Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Generators, nat gas: Noise?

..
I thought natural gas-powered standby generators would purr.... apparently
not.

Two smaller Generacs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cJX8M2VvKk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen Guy yaks
until 0:50

Here's a quiet one, but much larger (an Onan, apparently):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...N3sZe9xGo&NR=1

The Generac I'm looking at is their smallest. A few brands of the approx 7
kW size are he
http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....ick_search.php

The Generac CorePower 5837 is the cheapest, lightest of the bunch. It uses
a single cylinder approx 400c engine, at 3600 rpm.

The Briggs/Stratton is TWO cylinder, but apparently noisier, from the specs
(81 db vs. 62 db -- if those db are accurate), and from a cupla reviews --
if you can trust reviews.
I'm wondering how much of the noise is exhaust noise, how much is just "unit
noise" -- engine clanking, fans, etc.

I'm thinking of keeping mine inside (theft, consideration of neighbors) --
is it generally straightforward to hose-clamp a metal flex hose to a
tailpipe? IS there a tailpipe on the small units to clamp to?

Any experience with these types of units, brands? Recommendations?
--
EA

Generators HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 33 October 1st 11 12:43 PM
ETQ generators? zxcvbob Home Repair 7 December 30th 10 04:31 AM
Highway Noise Barrier???? White noise???? infiniteMPG Home Repair 17 August 17th 08 06:14 PM
Using Pink noise to mask noise. I dont like noise. Home Repair 2 February 25th 08 06:42 PM
OT - Generators Dan Metalworking 9 September 14th 05 06:12 PM