Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does the Zircon Studsensor SL actually find a stud?

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 07:26:52 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee
wrote:

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 01:32:26 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:
It must be a matter of experience interpreting the indications. ^_^

You said it nicely so I'm not offended ... but I'm absolutely positive
I'm using it correctly!

I read the instructions nicely printed on the back of the Zircon
Studsensor SL and it sometimes works perfectly (i.e., I calibrate in a
middle spot, and then slowly horizontally glide past where I know the
stud to be).

Sometimes the lights and sound work perfectly. Most times they do not.

I just wanted to know if it was all (most?) stud finders or just mine. It
seems like, from the answers, that some suck (like mine) and others work
just fine.

I tried to dig up reviews for the best electronic stud locators to buy
but I'm surprised Consumer Reports hasn't tested them ever (they have
only a one-page article on dodads of which they extoll the virtues of
stud finders but they don't test them).

My black and decker unit works fine - can be calibrated for 3
different thicknesses of drywall. Being a B&D product, "Your Mileage
May Vary"