Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old timer needs help removing tub faucet stem

Howdy doody folks,

I need to replace washers, etc., in a tub facet and running into old timers disease. The knob says Price Pfister but they were replaced and the stem could be anything.

It's been a long time since I did this and am suffering from old timer's syndrome compounded by Dunlap's disease (belly done lapped over my belt)....

I removed the packing nut but can't budge the bonnet with a socket wrench. Also tried turning stem with vice grips but can't budge it either. I'm not trying real hard at this point just in case I'm fixing to break something.

Can't find diddly squat on the Price Pfister site. Regular hardware stores helpers are usual good help but not this time.

Anyway, I would appreciate some sage advice how to get the stem out.

Here are some photos of the stem.

Shown with packing nut loose
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/4007/dscn7096m.jpg

Still unassembled
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/9236/dscn7094.jpg

From bottom - dark photo
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/1491/dscn7095.jpg

Many thanks!

Bob

Remove yore hat before sending

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Guv Bob" wrote in message
[...]

From bottom - dark photo
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/1491/dscn7095.jpg

Many thanks!

Bob

Remove yore hat before sending

With the packing nut loose, just unscrew the stem, as like turning the water
on. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 20:48:35 -0700, "WW"
wrote:

"Guv Bob" wrote in message
om...
[...]

From bottom - dark photo
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/1491/dscn7095.jpg

Many thanks!

Bob

Remove yore hat before sending

With the packing nut loose, just unscrew the stem, as like turning the water
on. WW

The valve disk won't fit past bonnet hole.
If he's replacing the washer the bonnet has to be removed.
Stem should be in open position when removing or putting the bonnet
on.
Might be he's just not applying enough force on the wrench.
Tapping the wrench with a hammer is a good method for this.
The inner threads might be rocked up with minerals and the taps
shatter that.
The bonnets of this type I've had apart are on pretty tight.
There's usually a flat softer metal washer/gasket bonnet seal.
I've reused them with no problems.
One thing to consider, though I haven't seen it, is a left hand bonnet
thread.
We've all seen that on the stems - hot turns one way, cold the other.
I hate that.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

Might be he's just not applying enough force on the wrench.
Tapping the wrench with a hammer is a good method for this.

Use one of these wrenches....
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2697/4...5c94e800_z.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

From bottom - dark photo
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/1491/dscn7095.jpg

Many thanks!

Bob

Remove yore hat before sending

Before you go replacing individual parts, consider replacing EVERYTHING,
including new trim for 40 bucks. It even includes the proper wrench.

http://tinyurl.com/7yve8wb

The knob says Price Pfister but they were replaced
and the stem could be anything.

When you get the stem out look fir a "PF" on the stem. Then you know it
really is a Price Pfister.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 10:56:45 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

Thanks, WW, Vic, Bill and Red. Will keep at it and post how it turns out. Any more suggestions, please fire away.

1.) Spray some penetrating fluid around the stem, let soak...

2.) Mild heat..

3.) Shout it Out
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Guv Bob" wrote in
m:

"Guv Bob" wrote in message
[...]

From bottom - dark photo
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/1491/dscn7095.jpg

Many thanks!

Bob

Remove yore hat before sending

PS: You would need a faucet seat wrench to replace the seat

http://www.acehardware.com/search/in...at+wrench&sr=1