Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Under Sink Cutoff Valve Tool

On Jan 6, 8:28*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Sometime somewhere I saw a tool that would allow me to reach under a
bathroom sink and turn off a very hard to turn cutoff valve. Believe
it or not, I cannot get to the valve to turn it off unless I totally
disassemble the plumbing, which I hope not to do. Does anyone know
where to find that sort of tool? I don't even remember what it looked
like, but it seem to have an oval pocket to engage the oval knob on
the shutoff valve.

I'm sorry this explanation is not better.

I think what you want is called "Vice-Grips."

Turn the water off first because its possible the recalcitrant valve will
disintegrate right in your face. Come to think on it, if you can turn off
the main water distribution, why fiddle with this valve?

IF you do get the valve to work, when you turn the water back on, back off
the valve 1/8th of a turn. The next time you have to fiddle with the valve,
you can turn it in either direction to unlock the frozen part.

I recommend spending a few bucks, about half an hour, and 200 curse-words to
replace the sucker with a quarter-turn ball valve.

pmstall new valve at more convenient location, and always install ball
valves, they dont tend to freeze in location, dont leak, and dont
decrease water flow