Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Shielding Outdoor Lighting (PAR38)

I own a townhouse in a complex where we recently changed the outdoor
lighting on the grounds to simple two socket outdoor fixtures
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410uvXmvWVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
with 26W PAR38 fluorescent lamps. These replaced problematic 150W
halogen fixtures with the straight bulbs held in a spring loaded socket.

These lamps are on photocells but not motion sensors.

There's a woman in an adjoining apartment complex complaining that the
lamps are too bright (even though they are dimmer than the old ones, the
old ones were often non-functional). She complained to the city which
said that the lamps are out of compliance with the city code because
they shine onto adjoining property.

I'm looking for either a way to shield the PAR38 lamps so they don't
bother the neighbor, or to find a fixture that directs all the light
down. The fixtures are affixed to the wall of the building about 10' up.

We liked the bare bulbs because they are easy to replace without a
ladder, but even if we had shields over the sides that would not help.

The city mentioned a "shoebox" design but I don't know what means.
http://www.ci.campbell.ca.us/Planning/ZoneCodeExcerpts/Ligting%20Design%20Standard.pdf.

Anyway, I'd like ideas about ways to shield these lights so they don't
spill light, or for fixtures that solve the problem. It's just two
fixtures to replace if we have to change fixtures.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2012 12:01 PM, SMS wrote:
[...]

if my neighbor aimed those at my house, i'd be annoyed too. actually,
when they leave their floods on all night for their dogs in their
backyard, i do get annoyed since they shine directly into my bedroom window.

turtle fixtures
http://www.ledtronics.com/Products/P...ls.aspx?WP=877

you want them aimed downwards with no light spilling to the sides or out
past 45 degrees from vertical.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*Something like this might work:
http://www.rabweb.com/common/catalog/pages/HB101.pdf
Install a visor or hood and adjust the aim of the sockets to reduce light
spillage.

Here's something in an LED:
http://www.rabweb.com/product_detail...oduct=WPLED52N

I suggest going to a lighting store or to an electrical supply company to
see what else might be available. Ask them about light fixtures that have
"Dark Sky" approval.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 2:01*pm, SMS wrote:
[...]

Before you go any further you should read your townhouse rules. They
usually specify everything on the outside including what color your
door can be and how many/type of potted plants.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SMS wrote:
[...]

What does your busy-body city say about the moon?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
SMS wrote:
[...]

Probably they would say that the moon is not as glaring as those bright
lights.

Cities don't initiate laws against bright lights; fed up citizens who prefer
the moon and stars to someone's idea of glaring security lighting have to
fight for such laws. Democracy in action one might say.

John's idea of a dark-sky friendly fixture is fine -- lots of those around
including "shoe box" types. I've used the "Glare Buster" quite a bit. It's
simple, rugged, inexpensive and comes with a photocell. See:
http://www.darksky.org/index.php?opt...article&id=610

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2012 4:47 PM, HeyBub wrote:
SMS wrote:
[...]

We need more "busy-body" cities like that. I hate light pollution.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

SMS wrote:
I own a townhouse in a complex where we recently changed the outdoor
lighting on the grounds to simple two socket outdoor fixtures
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410uvXmvWVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
with 26W PAR38 fluorescent lamps. These replaced problematic 150W
halogen fixtures with the straight bulbs held in a spring loaded
socket.
These lamps are on photocells but not motion sensors.
. . . . ,
I'm looking for either a way to shield the PAR38 lamps so they don't
bother the neighbor, or to find a fixture that directs all the light
down. The fixtures are affixed to the wall of the building about 10'
up.

If you do Google search for "dark sky compliant", you'll probably get some
good ideas.

Also, here is one website with a lot of examples and an individual Home
Depot light that you may want to check out:
http://www.skykeepers.org/good_fixtures/ca-res.html

http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fa...atalogId=10053

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 1/6/2012 2:40 PM, Tomsic wrote:

John's idea of a dark-sky friendly fixture is fine -- lots of those around
including "shoe box" types. I've used the "Glare Buster" quite a bit. It's
simple, rugged, inexpensive and comes with a photocell. See:
http://www.darksky.org/index.php?opt...article&id=610

Thanks, that's just what we want.

We are not opposed to changing the fixture, we just didn't think it was
going to be a problem since the lamps used now are very low wattage and
they are aimed down as far as possible, and there is heavy tree cover.
It's a narrow walkway between the side of the building and a fence
separating the townhouse complex from an apartment complex.

This is a picture of the area: http://i41.tinypic.com/219dq47.jpg.

I need to go over there and look at it, I don't live there but I'm on
the board.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2012 6:09 PM, Ron wrote:
SMS wrote:
[...]

I put up 3 of those exact same Home Depot lights, they look good during
the day and at night.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote:

What does your busy-body city say about the moon?

We need more "busy-body" cities like that. I hate light pollution.

Then live in the freakin' desert.

Why should other change their life to accommodate you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Tony Miklos wrote:

What does your busy-body city say about the moon?

We need more "busy-body" cities like that. I hate light pollution.

Then live in the freakin' desert.

Why should other change their life to accommodate you?

What right does one person have to squirt light on another person's
property. It's no different than a barking dog or throwing trash over the
fence. Light pollution is a nuisance and those who are concerned about it
have a right to work to regulate it.

Unfortunately, there are now few places -- even deserts -- where there's no
light pollution. Death Valley National Monument has a fairly dark sky, but
you can see the lights of Las Vegas on the horizon.

Lots of energy going to waste in the sky.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Tony Miklos wrote:
On 1/6/2012 6:09 PM, Ron wrote:
SMS wrote:
[...]

I have two of them and I agree. I like them, but when I looked up the link
I did notice that a lot of people wrote bad reviews about them.

Also, for a more commercial location, the OP may be better off with some of
the models shown in the other link I provided or the ones that others here
mentioned. I think the more commercial ones will probably be brighter and
provide better security.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 1/6/2012 4:00 PM, SMS wrote:
[...]

I went there early this morning to look at things in the dark. I found
out that the person with the problem is actually in a different location.

http://i43.tinypic.com/w63yb.jpg

I have concluded that the complaint is ridiculous. Of all the always-on
lights in the area, ours were the least obtrusive. They are very low
intensity (two 26W PAR 38 lamps) and shine almost straight down onto the
driveway with very little spill. Other lights in the area, including the
ones on the building where the woman lives, shine outward from the side
of the building, not down, and are much more annoying.

I think that it's the fact that they are bare bulbs with no reflector
that is giving her the idea that they are a problem.

I saw these
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/14/14f4790b-b7e7-4c1d-98a0-ef541dd4b386_300.jpg
at Home Depot last night and I can retrofit the shield and socket part
of these onto the existing plate. This will satisfy the city that the
lamps are shielded.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:
SMS wrote:
[...]

I see these intensely bright street lamps a half mile away. Why waste all
that light??

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote:
SMS wrote:
[...]

My brother has those hangy things. I loved them and plan on getting some.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2012 11:43 AM, Ron wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:
On 1/6/2012 6:09 PM, Ron wrote:
SMS wrote:
[...]

Looks like a lot of problems with the motion sensors, I don't use that
feature, in fact I didn't even know it had that feature until I
installed them. I have them set to stay on dusk to dawn and at the time
I figured if the photo cells go bad I'll add a "real" photo cell inline
with all of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2012 8:43 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:

What does your busy-body city say about the moon?

We need more "busy-body" cities like that. I hate light pollution.

Then live in the freakin' desert.

I live in the middle of 5 wooded acres. I can only see a couple faint
lights in the winter, they don't bother me. People come here at night
and are amazed by all the stars they see. Some people don't give a rats
ass about the beauty of nature, many do.

Why should other change their life to accommodate you?

Uh didn't you know that the night was dark until people put up lights?
They are changing nature, I'm working with it. You probably have a
friggen street light at your house don't you? LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2012 9:36 PM, Tomsic wrote:
wrote in message
Tony Miklos wrote:

What does your busy-body city say about the moon?

We need more "busy-body" cities like that. I hate light pollution.

Then live in the freakin' desert.

Why should other change their life to accommodate you?

What right does one person have to squirt light on another person's
property. It's no different than a barking dog or throwing trash over the
fence. Light pollution is a nuisance and those who are concerned about it
have a right to work to regulate it.

Unfortunately, there are now few places -- even deserts -- where there's no
light pollution. Death Valley National Monument has a fairly dark sky, but
you can see the lights of Las Vegas on the horizon.

Lots of energy going to waste in the sky.

Tomsic

I completely agree, but unfortunately there will always be the ignorant
people who don't care about anyone but themselves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 15:21:40 -0500, Tony Miklos
wrote:

Uh didn't you know that the night was dark until people put up lights?
They are changing nature, I'm working with it. You probably have a
friggen street light at your house don't you? LOL

Our street light went out and a truck came to repair it. The guy
asked me how long it was out. I told him about six months. He was
astonished and asked when I reported it. Told him never, wished it
was out forever. It was the best six months since we moved here.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

wrote:

Uh didn't you know that the night was dark until people put up lights?
They are changing nature, I'm working with it. You probably have a
friggen street light at your house don't you? LOL

Our street light went out and a truck came to repair it. The guy
asked me how long it was out. I told him about six months. He was
astonished and asked when I reported it. Told him never, wished it
was out forever. It was the best six months since we moved here.

We had one that was out for two years. I asked my neighbor not to report
it because it shined in our window.

The replacement is actually much better, they put up an LED light that
we don't even notice.

We want to do what is right for this neighbor. We changed our lighting a
few months ago to get away from high-intensity quartz-halogen bulbs that
used a lot of electricity, burned out often, wasted a lot of light. We
need always-on lighting because of the riff-raff in that neighborhood.
The low-intensity fluorescent PAR38s seemed ideal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A well thought-out solution. Thank you from a dark-sky advocate.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Uh didn't you know that the night was dark until people put up lights?
They are changing nature, I'm working with it. You probably have a
friggen street light at your house don't you? LOL

Our street light went out and a truck came to repair it. The guy
asked me how long it was out. I told him about six months. He was
astonished and asked when I reported it. Told him never, wished it
was out forever. It was the best six months since we moved here.

I'm glad of the street light in front of where I live. I can walk up the
steep steps from the street at night without tripping on something
lurking in the dark. It also lights up the front yard so I can catch
any crack/meth heads trying to break into one of our vehicles. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2012 11:23 AM, gregz wrote:
wrote:
SMS wrote:
[...]

You can always put the leftover light in a storage container for later
use. Refrigeration makes it last longer. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Uh didn't you know that the night was dark until people put up lights?
They are changing nature, I'm working with it. You probably have a
friggen street light at your house don't you? LOL

Our street light went out and a truck came to repair it. The guy
asked me how long it was out. I told him about six months. He was
astonished and asked when I reported it. Told him never, wished it
was out forever. It was the best six months since we moved here.

Get your BB gun out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

SMS wrote:

I went there early this morning to look at things in the dark. I found
out that the person with the problem is actually in a different
location.
http://i43.tinypic.com/w63yb.jpg

Thanks for posting the new picture which gives a better view of the setup,
where your building is located, and where the complainant is located.

I have concluded that the complaint is ridiculous.

I disagree. From what you posted, I think the complainant has a valid
argument. There really are no trees with leaves etc. blocking the light
into her place -- only some bare tree trunks. She probably has sliding
glass doors where the balcony is located, and I assume that she does not
want the light from your fixtures shining into her place through the sliding
glass doors. Makes sense to me.

Of all the
always-on lights in the area, ours were the least obtrusive. They are
very low intensity (two 26W PAR 38 lamps) and shine almost straight
down onto the driveway with very little spill. Other lights in the
area, including the ones on the building where the woman lives, shine
outward from the side of the building, not down, and are much more
annoying.
I think that it's the fact that they are bare bulbs with no reflector
that is giving her the idea that they are a problem.

Even though the replacement lights that you put up are less intensity than
the ones you replaced, she may have not liked the ones that were there
before and maybe didn't say anything about them because they were already
there. But when she saw that you changed the lights, that may have prompted
her to think that if you are changing them anyway maybe you could change
them into something that doesn't emanate light into her place.

As far as the other lights in the area, she may not like them either. But,
yours are almost directly across from her place and balcony, so yours may
create the most issues for her. And it is possible that she also complained
about the other lights in the area, depending on where they are located. If
the other lights are up higher, it may be that not much can be done to keep
some of them from emanating down onto and into her place. But, since yours
are down lower, she may just not want to have yours emanate light up into
her place.

Plus, the lights that are on her building, which may create a problem for
others (including people in your buildings), probably do not create a
problem for her because they do not shine into her place.

I saw these
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...d4b386_300.jpg
at Home Depot last night and I can retrofit the shield and socket part
of these onto the existing plate. This will satisfy the city that the
lamps are shielded.

It looks like what you have in mind will satisfy the city and probably will
solve the problem for the complainant. A nice thing to do may be to ask
her.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Uh didn't you know that the night was dark until people put up lights?
They are changing nature, I'm working with it. You probably have a
friggen street light at your house don't you? LOL

Our street light went out and a truck came to repair it. The guy
asked me how long it was out. I told him about six months. He was
astonished and asked when I reported it. Told him never, wished it
was out forever. It was the best six months since we moved here.

Mmmm
Consider a slingshot
You should be good for another 6 months.

Wiki: Outdoor lighting NT[_2_] UK diy 0 November 8th 11 10:56 PM
PAR38 CLFL with frosted glass Jan Philips Home Repair 4 August 3rd 10 01:02 AM
outdoor lighting Maury Markowitz Home Repair 0 June 5th 08 07:29 PM
Low voltage vs. 110v outdoor lighting? blueman Home Repair 15 August 21st 06 05:46 PM
Outdoor Lighting Dr. Edmund M. Hayes Home Repair 4 May 23rd 06 11:00 PM