Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old Shop Tools

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 19:50:07 -0500, Nate Nagel wrote:

On 12/26/2011 10:55 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 10:03:07 -0500, wrote:

My father left me several tools (Craftsman drill press, Craftsman radial arm
saw, Rockwell 14 band saw, unknown brand shaper) that are 50 years old or older.
I don't have a shop, room for a shop, or the skills necessary to align and
maintain these tools. Are tools of this vintage generally desirable or are they
junk?

It won't make you wealthy, but those tools do have some value to a
woodworker. 50 years ago, Craftsman tools were pretty good and a
Rockwell bandsaw is worth cleaning up as it is better than most new
saws today.

Find out if there is a woodworker in the area, or a club and they will
help you put some $ value to them. Possibly even make an offer for
them.

I agree, they're all probably better quality than anything in your local
Sears today,

That's certainly not saying much. Sears sells absolute crap, today, and at
real tool prices.

and the Rockwell band saw is likely a gem unless it needs
serious repairs.

where'd you say you lived again...?