Bryan Hoyt

Default Help removing a faucet stem

I have a dripping Standard faucet in my bathroom tub. I have managed to
dismantle the faucet so that I am looking at the stem. Problem is, I can't
figure out how to get the stem out. It doesn't unscrew, just rotates in
either direction with no results. It passes through a disc with a hole in
the middle (is this the seat?) and doesn't seem fixed. It just wiggles. It
seems like if I pull hard enough it'll pop out, but I don't want to break
anything. When I did pull on it, I think the disc came out a little bit
with it, but I don't know if the disc is threaded in there. How do I get
the stem out of there so I can check the washer?

Thanks,
Bryan

Marilyn and Bob

You have to remove the bonnet nut that is holding the stem in. To do so you
need a special socket wrench made for this purpose. A set of them
(different sizes) cost only a few dollars. You nay have to remove some
caulking or even have to chip away a little bit of tile to get the wrench
in.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"Bryan Hoyt" wrote in message
I have a dripping Standard faucet in my bathroom tub. I have managed to
dismantle the faucet so that I am looking at the stem. Problem is, I

can't
figure out how to get the stem out. It doesn't unscrew, just rotates in
either direction with no results. It passes through a disc with a hole in
the middle (is this the seat?) and doesn't seem fixed. It just wiggles.

It
seems like if I pull hard enough it'll pop out, but I don't want to break
anything. When I did pull on it, I think the disc came out a little bit
with it, but I don't know if the disc is threaded in there. How do I get
the stem out of there so I can check the washer?

Thanks,
Bryan

Speedy Jim

Bryan Hoyt wrote:

I have a dripping Standard faucet in my bathroom tub. I have managed to
dismantle the faucet so that I am looking at the stem. Problem is, I can't
figure out how to get the stem out. It doesn't unscrew, just rotates in
either direction with no results. It passes through a disc with a hole in
the middle (is this the seat?) and doesn't seem fixed. It just wiggles. It
seems like if I pull hard enough it'll pop out, but I don't want to break
anything. When I did pull on it, I think the disc came out a little bit
with it, but I don't know if the disc is threaded in there. How do I get
the stem out of there so I can check the washer?

Thanks,
Bryan

Assuming it really is an American-Standard fixture, they made a
number of different designs.
The "Aqua-Seal" stem uses a rubber "Top Hat" instead of a washer
and looks like this:
http://hardware.everything-warehouse...-Aqua-Seal-Fi/

In this case, yes, you have to yank it out as the Top Hat gets stuck.

The seat is further back in there and requires a seat wrench to
loosen. Inspect the seat carefully for nicks.

Jim