Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Corroded faucet stem assembly

I asked this a few weeks ago, but I am trying again for more replies. We
have a standard Gerber widespread faucet in a cast iron pedestal sink. The
cold water faucet washer has never been changed in the 22 years since it was
installed. A lot of corrosion formed in those years. I removed the handle
hold down screw with a left-hand twist drill and removed the handle with a
handle puller. Now I am trying to unscrew the stem assembly.

I've tried various penetrating oils including Kroil and Aero-Kroil as well
as white vinegar. Nothing has budged. I can't apply too much torque as
eventually the who fixture will begin to turn. Are there any other
suggestions such as muriatic acid or heat (I have one of those cigarette
lighter size butane torches) that I could try before I give up call in the
plumber to replace the fixture?
--
Peace,
BobJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hold/cold cycles with either a heat gun or small torch with
intermittent soakings of HOT vinegar. Also, soak a washcloth in
vinegar and wrap it around the stem overnight.

I've never had luck with ordinary penetrating oils. I think they're
designed pentrate iron oxide (rust) and not the kind of corrosion that
sets up between brass and zinc (or whatever the cast materials are
made of).

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:43:50 -0400, "Marilyn & Bob"
wrote:

I asked this a few weeks ago, but I am trying again for more replies. We
have a standard Gerber widespread faucet in a cast iron pedestal sink. The
cold water faucet washer has never been changed in the 22 years since it was
installed. A lot of corrosion formed in those years. I removed the handle
hold down screw with a left-hand twist drill and removed the handle with a
handle puller. Now I am trying to unscrew the stem assembly.

I've tried various penetrating oils including Kroil and Aero-Kroil as well
as white vinegar. Nothing has budged. I can't apply too much torque as
eventually the who fixture will begin to turn. Are there any other
suggestions such as muriatic acid or heat (I have one of those cigarette
lighter size butane torches) that I could try before I give up call in the
plumber to replace the fixture?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I asked this a few weeks ago, but I am trying again for more replies. We
have a standard Gerber widespread faucet in a cast iron pedestal sink. The
cold water faucet washer has never been changed in the 22 years since it was
installed. A lot of corrosion formed in those years. I removed the handle
hold down screw with a left-hand twist drill and removed the handle with a
handle puller. Now I am trying to unscrew the stem assembly.

I've tried various penetrating oils including Kroil and Aero-Kroil as well
as white vinegar. Nothing has budged. I can't apply too much torque as
eventually the who fixture will begin to turn. Are there any other
suggestions such as muriatic acid or heat (I have one of those cigarette
lighter size butane torches) that I could try before I give up call in the
plumber to replace the fixture?

So try tightening the fastener a 1/8 or 1/4 turn tight, soak it again.
Doing that will help in the reverse. I've had to tighten a bolt to
break it loose. Soaked and removed.

Break the corrosion and the oil will get there.

DO not use" muriatic acid" on metal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

[...]

Thank you, thank you about the muriatic acid. I have tried the tightening
trick with no success. I will try dpb's suggestions tomorrow.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Marilyn & Bob" wrote in message

news
wrote:

[...]

OOPS, that's Rick-Meister's suggestions, not dpb.
--
Peace,
BobJ