Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Odd X-10 Problem: Apparently Solved

Recall the original problem where some modules in the house were not
properly responding to command.
One of the modules was connected to an extension cord which
appears to have had an intermittent problem (bad connection), so
sometimes the module was getting juice, other times it wasn't. I
assume this may have generated a little sizzle from time to time which
generated noise thus affecting other modules on the same circuit.
When I removed the module from the cord and plugged it into a
wall socket, the problem in that and other modules (presumably on the
same circuit) seemed to cease. Haven't had any problems for several
days now.
Does that make sense?
Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 00:27:34 -0500, frank1492
wrote:

Recall the original problem where some modules in the house were not
properly responding to command.
One of the modules was connected to an extension cord which
appears to have had an intermittent problem (bad connection), so
sometimes the module was getting juice, other times it wasn't. I
assume this may have generated a little sizzle from time to time which
generated noise thus affecting other modules on the same circuit.
When I removed the module from the cord and plugged it into a
wall socket, the problem in that and other modules (presumably on the
same circuit) seemed to cease. Haven't had any problems for several
days now.
Does that make sense?
Frank

Yes, I've had problems cause by similar situations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Recall the original problem where some modules in the house were not
properly responding to command.
One of the modules was connected to an extension cord which
appears to have had an intermittent problem (bad connection), so
sometimes the module was getting juice, other times it wasn't. I
assume this may have generated a little sizzle from time to time which
generated noise thus affecting other modules on the same circuit.
When I removed the module from the cord and plugged it into a
wall socket, the problem in that and other modules (presumably on the
same circuit) seemed to cease. Haven't had any problems for several
days now.
Does that make sense?
Frank

Yes, I've had problems cause by similar situations.

Suggest you destroy & dispose of that cord before it becomes a source of
grief.

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"frank1492" wrote in message
Recall the original problem where some modules in the house were not
properly responding to command.
One of the modules was connected to an extension cord which
appears to have had an intermittent problem (bad connection), so
sometimes the module was getting juice, other times it wasn't. I
assume this may have generated a little sizzle from time to time which
generated noise thus affecting other modules on the same circuit.
When I removed the module from the cord and plugged it into a
wall socket, the problem in that and other modules (presumably on the
same circuit) seemed to cease. Haven't had any problems for several
days now.
Does that make sense?
Frank

Yes. Like the other poster, I have had situations with various devices,
mostly those that have audio or video because of something fuzzy in a cord
or connection. Must be something internal, because there is nothing
visible, and when changed, it works fine.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 12:27*am, frank1492 wrote:
Recall the original problem where some modules in the house were not
properly responding to command.
* * * One of the modules was connected to an extension cord which
appears to have had an intermittent problem (bad connection), so
sometimes the module was getting juice, other times it wasn't. I
assume this may have generated a little sizzle from time to time which
generated noise thus affecting other modules on the same circuit.
* * * When I removed the module from the cord and plugged it into a
wall socket, the problem in that and other modules (presumably on the
same circuit) seemed to cease. Haven't had any problems for several
days now.
* * * Does that make sense?
* * * * * * *Frank

Umm yeah... The X-10 can't receive the signals to turn on or off if
the
module is not being powered when the intermittent bad connection in
the extension cord is causing an issue with the power...

Even if it were some how magically able to receive signals without
being
powered, if there is no power to switch on and off because of the bad
connection -- it doesn't have much to do...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Recall the original problem where some modules in the house were not
properly responding to command.
One of the modules was connected to an extension cord which
appears to have had an intermittent problem (bad connection), so
sometimes the module was getting juice, other times it wasn't. I
assume this may have generated a little sizzle from time to time which
generated noise thus affecting other modules on the same circuit.
When I removed the module from the cord and plugged it into a
wall socket, the problem in that and other modules (presumably on the
same circuit) seemed to cease. Haven't had any problems for several
days now.
Does that make sense?
Frank

That would be one reason X10 recommends their units NOT be used on an
extension cord. They are to be used only on wall or base mounted
outlets (at least that's what the instructions always USED to say)
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you missed my point. I'm thinking the intermittent connection
to the extension cord unit caused *other* modules on the same circuit
to act erratically.

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:39:13 -0800 (PST), Evan
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"frank1492" wrote in message
I think you missed my point. I'm thinking the intermittent connection
to the extension cord unit caused *other* modules on the same circuit
to act erratically.

An intermittent connection can activate the "local sense" circuitry on the
module and cause it to activate because "it thinks" someone toggled an
on/off switch.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"joevan" wrote in message

What is the best URL for Leviton units? I have some that I have been
using for many years and would like to update a few of them.
Are they all interchangeable?

I'd check with http://jvde.us/xtb/xtb_faq.htm - last time I checked he had
a lot of Leviton gear for sale that he got at various closeouts for
reasonable prices. There are a number of vendors on Ebay and Amazon that
offer good discounts. If you want good service and high prices, check
www.smarthome.com (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is X-10 ?

On Dec 30, 12:19 am, wrote:
I keep seeing posts about X-10.

What is this?

Andy comments:
If you go to google and use " X10" as the search parameter, you
will find dozens of articles ranging from devices on sale to the
technical standards for how the devices are made.

Ed has given you a good overview, and if you are still
curious, you can find the subject in any detail you want
using google...

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 8:14*am, wrote:
On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 05:45:10 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 00:19:35 -0600, wrote:

I keep seeing posts about X-10.

What is this?

It is a protocol for controlling home automation through the house
wiring. *There are appliance modules and lamp modules that you plug
into the wall socket, then plug in the thing you want to control.
Elsewhere, you plug in the controller and you can turn lights on and
off with a timer or manually, dim lights, etc.

I have some of my lights on timers, but I also have a couple of
outdoor lights controlled by the system. *Hear noises outside? *Push
on button and every controlled light comes on, including the one
mounted on my detached garage.

X-10 devices are sold by different makers, Smart Home, X-10.com, etc.

Ok, I know what you mean. *I have something like that, which I bought
at Radio Shack around the early 1990s. *I bought it to turn on / off
my old tv (no remote) from my bed. *There was a block to put in the
outlet and tv plugged into that. *By my bed I had a control that
plugged in to outlet and had 4 switches. *It was made to control up to
4 devices. *It's probably still around here in some box. *After
getting a tv with a remote I didn;t need it anymore.

These Radio Shack ones were not called X-10. *I cant remember what
they were called, probably Realistic (something).- Hide quoted text -

X-10 is much more sophisticated than anything Radio Shack sold in the
early '90's.

It's more than just ON-OFF.

e.g. You can dim standard CFL Spots with X-10 switches.

If you want to really high tech you can use your computer and Smart
Macros to control devices in some interesting ways, like having motion
dectectors turn the bathroom lights on at 50% brightness between 11 PM
and 6AM, full brightness during other hours and not at all during the
day.

I have manual dimmers in all my bathrooms to accomplish the same goal.
Automating it with X-10 would be cool, but would probably PO SWMBO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
typed:
I keep seeing posts about X-10.

What is this?

X-10 is a company. visit x10.com to see what it is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 08:23:46 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Dec 30, 8:14*am, wrote:
[...]

No, RadioShaft sold X-10 products in the early '90s (and all through the '80s
and '00s, too).

Calling X-10 "sophisticated" is a stretch, too. ;-)