:59:37 -0600, "Doug"
wrote:

Along the lines of my previous posts, if I can't clean it up to make
it work in place, I might take it home to work upon and then reinstall
if I can make it work. I don't know the exact model but it's a wired
Nutone (recent vintage) door chime. Nothing fancy just consider it
builder's grade. That said, anyone know the wire gage these things
get wired? What I have in mind is to extend the wires from my own
door chime at home to the floor so I can work upon the one in need of
repair. I know it's a light gage (fine) ... just not sure how crucial
it is to match so I can extend and work from the floor.

Not crucial at all, for testing. 18-gauge AWG may be what the chime
may use. Any phone, HVAC thermostat wire or even Cat3 / Cat5 network
cable wire. A supply house can cut a length for you so you can just
get what you need from them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/2012 1:59 PM, Doug wrote:
Along the lines of my previous posts, if I can't clean it up to make
it work in place, I might take it home to work upon and then reinstall
if I can make it work. I don't know the exact model but it's a wired
Nutone (recent vintage) door chime. Nothing fancy just consider it
builder's grade. That said, anyone know the wire gage these things
get wired? What I have in mind is to extend the wires from my own
door chime at home to the floor so I can work upon the one in need of
repair. I know it's a light gage (fine) ... just not sure how crucial
it is to match so I can extend and work from the floor.

I don't believe that there is any repairable, replaceable, part on a
basic Nutone chime. It really makes no sense to remove it from it's
current location for testing, as you have everything you need right
there. The only practical reason to remove it, is to replace it with
another chime

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 15:33:29 -0500, RBM wrote:

On 1/9/2012 1:59 PM, Doug wrote:
[...]

I was thinking of cleaning the plunger if that'll make it work before
replacing. Possible on this Nutone?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/2012 3:56 PM, Doug wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 15:33:29 -0500, wrote:

On 1/9/2012 1:59 PM, Doug wrote:
[...]

Probably not. You can pull off the cover and see if the plunger moves.
There will be two plungers, one for each solenoid. The front door
plunger is double acting. It strikes the upper tone bar when pulled in,
and hits the lower tone bar when released. My guess is that that plunger
is frozen. The other plunger is for the rear bell, which you don't have.
It only strikes one bar (ding), that one is probably fine, because it's
not connected
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/2012 1:59 PM, Doug wrote:
[...]

In that case, I'll look at it and be prepared to replace. Appreciate
the help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Along the lines of my previous posts, if I can't clean it up to make
it work in place, I might take it home to work upon and then reinstall
if I can make it work. I don't know the exact model but it's a wired
Nutone (recent vintage) door chime. Nothing fancy just consider it
builder's grade. That said, anyone know the wire gage these things
get wired? What I have in mind is to extend the wires from my own
door chime at home to the floor so I can work upon the one in need of
repair. I know it's a light gage (fine) ... just not sure how crucial
it is to match so I can extend and work from the floor.

For that purpose, not cruitial. Most use 20 guage, but 18, 20, or
even 24 will work for that short run.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 14:56:25 -0600, "Doug"
wrote:

I was thinking of cleaning the plunger if that'll make it work before
replacing. Possible on this Nutone?

If it moves freely, it is not the plunger. Just pull it back and
release it to check it. If the magnet does not pull it back, the
chime will not work. All the magnet does is pull and release. I've
seen many go bad, never saw a stuck plunger but you'll know as soon as
you touch it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug,

My Nutone has a label that suggests that the solenoid plungers be cleaned
with lighter fluid if they are sticking. Have you tried that? The label
advises to NOT oil them. I fixed my doorbell about a decade ago by using
this technique
Turn the power off at the fuse box and give them a couple of squirts
while working them with something thin like a knife. Wait a few minutes
while the lighter fluid evaporates and dissipates. Turn the power back on.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/2012 1:59 PM, Doug wrote:
[...]

YES - as I've said many times. It CAN be cleaned if it is not working
because of dirt. How many times does it need to be confirmed?????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 19:16:41 -0500, "Dave M."
wrote:

Doug,

My Nutone has a label that suggests that the solenoid plungers be cleaned
with lighter fluid if they are sticking. Have you tried that? The label
advises to NOT oil them. I fixed my doorbell about a decade ago by using
this technique
Turn the power off at the fuse box and give them a couple of squirts
while working them with something thin like a knife. Wait a few minutes
while the lighter fluid evaporates and dissipates. Turn the power back on.

Dave M.

Not yet but I will either go with lighter fluid (if one can still buy
it) or compressed air. Thanks Dave for the tips.