Posted to alt.home.repair

Default IC Rated Lighting Fixtures and Insulation

Just so I'm clear on the terminology, correct me if I've got this
wrong:

The terms "IC rated fixture" and "non-IC rated fixture" only apply to
recessed fixtures, not to "below the ceiling" fixtures such as this,
right?

http://hi.atgimg.com/img/p400/126/p3726_77.jpg

The reason I ask is that if you consider a "below the ceiling" fixture
to be non-IC rated, then you'd have to deal with the 3" clearance on
all sides of the *fixture*, meaning that you could not have insulation
directly on top of the ceiling drywall because it would be less than
3" from the fixture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 11:46*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Just so I'm clear on the terminology, correct me if I've got this
wrong:

The terms "IC rated fixture" and "non-IC rated fixture" only apply to
recessed fixtures, not to "below the ceiling" fixtures such as this,
right?

http://hi.atgimg.com/img/p400/126/p3726_77.jpg

The reason I ask is that if you consider a "below the ceiling" fixture
to be non-IC rated, then you'd have to deal with the 3" clearance on
all sides of the *fixture*, meaning that you could not have insulation
directly on top of the ceiling drywall because it would be less than
3" from the fixture.

I don't think those surface mount fixtures apply. In fact , some of
those fixtures have an insulation/foil pad inside between the bulbs
and the housing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2011 10:46 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Just so I'm clear on the terminology, correct me if I've got this
wrong:

The terms "IC rated fixture" and "non-IC rated fixture" only apply to
recessed fixtures, not to "below the ceiling" fixtures such as this,
right?

http://hi.atgimg.com/img/p400/126/p3726_77.jpg

The reason I ask is that if you consider a "below the ceiling" fixture
to be non-IC rated, then you'd have to deal with the 3" clearance on
all sides of the *fixture*, meaning that you could not have insulation
directly on top of the ceiling drywall because it would be less than
3" from the fixture.

IC rated is only for recessed fixtures that will be in contact with
insulation. Insulation can make the can very hot. IC rated list the
bulbs that can be safely used, and all of them I have seen have a
thermal switch that disconnects when the fixture gets too hot.

Surface mount fixtures can dissipate heat. Often there is insulation
included behind the canopy to prevent heat from getting into the
junction box and overheating the wires. The some fixtures require higher
temperature wire insulation (but it seems like most new wire is 90
degree C insulation now).

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]