Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shielding Outdoor Lighting (PAR38)

I own a townhouse in a complex where we recently changed the outdoor
lighting on the grounds to simple two socket outdoor fixtures
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410uvXmvWVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg with
26W PAR38 fluorescent lamps. These replaced problematic 150W halogen
fixtures with the straight bulbs held in a spring loaded socket.

These lamps are on photocells but not motion sensors.

There's a woman in an adjoining apartment complex complaining that the
lamps are too bright (even though they are dimmer than the old ones, the
old ones were often non-functional). She complained to the city which said
that the lamps are out of compliance with the city code because they shine
onto adjoining property.

I'm looking for either a way to shield the PAR38 lamps so they don't
bother the neighbor, or to find a fixture that directs all the light down.
The fixtures are affixed to the wall of the building about 10' up.

We liked the bare bulbs because they are easy to replace without a ladder,
but even if we had shields over the sides that would not help.

The city mentioned a "shoebox" design but I don't know what means.
http://www.ci.campbell.ca.us/Planning/ZoneCodeExcerpts/Ligting%20Design%20Standard.pdf.

Anyway, I'd like ideas about ways to shield these lights so they don't
spill light, or for fixtures that solve the problem. It's just two
fixtures to replace if we have to change fixtures.

*Something like this might work:
http://www.rabweb.com/common/catalog/pages/HB101.pdf
Install a visor or hood and adjust the aim of the sockets to reduce light
spillage.

Here's something in an LED:
http://www.rabweb.com/product_detail...oduct=WPLED52N

I suggest going to a lighting store or to an electrical supply company to
see what else might be available. Ask them about light fixtures that have
"Dark Sky" approval.