Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Under Sink Cutoff Valve Tool

Sometime somewhere I saw a tool that would allow me to reach under a
bathroom sink and turn off a very hard to turn cutoff valve. Believe it
or not, I cannot get to the valve to turn it off unless I totally
disassemble the plumbing, which I hope not to do. Does anyone know where
to find that sort of tool? I don't even remember what it looked like,
but it seem to have an oval pocket to engage the oval knob on the
shutoff valve.

I'm sorry this explanation is not better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote in
:

Sometime somewhere I saw a tool that would allow me to reach under a
bathroom sink and turn off a very hard to turn cutoff valve. Believe it
or not, I cannot get to the valve to turn it off unless I totally
disassemble the plumbing, which I hope not to do. Does anyone know where
to find that sort of tool? I don't even remember what it looked like,
but it seem to have an oval pocket to engage the oval knob on the
shutoff valve.

I'm sorry this explanation is not better.

http://tinyurl.com/6p5rv4m

I'm sorry my reply is not better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote in
:

Sometime somewhere I saw a tool that would allow me to reach under a
bathroom sink and turn off a very hard to turn cutoff valve. Believe it
or not, I cannot get to the valve to turn it off unless I totally
disassemble the plumbing, which I hope not to do. Does anyone know where
to find that sort of tool? I don't even remember what it looked like,
but it seem to have an oval pocket to engage the oval knob on the
shutoff valve.

I'm sorry this explanation is not better.

Is this what you want?
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...943-03811.STC3
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2012 8:28 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in
:

Sometime somewhere I saw a tool that would allow me to reach under a
bathroom sink and turn off a very hard to turn cutoff valve. Believe it
or not, I cannot get to the valve to turn it off unless I totally
disassemble the plumbing, which I hope not to do. Does anyone know where
to find that sort of tool? I don't even remember what it looked like,
but it seem to have an oval pocket to engage the oval knob on the
shutoff valve.

I'm sorry this explanation is not better.

Is this what you want?
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...1886-943-03811

No, I'm familiar with that tool. The one I saw actually slipped over the
oval knob to provide greater leverage to turn the knob.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2012 8:28 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in
:

Sometime somewhere I saw a tool that would allow me to reach under a
bathroom sink and turn off a very hard to turn cutoff valve. Believe it
or not, I cannot get to the valve to turn it off unless I totally
disassemble the plumbing, which I hope not to do. Does anyone know where
to find that sort of tool? I don't even remember what it looked like,
but it seem to have an oval pocket to engage the oval knob on the
shutoff valve.

I'm sorry this explanation is not better.

Is this what you want?
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...943-03811.STC3

This one is not the one I saw, but it could work.

http://www.gordonwrench.com/quotes.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

First time in ages, I laughed out loud. Thank you.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Red Green" wrote in message
mcp6453 wrote in

to find that sort of tool? I don't even remember what it looked like,
but it seem to have an oval pocket to engage the oval knob on the
shutoff valve.

I'm sorry this explanation is not better.

http://tinyurl.com/6p5rv4m

I'm sorry my reply is not better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2012 5:19 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
Sometime somewhere I saw a tool that would allow me to reach under a
bathroom sink and turn off a very hard to turn cutoff valve. Believe it
or not, I cannot get to the valve to turn it off unless I totally
disassemble the plumbing, which I hope not to do. Does anyone know where
to find that sort of tool? I don't even remember what it looked like,
but it seem to have an oval pocket to engage the oval knob on the
shutoff valve.

I'm sorry this explanation is not better.

Might be better to just repair or replace the valve. I had one last
summer that would turn, but not shut off the water. I shut off the water
and disassembled the valve. Found the rubber washer had disintegrated
and pieces were blocking the valve face from closing on the other side.
Would never shut off no matter how hard I tried.

Just fix the problem before it gets worse!

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote the following:
Sometime somewhere I saw a tool that would allow me to reach under a
bathroom sink and turn off a very hard to turn cutoff valve. Believe it
or not, I cannot get to the valve to turn it off unless I totally
disassemble the plumbing, which I hope not to do. Does anyone know where
to find that sort of tool? I don't even remember what it looked like,
but it seem to have an oval pocket to engage the oval knob on the
shutoff valve.

I'm sorry this explanation is not better.

I call mine pump pliers. I hope that I break the GD, MFn, shutoff valve
so it will force me to replace it with a quarter turn shutoff valve.
No more "I'll do it another time". :-)

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:

No, I'm familiar with that tool. The one I saw actually slipped over the
oval knob to provide greater leverage to turn the knob.

Some of the cheaper valves have nylon stems. Even if it has a brass stem, the
odds are you will break the valve by overtorquing it. You probably should plan
on changing the valve.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:
Sometime somewhere I saw a tool that would allow me to reach under a
bathroom sink and turn off a very hard to turn cutoff valve. Believe
it or not, I cannot get to the valve to turn it off unless I totally
disassemble the plumbing, which I hope not to do. Does anyone know
where to find that sort of tool? I don't even remember what it looked
like, but it seem to have an oval pocket to engage the oval knob on
the shutoff valve.

I'm sorry this explanation is not better.

I think what you want is called "Vice-Grips."

Turn the water off first because its possible the recalcitrant valve will
disintegrate right in your face. Come to think on it, if you can turn off
the main water distribution, why fiddle with this valve?

IF you do get the valve to work, when you turn the water back on, back off
the valve 1/8th of a turn. The next time you have to fiddle with the valve,
you can turn it in either direction to unlock the frozen part.

I recommend spending a few bucks, about half an hour, and 200 curse-words to
replace the sucker with a quarter-turn ball valve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 8:28*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

pmstall new valve at more convenient location, and always install ball
valves, they dont tend to freeze in location, dont leak, and dont
decrease water flow
Posted to alt.home.repair

You know, the advertising companies used to sell the benefits of products.
Put a tiger in your tank, Chesterfields cure throat scratch, and the other
ads. Tony the Tiger says they're grrrrrrEAT!!!!

Now days, we advertise what isn't. Caffeine free, water free,
pseudoephedrine free, lead free, mercury free, cadmium free.

It's invaded usenet. Have a valve that's stick free, leak free, reduction
free.

Christopher A. (middle name free) Young
Learn more about (sin free) Jesus
www.lds.org (pop up window free)
..

"bob haller" wrote in message

I recommend spending a few bucks, about half an hour, and 200 curse-words
replace the sucker with a quarter-turn ball valve.

pmstall new valve at more convenient location, and always install ball
valves, they dont tend to freeze in location, dont leak, and dont
decrease water flow

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, you know. Some ball valves LIKE male fittings. It's not natural, and
God has spoken harshly against such plumberversion. Especially for sweat
fittings, and slip couplers. There are divine penalties for such sins. God
does not subscribe to the "National Gay and Lesbian Plumbing Fittings"
creed, either. God finds it abhorent, their slogan "put your male fitting up
to my ball valve, and we'll sweat it together". The other slogan "Can't get
it together, just **** it together". Equally abhorent.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

Since ball valves would have to be male valves.....
What do you use if you need a female valve because of the pipe
threads?

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

wrote in message

Since ball valves would have to be male valves.....
What do you use if you need a female valve because of the pipe
threads?

Vagina valves, available at a few specialty stores. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nothing gets past a vagina valve!

Are the Chinese or Russian ones different? How, so?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Vagina valves, available at a few specialty stores. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Since ball valves would have to be male valves.....
What do you use if you need a female valve because of the pipe
threads?

Vagina valves, available at a few specialty stores. ^_^

TDD

Darn, my mistake, it's "ovary valves" that are the equivalent of ball
valves. o_O

I was in junior high once too, darn I got in a lot of trouble! ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hook em up like Fermco couplers, except that you use fallopian tubing.

And a Gomco clamp, to cut the tubing to length. That's my tip for the day.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Vagina valves, available at a few specialty stores. ^_^

TDD

Darn, my mistake, it's "ovary valves" that are the equivalent of ball
valves. o_O

I was in junior high once too, darn I got in a lot of trouble! ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Nothing gets past a vagina valve!

Are the Chinese or Russian ones different? How, so?

Not sure about the Russian ones but the Chinese ones are oriented 90°

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Vagina valves, available at a few specialty stores. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message

Install new valve at more convenient location, and always install ball
valves, they dont tend to freeze in location, dont leak, and dont
decrease water flow

I have been retrofitting ball valves that come with compression fittings at
both ends
Procedure is simple - no soldering required
1) Shut off water
2) Cut pipe 1" apart
3) Install valve
4) Turn on water

And the cost differential is minimal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , mcp6453 wrote:
I don't even remember what it looked like,
but it seem to have an oval pocket to engage the oval knob on the
shutoff valve.

I don't think anyone actually answered the question. You're correct - it's a
piece of appropriately thick metal into which the outline of the standard
valve handle has been milled. So it simply acts as an extension to give you
more leverage on the valve.

I don't know what it's called. My wife bought it for me, and it sits unused
because I have no difficulty turning the valves. She thought it looked like a
neat thing to have - it's a nice shade of red.

Art

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 8:28*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Turn the water off first because its possible the recalcitrant valve will
disintegrate right in your face.

Can't anybody READ?

He can't REACH the valve because some asshat put it up behind the
sink.

He didn't say anything about the valve being stuck.