Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default ok for hot/cold to mix in shower cutoff valve?

I have a leaking shower (two-handle, washers have been replaced by
plumber every few years, still leaks), and I was thinking of just
putting a shower cutoff valve on the shower head, the one where you
turn off the knob while soaping up to save water and then turn on the
knob to rinse off, and of course I would turn the knob to off when not
using the shower (ie. almost 24/7). But my concern is that with the
leak, the hot and cold water would always be mixing behind this cutoff
valve - is this true? Any harm in doing so?

I could just get a plumber to replace the old shower faucet and then a
tile guy to replace the tiles, but that's a lot of $$. If I do
replace the shower faucet, though, should I get a two-handle or a
single-handle? The other shower in the house has an old Moen single-
handle which works fine.
Also, is there any inexpensive way (fiberglass?) to overlay the
existing tile wall, so I don't need to clean the tiles and keep re-
caulking the seam to the fiberglass shower base?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On May 2, 7:59*am, "don &/or Lucille"
wrote:
if you do put a shutoff in the shower head then it is possible to have the
hot water bypass into your cold water wrote in message

....and vise-versa. It will flow in the direction of the draw. Hot
demand elsewhere will draw from the cold side where it normally would
be mixed in the shower between the valves. Some valves prevent this
from happening (one-way only).

bob

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote:
[...]

Assuming the leak is on the order of drops, any water transfered from hot to
cold will be minimal with the minor pressure differences the two will see if you
do shut off the faucets and the shower cutoff. Unless the shutoff valve really
shuts off completely, it may not solve your problem, but it won't be a mixing
problem of any consequence.

Is it possible that replaceing the valve parts with new ones could fix it? Valve
stems, etc are available at any plumbing supply store.

You really shouldn't need a plumber to replace faucet washers. It is a trivial
task in most cases.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On May 2, 3:12�pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

task in most cases.- Hide quoted text -

if you have access to the backside of this shower there are cover
plates so no tile work is needed.

one of the best improvements I made was replacing my old 3 handle
valve with a delta temperature flow control one, a single handle with
a temp control tat holds the shower to within 3 degrees of where its
set.

ended drips hassles washer replacements etc etc added lots of comfort,
no more scald if someone ran cold water elsewhere

my only regret was not doing it years ago

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote in message
I have a leaking shower (two-handle, washers have been replaced by
plumber every few years, still leaks),

I am unsure of what you are saying here, does the shower leak after teh
plumber is done or after a couple of years on a set of washers?

I suspect that you could probably learn to do this job yourself. This would
be a lot cheaper than a plumber

If I do
replace the shower faucet, though, should I get a two-handle or a
single-handle?

I really like the new ceramic disk fixtures. I installed an American
Standard faucet in my bath 15 years ago and not one drip. The handles turn
as easy today as when the thing was new.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

wrote in message
I have a leaking shower (two-handle, washers have been replaced by
plumber every few years, still leaks),

I am unsure of what you are saying here, does the shower leak after teh
plumber is done or after a couple of years on a set of washers?

I suspect that you could probably learn to do this job yourself. This
would
be a lot cheaper than a plumber

That just reminded me of my house. When we moved here, I was changing faucet
washers frequently. I installed a whole house sediment filter and have not
changed one in the past 15 years now. The town water has enough solids it
was causing rapid wear.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On May 2, 2:12*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I was considering a worst-case senario...as in, forgetting to shut-off
the hot and cold valves.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article , wrote:
[...]

I was thinking of buying a two handle shower tub control.
One knob for temperature and one for flow.
They come that way, and I don't know if they control the mixing your talking about.

My concern was using a single handle control, which should work just fine for trickling
cold water into the bat tub for the cat to drink when he asks.

greg