Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old Shop Tools

My father left me several tools (Craftsman drill press, Craftsman radial arm
saw, Rockwell 14 band saw, unknown brand shaper) that are 50 years old or older.
I don't have a shop, room for a shop, or the skills necessary to align and
maintain these tools. Are tools of this vintage generally desirable or are they
junk?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/26/2011 9:03 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
My father left me several tools (Craftsman drill press, Craftsman radial arm
saw, Rockwell 14 band saw, unknown brand shaper) that are 50 years old or older.
I don't have a shop, room for a shop, or the skills necessary to align and
maintain these tools. Are tools of this vintage generally desirable or are they
junk?

Generally, the older the Craftsman, the better.

The Rockwell bandsaw is a classic; the shaper may or may not be of much
value depending on size, etc., etc., etc., that are unknown.

The drill press is probably of interest to many; the RAS has fallen from
general favor (altho I'm a strong proponent, my situation is a little
out of the average ahr as I have large shop and 16" beastie for a RAS)
and so, while undoubtedly of use is likely to generate little interest
except for the piranhas circling for the kill.

I'd suggest finding a friend who is knowledgeable locally and getting
guidance there if really do not have a place or the desire to create
such. And condolences on your loss...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-12-26, mcp6453 wrote:
My father left me several tools (Craftsman drill press, Craftsman radial arm
saw, Rockwell 14 band saw, unknown brand shaper) that are 50 years old or older.
I don't have a shop, room for a shop, or the skills necessary to align and
maintain these tools. Are tools of this vintage generally desirable or are they
junk?

I'd say no.

I worked with a group of cabinet makers that were hired for a large
project. All power tools were supplied, mostly Craftsmen. This way
back in '72. They cabinet makers and carpenters complained mightily
about the poor performance and quality of the Craftman tools, table
saws, radial saws, planners, etc. Later, around 78', I had the
displeasure of using a Craftsman floor sized drill press. Personally,
I wouldn't spend five cents for anything Craftsman has made in the
last 50 yrs. Jes my opinion.

nb

--
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 10:03:07 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

My father left me several tools (Craftsman drill press, Craftsman radial arm
saw, Rockwell 14 band saw, unknown brand shaper) that are 50 years old or older.
I don't have a shop, room for a shop, or the skills necessary to align and
maintain these tools. Are tools of this vintage generally desirable or are they
junk?

It won't make you wealthy, but those tools do have some value to a
woodworker. 50 years ago, Craftsman tools were pretty good and a
Rockwell bandsaw is worth cleaning up as it is better than most new
saws today.

Find out if there is a woodworker in the area, or a club and they will
help you put some $ value to them. Possibly even make an offer for
them.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/26/2011 9:54 AM, notbob wrote:
On 2011-12-26, wrote:
[...]

'72 is only 40 years; the OP says they're at least 50...if so, that can
make worlds of difference. It also depends greatly on just which models
they are--even then, Craftsman had a wide range of products from
entry-level to not bad at all for home/light commercial use.

The Rockwell bandsaw is a classic; that it's in the collection would
make me tend to think OP's father wasn't strapped and perhaps bought
higher end. I still recommend he get some local input from somebody
who's into woodworking before jumping the gun or at least post pictures
and link thereto to rec.woodworking; there's a bunch over there w/ wide
range of gear to check against.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Would you like fish or meat?"
"Yes."

(Old line from the Airplane movie, where people got sick, and a passenger
had to land the commercial airliner.)
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Airplane!
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 10:03:07 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:
Are tools of this vintage generally desirable or are they junk?

Do you mean "do people want them" or do you mean "are they worth
anything" - there's often a difference :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:
My father left me several tools (Craftsman drill press, Craftsman
radial arm saw, Rockwell 14 band saw, unknown brand shaper) that are
50 years old or older. I don't have a shop, room for a shop, or the
skills necessary to align and maintain these tools. Are tools of this
vintage generally desirable or are they junk?

Definitely not junk. Put 'em on your local Craigslist. I'd start:

Drill Press, $50 table model, $100 floor model
RAS - $75
Band Saw - $150
Shaper - $50

And see what happens. You can re-list them at lower prices if no takers.

Clean them up first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 14:18:31 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

mcp6453 wrote:
My father left me several tools (Craftsman drill press, Craftsman
radial arm saw, Rockwell 14 band saw, unknown brand shaper) that are
50 years old or older. I don't have a shop, room for a shop, or the
skills necessary to align and maintain these tools. Are tools of this
vintage generally desirable or are they junk?

Definitely not junk. Put 'em on your local Craigslist. I'd start:

Drill Press, $50 table model, $100 floor model
RAS - $75

Might be able to get more than that for it by "turning it in". Sears had
several recalls for their RASs. I just got a new table and guard for mine
(not yet installed). DAGS on "Craftsman +recall".

Band Saw - $150

Might be on the high side.

Shaper - $50

If it's a real shaper, it might pull more than that.

And see what happens. You can re-list them at lower prices if no takers.

Clean them up first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2011 10:55 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 10:03:07 -0500, wrote:

My father left me several tools (Craftsman drill press, Craftsman radial arm
saw, Rockwell 14 band saw, unknown brand shaper) that are 50 years old or older.
I don't have a shop, room for a shop, or the skills necessary to align and
maintain these tools. Are tools of this vintage generally desirable or are they
junk?

It won't make you wealthy, but those tools do have some value to a
woodworker. 50 years ago, Craftsman tools were pretty good and a
Rockwell bandsaw is worth cleaning up as it is better than most new
saws today.

Find out if there is a woodworker in the area, or a club and they will
help you put some $ value to them. Possibly even make an offer for
them.

I agree, they're all probably better quality than anything in your local
Sears today, and the Rockwell band saw is likely a gem unless it needs
serious repairs.

where'd you say you lived again...?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 19:50:07 -0500, Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

That's certainly not saying much. Sears sells absolute crap, today, and at
real tool prices.

and the Rockwell band saw is likely a gem unless it needs
serious repairs.

where'd you say you lived again...?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 9:03*am, mcp6453 wrote:
My father left me several tools (Craftsman drill press, Craftsman radial arm
saw, Rockwell 14 band saw, unknown brand shaper) that are 50 years old or older.
I don't have a shop, room for a shop, or the skills necessary to align and
maintain these tools. Are tools of this vintage generally desirable or are they
junk?

My Dad always, well sometimes, said the best way to find the value
of something
is to put it up for auction. Ebay would be one way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 19:19:46 -0800 (PST), Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On Dec 26, 9:03Â*am, mcp6453 wrote:
My father left me several tools (Craftsman drill press, Craftsman radial arm
saw, Rockwell 14 band saw, unknown brand shaper) that are 50 years old or older.
I don't have a shop, room for a shop, or the skills necessary to align and
maintain these tools. Are tools of this vintage generally desirable or are they
junk?

My Dad always, well sometimes, said the best way to find the value
of something
is to put it up for auction. Ebay would be one way.

"an item is worth EXACTLY what the highest bidder is willint o pay -
not one penny less, nor one penny more"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 12:18*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
My father left me several tools (Craftsman drill press, Craftsman
radial arm saw, Rockwell 14 band saw, unknown brand shaper) that are
50 years old or older. I don't have a shop, room for a shop, or the
skills necessary to align and maintain these tools. Are tools of this
vintage generally desirable or are they junk?

Definitely not junk. Put 'em on your local Craigslist. I'd start:

Drill Press, $50 table model, $100 floor model
RAS - $75
Band Saw - $150
Shaper - $50

And see what happens. You can re-list them at lower prices if no takers.

Clean them up first.

Those prices are way too low for starting. Craftsman or not, they are
tools and fine for homeowner if they aren't into building furniture.
The Rockwell alone should bring a couple hundred at leasst.

Harry K

Shop tools Leon[_6_] Home Repair 8 November 2nd 09 04:11 PM
Shop tools propman[_6_] Home Repair 0 November 1st 09 02:52 AM
Shop Fox Tools Marty K Woodworking 6 April 15th 07 12:38 AM
Log too big for my shop tools ?!?! Mike Schwarz Woodworking 23 June 27th 05 09:07 AM
TOOLS! Great Holiday Gifts, selling a shop full of tools (AUBURN, WA pickup only): fred Woodworking 1 December 21st 04 07:25 AM