Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does the Zircon Studsensor SL actually find a stud?

On 12/24/2011 1:26 AM, Chuck Banshee wrote:
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 01:32:26 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:
It must be a matter of experience interpreting the indications. ^_^

You said it nicely so I'm not offended ... but I'm absolutely positive
I'm using it correctly!

I read the instructions nicely printed on the back of the Zircon
Studsensor SL and it sometimes works perfectly (i.e., I calibrate in a
middle spot, and then slowly horizontally glide past where I know the
stud to be).

Sometimes the lights and sound work perfectly. Most times they do not.

I just wanted to know if it was all (most?) stud finders or just mine. It
seems like, from the answers, that some suck (like mine) and others work
just fine.

I tried to dig up reviews for the best electronic stud locators to buy
but I'm surprised Consumer Reports hasn't tested them ever (they have
only a one-page article on dodads of which they extoll the virtues of
stud finders but they don't test them).

Well Chuck, I'd never call you names or question your intelligence
because I've learned from experience with various stud finders of the
strange indications you may get since I know what is behind a lot of the
walls because I may have been involved with actually building them.
There is a new stud finder on the market I want sold by Milwaukee known
as the SUB-SCANNER M12 Cordless Detection Tool. Check out the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mHyh-_i4w8

TDD