Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default earthquake preparedness - looking beyond the typical checklist, please share your experiences

"techman41973" wrote in message
I live in northern California and with the horror happening in Japan,
I want to prepare as much as possible for the inevitable big quake
on
the west coast. I've read the official government websites and made
sure I have everything in their checklists already in my house.

I want to take my preparation a step further and ask those who have
actually been through a major earthquake, what they wish they could
have done better to prepare.
One thing that's frustrating is that Japan atleast has a 10-15
second
warning system that gives you some time to duck and cover.
California
does not.

Go "tent camping" (no RV) in the woods for a week or so when it is
cold outside. And the rule for this is you *can't* drive to a nearby
store to buy something you forgot! (Or go home.) That will teach you
how to prepare to live without electricity, natural gas, etc.

Also buy a generator and prepare to live without electricity. Then
shut off your electricity for 2 days and see if you can get by with
the generator, the extension cords/power strips, and gasoline you have
for this. The rule for this is you can't go buy anything during the
two days. If power were out everywhere, you would not be able to buy
gas or anything. Gas pumps and cash registers need electricity to run.

(I live in a rural area where the electricity goes out sometimes for
two days. I've learned to stock up on gas, keep my vehicles full of
gas (have siphon to get gas out of vehicle gas tanks if necessary to
run generator). I have plenty of long extension cords and power strips
for the generator (can only run a few things at a time on the
generator, so need many cords to go where you need them).

Also the neighbors get ticked if you run the generator after 10 pm, so
it is shut off for the night, then you need flashlights / camping
lights / candles / oil lamps.

Then cook on Coleman camp stove or BBQ. Can heat water on that for
dish washing (learn that camping).

You can buy a generator and "think" you are prepared, but not until
you actually use it for a few days will you realize how much gasoline
you will need, extra cords (heavy duty 12 gauge contractor cords),
power strips, and learn the limitations of what all it can power.