Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does the Zircon Studsensor SL actually find a stud?

The only stud sensor I've used is the "Zircon Studsensor SL" (black
package) and it rarely finds the stud, even when I know where they are.

It's so frustrating, that, for the past few years, I just left it in the
drawer and used the hollow-knock method.

But, today I pulled it out and tried to use it - and again was frustrated
by its lack of repeatability.

Even when I know a stud is there, it is hit or miss with this thing.

Does anyone else have this particular studsensor who can tell me if it's
just mine or if they're all just as worthless?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 7:33*pm, Chuck Banshee wrote:
The only stud sensor I've used is the "Zircon Studsensor SL" (black
package) and it rarely finds the stud, even when I know where they are.

It's so frustrating, that, for the past few years, I just left it in the
drawer and used the hollow-knock method.

But, today I pulled it out and tried to use it - and again was frustrated
by its lack of repeatability.

Even when I know a stud is there, it is hit or miss with this thing.

Does anyone else have this particular studsensor who can tell me if it's
just mine or if they're all just as worthless?

I've had several stud finders (all Zircons) over the years.
I have found them to be, at best, rather unreliable.

I use them as a "rough" indication.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/22/2011 9:52 PM, DD_BobK wrote:
On Dec 22, 7:33 pm, Chuck wrote:
The only stud sensor I've used is the "Zircon Studsensor SL" (black
package) and it rarely finds the stud, even when I know where they are.

It's so frustrating, that, for the past few years, I just left it in the
drawer and used the hollow-knock method.

But, today I pulled it out and tried to use it - and again was frustrated
by its lack of repeatability.

Even when I know a stud is there, it is hit or miss with this thing.

Does anyone else have this particular studsensor who can tell me if it's
just mine or if they're all just as worthless?

I've had several stud finders (all Zircons) over the years.
I have found them to be, at best, rather unreliable.

I use them as a "rough" indication.

cheers
Bob

I have two different models I've had for years and they work very well.
It must be a matter of experience interpreting the indications. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 3:33*am, Chuck Banshee wrote:
The only stud sensor I've used is the "Zircon Studsensor SL" (black
package) and it rarely finds the stud, even when I know where they are.

It's so frustrating, that, for the past few years, I just left it in the
drawer and used the hollow-knock method.

But, today I pulled it out and tried to use it - and again was frustrated
by its lack of repeatability.

Even when I know a stud is there, it is hit or miss with this thing.

Does anyone else have this particular studsensor who can tell me if it's
just mine or if they're all just as worthless?

Some stud finders actually find nails. If you miss the nail, you miss
the stud.
You need to work in both directions if you see what I mean.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 7:33 pm, Chuck *wrote:
[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

I;ve had one for decades too and it still works fine.
OP should read the directions and make sure he's
using it correctly. Or it could just be a bad one.
On mine, procedure is to place it against the wall,
hold the button until the lights go out. Then slide
it along the wall. When it gets close to a stud the
lights start to go on, rising as it actually reaches the
stud, with all lights on when over the stud. Then
they stay on and start to go down as you move
past the stud.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 10:33*pm, Chuck Banshee wrote:
The only stud sensor I've used is the "Zircon Studsensor SL" (black
package) and it rarely finds the stud, even when I know where they are.

It's so frustrating, that, for the past few years, I just left it in the
drawer and used the hollow-knock method.

But, today I pulled it out and tried to use it - and again was frustrated
by its lack of repeatability.

Even when I know a stud is there, it is hit or miss with this thing.

Does anyone else have this particular studsensor who can tell me if it's
just mine or if they're all just as worthless?

I've had good results, but not 100% perfect, with the Zircon brand
over the last 25 or so years. Dont forget to calibrate it bfore each
use by pressing the button while the instrument is over a cavity
between the studs, and then traverse it horizontally.
JoeG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2011 6:57 AM, wrote:

On Dec 22, 7:33 pm, Chuck wrote:
[...]

I guess because I often know what's behind the wall covering, I can
correlate it with the readings I see. It reminds me of the early radar
systems where the radar operator didn't have all the fancy computer
generated numerical readouts requiring the operator to have the
knowledge to interpret the the squiggly lines on the radar screen. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 01:32:26 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:
It must be a matter of experience interpreting the indications. ^_^

You said it nicely so I'm not offended ... but I'm absolutely positive
I'm using it correctly!

I read the instructions nicely printed on the back of the Zircon
Studsensor SL and it sometimes works perfectly (i.e., I calibrate in a
middle spot, and then slowly horizontally glide past where I know the
stud to be).

Sometimes the lights and sound work perfectly. Most times they do not.

I just wanted to know if it was all (most?) stud finders or just mine. It
seems like, from the answers, that some suck (like mine) and others work
just fine.

I tried to dig up reviews for the best electronic stud locators to buy
but I'm surprised Consumer Reports hasn't tested them ever (they have
only a one-page article on dodads of which they extoll the virtues of
stud finders but they don't test them).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 02:54:38 -0800, harry wrote:
You need to work in both directions if you see what I mean.

I do work in both directions.

Problems is that the stud finder that I have won't give the same answer
twice. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

I just wanted to know if that was 'normal' or not - and - it seems that
most of you have decent stud finders (while some have similar problems).

If only I could find a good review of current electronic stud finders so
that I could just buy a decent one.

Unfortunately Consumer Reports has never tested them and Popular
Mechanics has a test but they actually found the Zircon to be usable
(which I find suspect and maybe paid for by advertisements).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 08:12:02 -0800, GROVER wrote:
Dont forget to calibrate it bfore each use by
pressing the button while the instrument is over a cavity between the
studs, and then traverse it horizontally.

I do calibrate it.

I read the instructions.

It must just be the one that I have because most of you are happy with
your stud finders.

Here is a picture of what I ended up using to find the studs!
http://picturepush.com/public/7212874

NOTE: I'm not sure if that URL works since I've never used picture
posting sites before so here's another way to the same picture if it
works:
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...nonymous/cat5-
questions.gif

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck Banshee wrote in
:

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 02:54:38 -0800, harry wrote:
You need to work in both directions if you see what I mean.

I do work in both directions.

Problems is that the stud finder that I have won't give the same answer
twice. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

I just wanted to know if that was 'normal' or not - and - it seems that
most of you have decent stud finders (while some have similar problems).

If only I could find a good review of current electronic stud finders so
that I could just buy a decent one.

Unfortunately Consumer Reports has never tested them and Popular
Mechanics has a test but they actually found the Zircon to be usable
(which I find suspect and maybe paid for by advertisements).

I have an earlier Zircon studfinder(no sound,just LEDs) that works. it
found the ceiling studs so I could mount my ceiling fan.I had to use
cardboard to cover the popcorn finish so the Zircon would slide smoothly
over the surface.
I also have a Wood magazine article that shows them using a Zircon to find
biscuits inside a glued-up wood panel.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2011 1:26 AM, Chuck Banshee wrote:
[...]

Well Chuck, I'd never call you names or question your intelligence
because I've learned from experience with various stud finders of the
strange indications you may get since I know what is behind a lot of the
walls because I may have been involved with actually building them.
There is a new stud finder on the market I want sold by Milwaukee known
as the SUB-SCANNER M12 Cordless Detection Tool. Check out the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mHyh-_i4w8

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/24/2011 1:26 AM, Chuck Banshee wrote:

I tried to dig up reviews for the best electronic stud locators to buy
but I'm surprised Consumer Reports hasn't tested them ever (they have
only a one-page article on dodads of which they extoll the virtues of
stud finders but they don't test them).

I'd never trust much from CR on building...and little on any else,
either, for that matter. Their testing/recommendations and my personal
experience or preferences rarely if ever seem to coincide...

Fine Homebuilding (Taunton Press; www.taunton.com) had a review not
terribly long ago of a fair number.

Overall, none rate all that well for much other than the bare 1/2"
sheetrock empty cavity scenario altho some are definitely improvements
over others...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 07:26:52 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee
wrote:

[...]

My black and decker unit works fine - can be calibrated for 3
different thicknesses of drywall. Being a B&D product, "Your Mileage
May Vary"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chuck Banshee" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 02:54:38 -0800, harry wrote:
You need to work in both directions if you see what I mean.

I do work in both directions.

Problems is that the stud finder that I have won't give the same answer
twice. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

I just wanted to know if that was 'normal' or not - and - it seems that
most of you have decent stud finders (while some have similar problems).

If only I could find a good review of current electronic stud finders so
that I could just buy a decent one.

Unfortunately Consumer Reports has never tested them and Popular
Mechanics has a test but they actually found the Zircon to be usable
(which I find suspect and maybe paid for by advertisements).

A lot has to do with the type of wall. In plaster and lathe, my Zircon
sucks. To get useful readings I arm myself with a pad of Post-it notes and
run scans in six inch spaced bands. I mark each band's "best guess" and by
the time I've done four or five bands, the location of the stud usually
becomes apparent. There's always one reading that's way off, though.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 09:05:54 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

There is a new stud finder on the market I want sold by Milwaukee known
as the SUB-SCANNER M12 Cordless Detection Tool. Check out the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mHyh-_i4w8

TDD

Man, that one is pricey :-/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/22/2011 9:33 PM, Chuck Banshee wrote:
The only stud sensor I've used is the "Zircon Studsensor SL" (black
package) and it rarely finds the stud, even when I know where they are.

It's so frustrating, that, for the past few years, I just left it in the
drawer and used the hollow-knock method.

But, today I pulled it out and tried to use it - and again was frustrated
by its lack of repeatability.

Even when I know a stud is there, it is hit or miss with this thing.

Does anyone else have this particular studsensor who can tell me if it's
just mine or if they're all just as worthless?

I thought I'd seen most of the stud sensors on the market, I guess I was
wrong. o_O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZmd5vkag7o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 22:25:56 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Does anyone else have this particular studsensor who can tell me if it's
just mine or if they're all just as worthless?

I thought I'd seen most of the stud sensors on the market, I guess I was
wrong. o_O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZmd5vkag7o

TDD

Well, isn't that special?! My phone is dumb though :-/