Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default How to check for space *before* denting hood?

I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
will hit the hood when it's lowered.

How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?

I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
wad size.

Thanks
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 19:29:12 -0500, micky
wrote:

I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
will hit the hood when it's lowered.

How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?

I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
wad size.

Thanks

A car accessory should tell you what car it fits on.
If not you just eyeball it.
Is this for those holes you were talking about making?
Anyway, unless you know how to do it, don't.
If you do, close the hood slowly when you done.

--Vic

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jan 1, 7:29*pm, micky wrote:
I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
will hit the hood when it's lowered.

How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?

I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
wad size.

Thanks

Cut some foam or something else that won't damage the hood to the same
size as your "accessory".

Sprinkle baby powder on the top of it and close the hood.

I'll let you figure out the rest on your own.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

micky wrote in alt.home.repair:

I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
will hit the hood when it's lowered.

How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?

I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
wad size.

Thanks

Ok, take a long broom or something else with straight wood. Place this
over the open hood. Measure under it to see how much free room there
is for the item. Now lift it and make sure you measure to same spot on
the hood, measure above it and add the 2 to see if it fits.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
will hit the hood when it's lowered.

How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?

I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
wad size.

Thanks

Cut styrofoam to size (comes with new electronic stuff)
and coat with titanium dioxide (sun block stuff).

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 16:49:09 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jan 1, 7:29*pm, micky wrote:
I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
will hit the hood when it's lowered.

How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?

I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
wad size.

Thanks

Cut some foam or something else that won't damage the hood to the same
size as your "accessory".

Sprinkle baby powder on the top of it and close the hood.

A good idea. I have some baby powder too!

I'll let you figure out the rest on your own.

I have to think about it.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:59:26 -0600, "cshenk" wrote:

micky wrote in alt.home.repair:

I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
will hit the hood when it's lowered.

How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?

I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
wad size.

Thanks

Ok, take a long broom or something else with straight wood. Place this
over the open hood. Measure under it to see how much free room there
is for the item. Now lift it and make sure you measure to same spot on
the hood, measure above it and add the 2 to see if it fits.

I like this too. I will try it tomorrow. Even if there are other
ways for this situation, I want to practice for when yours is the only
way.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 20:00:49 -0600, Paul in Houston TX
wrote:

micky wrote:
I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
will hit the hood when it's lowered.

How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?

I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
wad size.

Thanks

Cut styrofoam to size (comes with new electronic stuff)
and coat with titanium dioxide (sun block stuff).

I think this is best today. I have some near-styrofoam that I saved
from the trash just in case, and it's been in the way and getting on
my nerves. This must be the reason I saved it.

It was 5 feet long and an 3/4 inch thick, until it broke in half.
Couldn't figure out how I would use it but didn't want to throw it
away.

Thanks, Paul, Cs, Derby, and Vic

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
will hit the hood when it's lowered.

How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?

I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
wad size.

Thanks

Get a blob of modeling clay, or just make a still water-flour dough, put
it inside a plastic baggie (unsealed) and then do the squeeze test to
capture the representation of the clearance.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2012 6:29 PM, micky wrote:
I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
will hit the hood when it's lowered.

How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?

I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
wad size.

Thanks

Use a little kid or a drunk friend, the sounds they make will let you
know how much clearance you have. ^_^

TDD

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

I knew that eventually, we'd have a winner.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Use a little kid or a drunk friend, the sounds they make will let you
know how much clearance you have. ^_^

TDD

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 20:18:46 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

micky wrote:

I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
will hit the hood when it's lowered.

How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?

I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
wad size.

Thanks

Get a blob of modeling clay, or just make a still water-flour dough, put
it inside a plastic baggie (unsealed) and then do the squeeze test to
capture the representation of the clearance.

Also good ideas. I had thought of the modeling clay,, but didn't
want to buy new and then get it dirty with car dirt. I even thought
of dough, but again, the dirt. A baggie is a great idea.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
will hit the hood when it's lowered.

How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?

I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
wad size.

Use a light wadded ball of foil.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2012 6:29 PM, micky wrote:
I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
will hit the hood when it's lowered.

How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?

I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
wad size.

Thanks

Put both your wife and your dog under the hood and then close it. Come
back in 20 minutes and open it and see which one is the happiest to see you.

Don

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 01/01/2012 07:29 PM, micky wrote:
I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
will hit the hood when it's lowered.

How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?

I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
wad size.

Thanks

Try modeling clay, play-doh, etc.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
will hit the hood when it's lowered.

How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?

I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
wad size.

Find a child who is roughly the size of the item you are trying to determine
the clearance. Place the child under the hood, and close the hood.

If you hear a "clunk" when you close the hood, followed by a loud screaming
sound, you do not have sufficient clearance for your accessory item.

Jon

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

[...]

Yup, dont always have a block of styrofoam you can cut to fit. This
requires only a broom handle and a small kids ruler or in my case, the
simple sewers measuring tape. You can use a bit of string too for
measuring.Just mark it then put the marked ends together over the item
and see if it fits. Takes about 2 minutes.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jan 1, 7:29*pm, micky wrote:
I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear

it will hit the hood when it's lowered.

How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too

big?

I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the

original wad size.

Thanks

Cut some foam or something else that won't damage the hood to the
same size as your "accessory".

Sprinkle baby powder on the top of it and close the hood.

A good idea. I have some baby powder too!

I'll let you figure out the rest on your own.

I have to think about it.

LOL! If you enjoy cutting styrofoam for 10 mins or so to fit the
device then adding babypower and all that, you must be a guy! I'd be
done in 2 mins flat (snicker).

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Leave hood closed.
Drive immediately to doctor's office for treatment of injuries.

NOT!!!! FAIL!!!!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

Find a child who is roughly the size of the item you are trying to determine
the clearance. Place the child under the hood, and close the hood.

If you hear a "clunk" when you close the hood, followed by a loud screaming
sound, you do not have sufficient clearance for your accessory item.

Jon

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2012 7:29 PM, micky wrote:
I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
will hit the hood when it's lowered.

How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?

I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
wad size.

Thanks

Nobody else said it, so I will- go to nearest craft store, and buy some
of the crushable foam they sell for putting in the bottom of big vases,
etc, to keep dry flower arrangements and such from rattling. Basically
the same stuff you see them use on CSI on TV, to take footprint
impressions of suspects. Mock up your accessory, tape in place, and
close hood. Open hood, and see if your mockup is intact.

--
aem sends...

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

Use a light wadded ball of foil.

I was wondering how long it would take before somebody gave the right
answer.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

wrote:

micky wrote:
I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
will hit the hood when it's lowered.

How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?

I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
wad size.

Thanks

Cut styrofoam to size (comes with new electronic stuff)
and coat with titanium dioxide (sun block stuff).

I think this is best today. I have some near-styrofoam that I saved
from the trash just in case, and it's been in the way and getting on
my nerves. This must be the reason I saved it.

It was 5 feet long and an 3/4 inch thick, until it broke in half.
Couldn't figure out how I would use it but didn't want to throw it
away.

Thanks, Paul, Cs, Derby, and Vic

So today I used the near-styrofoam** and there's enough room. **It's
not open foam like styrofoam but a bunch of "plastic" spheres 1/2" in
diameter. all stuck togeher. But it doesn't spring back.

Also, Firestone was open and they sell Interstate Batteries, and they
had the very same model I have now. No handle. And room for the
Battery Buddy. At first I didn't know where to buy Interstate --
thought it came from one of those autoparts stores -- but their very
good webpage shows about half Firestone and a similar number of
independent mechanics. P.S. The height dimension includes the
posts!!

Tomorrow will be colder.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
hls hls is offline

"Pete C." wrote in message news:4f011430$0$30187
Get a blob of modeling clay, or just make a still water-flour dough, put
it inside a plastic baggie (unsealed) and then do the squeeze test to
capture the representation of the clearance.

*****
This is the answer I like best.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 1, 6:29*pm, micky wrote:
I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
will hit the hood when it's lowered.

How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?

I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
wad size.

Thanks

BTDT: Used a layer of newspaper at the bottom, added a sealed baggie
of 90 minute drywall mud, layer of paper on top and closed hood. Next
morning had the perfect impression of the space.
If cured mud can be cut to roughly the shape of the device all is
well.

Joe

OT engine compartment hood latch inoperable, how to open hood? William Wixon Metalworking 8 May 25th 10 03:43 AM
Hood Qeustion [email protected] Home Ownership 7 December 20th 07 09:08 PM
Redwood deck in Colorado: to space or not to space? [email protected] Home Repair 1 September 17th 07 12:27 PM
Hood Harry Home Ownership 3 September 13th 06 03:01 AM
cooker hood Valerie UK diy 4 October 6th 05 06:41 PM