Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Non-yellowing caulk recommendations

I am nearly finished with construction of a new shed. I have a few
more trim pieces to cut and install and then I'll need to caulk the
necessary joints. I'm using white PVC for the trim (Versatex) so I
won't have to paint it so I'll need to use white caulk.

I've had some caulk that has yellowed in a relatively short time but I
don't remember what brand that was. Does anyone have any
recommendations for a high quality, non-yellowing caulk?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've found that Dap is Crap, and Dow is Wow. Not sure about GE.

Most silicone caulks do well, acrylic not as good.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message
I am nearly finished with construction of a new shed. I have a few
more trim pieces to cut and install and then I'll need to caulk the
necessary joints. I'm using white PVC for the trim (Versatex) so I
won't have to paint it so I'll need to use white caulk.

I've had some caulk that has yellowed in a relatively short time but I
don't remember what brand that was. Does anyone have any
recommendations for a high quality, non-yellowing caulk?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2011 3:54 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've found that Dap is Crap, and Dow is Wow. Not sure about GE.

Most silicone caulks do well, acrylic not as good.

Please fix the configuration problems in your newsreader.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 20:52:18 -0500, Doug Miller
wrote:

On 12/14/2011 3:54 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've found that Dap is Crap, and Dow is Wow. Not sure about GE.

Most silicone caulks do well, acrylic not as good.

Please fix the configuration problems in your newsreader.

Something strange is going on with NewsGuy. My original message
appeared after I posted it -- as it should have. I then retrieved the
body with no problem and then marked it to "Watch" this thread.

When I came back to this group just now I couldn't see my original
message or Stormin Mormon's reply but I could find Doug's repeated
plea to Stormin Mormon.

Has anyone had similar problems recently with NewsGuy?

===============================

Stormin Mormon,

Thanks for the info.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2011 1:56 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
I am nearly finished with construction of a new shed. I have a few
more trim pieces to cut and install and then I'll need to caulk the
necessary joints. I'm using white PVC for the trim (Versatex) so I
won't have to paint it so I'll need to use white caulk.

I've had some caulk that has yellowed in a relatively short time but I
don't remember what brand that was. Does anyone have any
recommendations for a high quality, non-yellowing caulk?

Thanks

I would NOT recommend any silicone caulk other than Dow Corning 795.

I have been using Titebond for Metal Roofs with very good results. It
is a newer polymer technology, not a silicone or a polyurethane.
http://www.titebond.com/product.aspx?id=50278962-f88c-48d3-bd52-718c5298a55d

The metal roof formula has better adherence than the regular
Weathermaster, adheres well to wet surfaces, sets under water, and cures
to a great bond. Similar price to NP-1.

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 14, 1:56*pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:
I am nearly finished with construction of a new shed. *I have a few
more trim pieces to cut and install and then I'll need to caulk the
necessary joints. *I'm using white PVC for the trim (Versatex) so I
won't have to paint it so I'll need to use white caulk.

I've had some caulk that has yellowed in a relatively short time but I
don't remember what brand that was. *Does anyone have any
recommendations for a high quality, non-yellowing caulk?

Thanks

Yellowing is due to UV exposure, so contrary to opinion here, acrylics
should do perfectly well since they are inherently UV resistant.
Silicones are also UV proof, but there is a problem later if touch up
painting is needed. Urethanes, can't comment, maybe someone in the
trade has the facts.

Joe