Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Home Preparedness tip

Local Day After Christmas Sale Idea For Preppers
by David Morris on December 26, 2011

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Thanks to all who sent me such
heartfelt emails and notes. I'm trying to spend as little time in front of
my
computer as possible for a few days, but I wanted to get this quick TIMELY
tip
out to you today.
It's a tip that I've suggested for the last couple of years on the day
after Christmas that a lot of you have taken advantage of.
If you've got the time, head to your local Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, Target,
etc. and buy some LED Christmas lights on closeout.
Home Depot even has sets this year that are solar powered and come with a
solar charger, Lithium Ion battery, a light sensor to turn them on
automatically at dusk and a timer to turn them off 6 hours later!
If you've got 120 volt emergency power, these are a great cheap way to keep
your house lit during an emergency.
A great accompaniment is the SMALL 1 plug cigarette adapter inverters that
you can buy from Radio Shack so that you can power the lights with a 12
volt battery. (FYI, the inverter probably draws about as much power as the
LED
bulbs do.)
And, if you want more adaptability, you can spend another $3 and get a
battery harness that will hold 8 AA batteries (1.5vx8=12v) so you can run
your
LED strings on AA batteries. The model I like is from Radio Shack, has a 9v
type connector, and works like a charm. It's current model number is
270-387.
As you're searching, you might want to look for these features:
-strings of lights rather than "icicle" lights
-a female plug at the end so you can run multiple sets in series
-wired so that the set will still work if a bulb goes out
-LED

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Yep. I got a couple of strings I'm going to use as subdued lighting for the
patio's pergola.