Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Corroded faucet stem assembly

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:43:50 -0400, "Marilyn & Bob"
wrote:

I asked this a few weeks ago, but I am trying again for more replies. We
have a standard Gerber widespread faucet in a cast iron pedestal sink. The
cold water faucet washer has never been changed in the 22 years since it was
installed. A lot of corrosion formed in those years. I removed the handle
hold down screw with a left-hand twist drill and removed the handle with a
handle puller. Now I am trying to unscrew the stem assembly.

I've tried various penetrating oils including Kroil and Aero-Kroil as well
as white vinegar. Nothing has budged. I can't apply too much torque as
eventually the who fixture will begin to turn. Are there any other
suggestions such as muriatic acid or heat (I have one of those cigarette
lighter size butane torches) that I could try before I give up call in the
plumber to replace the fixture?

So try tightening the fastener a 1/8 or 1/4 turn tight, soak it again.
Doing that will help in the reverse. I've had to tighten a bolt to
break it loose. Soaked and removed.

Break the corrosion and the oil will get there.

DO not use" muriatic acid" on metal.