Posted to alt.home.repair
joevan joevan is offline

Default What is X-10 ?

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 05:45:10 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 00:19:35 -0600, wrote:

I keep seeing posts about X-10.

What is this?

It is a protocol for controlling home automation through the house
wiring. There are appliance modules and lamp modules that you plug
into the wall socket, then plug in the thing you want to control.
Elsewhere, you plug in the controller and you can turn lights on and
off with a timer or manually, dim lights, etc.

I have some of my lights on timers, but I also have a couple of
outdoor lights controlled by the system. Hear noises outside? Push
on button and every controlled light comes on, including the one
mounted on my detached garage.

X-10 devices are sold by different makers, Smart Home, X-10.com, etc.

Do you know if the older Levitron units will work with the newer
units?