Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OOps. Mythbusters bust more than they wanted.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA1D1M99V5.DTL

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

willshak wrote in
m:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA1D1M99V5.DTL

Can't wait for the episode to air ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote the following:
willshak wrote in
m:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA1D1M99V5.DTL

Can't wait for the episode to air ...

They were testing various things to be shot from the cannon. I don't
know what myth they were trying to bust, but if they air the show at
all, I would think they wouldn't show that part.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

Han wrote the following:
willshak wrote in
m:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA1D1M99V5.DTL

Can't wait for the episode to air ...

They were testing various things to be shot from the cannon. I don't
know what myth they were trying to bust, but if they air the show at
all, I would think they wouldn't show that part.

They would be foolish not to, that one will bring in high ratings.

--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,

October 19, 2011 - Ali Soufan (Colbert Report)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 09:02:42 -0500, willshak
wrote:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA1D1M99V5.DTL

-- One hell of a ricochet!

-- Cannon balls are allowed in San Francisco?

-- harry hates guns

Posted to alt.home.repair

The cantaloupe-sized cannonball missed the water, tore through a
cinder-block wall, skipped off a hillside and flew some 700 yards
east, right into the Tassajara Creek neighborhood, where children
were returning home from school at 4:15 p.m., authorities said.

So this happened at 4:15 pm.

There, the 6-inch projectile bounced in front of a home on quiet
Cassata Place, ripped through the front door, raced up the stairs
and blasted through a bedroom, where a man, woman and child slept
through it all - only awakening because of plaster dust.

Umm, an entire family sleeping at 4:15 pm?

Your American ways are strange to us ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 6:14*pm, Home Guy wrote:
There, the 6-inch projectile bounced in front of a home on quiet
Cassata Place, ripped through the front door, raced up the stairs
and blasted through a bedroom, where a man, woman and child slept
through it all - only awakening because of plaster dust.

Umm, an entire family sleeping at 4:15 pm?

Your American ways are strange to us ...

Not typical, but not unheard of. Some of us work from home or work odd
times, and if it was a very young child, the parents may be trying to
get sleep whenever they can... It's not the 1950's any more Dorothy...
Posted to alt.home.repair

and finally slammed into the Gill family's beige Toyota Sienna
minivan in a driveway on Springvale Drive.

The web page with the story is showing pictures of the hole in the wall
of the house caused by the cannon ball.

There is also a picture of a fist-sized hole in the busted rear window
of a car on that web page. On first glance, I thought that it was part
of the story - that this was the vehicle that got hit by the cannon
ball.

Upon further investigation, the picture of the busted car window with a
hole in it was about a totally different story.

A gun-shot story.

Yes, of course, this is the USA. Silly me...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2011 5:14 PM, Home Guy wrote:
The cantaloupe-sized cannonball missed the water, tore through a
cinder-block wall, skipped off a hillside and flew some 700 yards
east, right into the Tassajara Creek neighborhood, where children
were returning home from school at 4:15 p.m., authorities said.

So this happened at 4:15 pm.

There, the 6-inch projectile bounced in front of a home on quiet
Cassata Place, ripped through the front door, raced up the stairs
and blasted through a bedroom, where a man, woman and child slept
through it all - only awakening because of plaster dust.

Umm, an entire family sleeping at 4:15 pm?

Your American ways are strange to us ...

I may nap in the afternoon, "Hey! You kids, get off my lawn!" ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2011 5:21 PM, Home Guy wrote:

and finally slammed into the Gill family's beige Toyota Sienna
minivan in a driveway on Springvale Drive.

The web page with the story is showing pictures of the hole in the wall
of the house caused by the cannon ball.

There is also a picture of a fist-sized hole in the busted rear window
of a car on that web page. On first glance, I thought that it was part
of the story - that this was the vehicle that got hit by the cannon
ball.

Upon further investigation, the picture of the busted car window with a
hole in it was about a totally different story.

A gun-shot story.

Yes, of course, this is the USA. Silly me...

I suppose the Canuck Armed Forces are equipped with Nerf Guns? ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/07/11 6:14 PM, Home Guy wrote:
The cantaloupe-sized cannonball missed the water, tore through a
cinder-block wall, skipped off a hillside and flew some 700 yards
east, right into the Tassajara Creek neighborhood, where children
were returning home from school at 4:15 p.m., authorities said.

So this happened at 4:15 pm.

There, the 6-inch projectile bounced in front of a home on quiet
Cassata Place, ripped through the front door, raced up the stairs
and blasted through a bedroom, where a man, woman and child slept
through it all - only awakening because of plaster dust.

Umm, an entire family sleeping at 4:15 pm?

Your American ways are strange to us ...

"where a man, woman and child slept through it all - only awakening
because of plaster dust"

Where a man and woman were enjoying a few moments of passionate loving
making while their newborn slept, only getting out of bed when they had
satisfied their lust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 20:58:07 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/7/2011 5:21 PM, Home Guy wrote:

and finally slammed into the Gill family's beige Toyota Sienna
minivan in a driveway on Springvale Drive.

The web page with the story is showing pictures of the hole in the wall
of the house caused by the cannon ball.

There is also a picture of a fist-sized hole in the busted rear window
of a car on that web page. On first glance, I thought that it was part
of the story - that this was the vehicle that got hit by the cannon
ball.

Upon further investigation, the picture of the busted car window with a
hole in it was about a totally different story.

A gun-shot story.

Yes, of course, this is the USA. Silly me...

I suppose the Canuck Armed Forces are equipped with Nerf Guns? ^_^

Canuck Armed Forces? LOL!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2011 9:46 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Perhaps they thought all the noise was due to the fireworks of
lovemaking? ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 3:14*pm, Home Guy wrote:
The cantaloupe-sized cannonball missed the water, tore through a
cinder-block wall, skipped off a hillside and flew some 700 yards
east, right into the Tassajara Creek neighborhood, where children
were returning home from school at 4:15 p.m., authorities said.

So this happened at 4:15 pm.

There, the 6-inch projectile bounced in front of a home on quiet
Cassata Place, ripped through the front door, raced up the stairs
and blasted through a bedroom, where a man, woman and child slept
through it all - only awakening because of plaster dust.

Umm, an entire family sleeping at 4:15 pm?

Your American ways are strange to us ...

I find the whole story dubious. If it wasn't on a 'straight arrow'
newspaper source I'd call it fake. That cannon ball went way too far
and through too many things. Gotta take it for real I guess. Does
seem odd that ithasn't been mentioned on any other media though.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 7, 6:14*pm, Home Guy wrote:
The cantaloupe-sized cannonball missed the water, tore through a
cinder-block wall, skipped off a hillside and flew some 700 yards
east, right into the Tassajara Creek neighborhood, where children
were returning home from school at 4:15 p.m., authorities said.

So this happened at 4:15 pm.

There, the 6-inch projectile bounced in front of a home on quiet
Cassata Place, ripped through the front door, raced up the stairs
and blasted through a bedroom, where a man, woman and child slept
through it all - only awakening because of plaster dust.

Umm, an entire family sleeping at 4:15 pm?

Your American ways are strange to us ...

Coming from someone that wants to repair a single pane window with a
windshield stone chip repair kit. And you live where????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 13:17:31 -0600, G. Morgan
wrote:

willshak wrote:

Han wrote the following:
willshak wrote in
m:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA1D1M99V5.DTL

Can't wait for the episode to air ...

They were testing various things to be shot from the cannon. I don't
know what myth they were trying to bust, but if they air the show at
all, I would think they wouldn't show that part.

They would be foolish not to, that one will bring in high ratings.

The news said they said they would n't air it, but I t thnk not airing
it is silly. No one died, no one got hurt, it's not a tragedy. No
one things they did it on purpose, so what do they have to be ashamed
of? It may not bust a myth but it makes clearer than most things how
much damage a cannonball can do. It might give people an idea of how
violent war was.

I'll bet that range is usuually used for bullets, made of lead, that
deform and don't rciochet nearly as much. That much of the time just
go into the dirt hill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 03:48:03 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 13:17:31 -0600, G. Morgan
wrote:

willshak wrote:

Han wrote the following:
willshak wrote in
m:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA1D1M99V5.DTL

Can't wait for the episode to air ...

They were testing various things to be shot from the cannon. I don't
know what myth they were trying to bust, but if they air the show at
all, I would think they wouldn't show that part.

They would be foolish not to, that one will bring in high ratings.

The news said they said they would n't air it, but I t thnk not airing
it is silly. No one died, no one got hurt, it's not a tragedy. No
one things they did it on purpose, so what do they have to be ashamed
of? It may not bust a myth but it makes clearer than most things how
much damage a cannonball can do. It might give people an idea of how
violent war was.

This last sentence is only one reason it's good to know what a flying
cannonaball is like.

Think aobut it. It went in through the front door, went all the way
through the house and out a rear wall. I'd hate to standing in the
hall when it went through.

I'll bet that range is usuually used for bullets, made of lead, that
deform and don't rciochet nearly as much. That much of the time just
go into the dirt hill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/07/11 11:21 PM, Harry K wrote:
On Dec 7, 3:14 pm, Home wrote:
[...]

Have you seen some of the over the top rigs that Mythbusters set up to
see what it would take to make the "myth" happen?

If this was one of their "let's see what it would take" set ups, it's
very possible that the cannon bowl could have acted in ways that would
be considered outside the range of normal cannon ball behavior.

Did you see the one where they hooked a bunch of rockets to a snow plow
blade and sent it down a track at 500 MPH to see if they could split a
car in half? They were extremely successful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 3:14 pm, Home wrote:
[...]

Was that, splitting the car in half, a possible myth? I mean, did
the ancient Greeks, or the ancient Americans, or even the guys who
hang out at the stock car track claim this could be done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:

Your American ways are strange to us ...

Coming from someone that wants to repair a single pane window with a
windshield stone chip repair kit.

That's the best you can do?

To equate "strange" with the application of automotive glass repair
products to residential windows?

That's pretty lame...

And you live where????

Just the most economically, socially and politically stable country in
the world.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 3:14 pm, Home *wrote:
[...]

car in half? They were extremely successful.- Hide quoted text -

Oh yeah, I've seen almost every one of their shows. I liked the one
where they made a cement truck disappear, hot water tank for altitude,
etc. I was hoping that video would show it in action but all it was
was a clip from TV news.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 3:14 pm, Home *wrote:
[...]

hang out at the stock car track claim this could be done.- Hide quoted text -

I can't say that I ever _heard_ it was a myth but they started the
episode _saying_ it was.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 3:14 pm, Home *wrote:
[...]

There have been at least 2 different Snow Plow realted myths tested:

Can a Snow Plow flip a car by going by at high speed?
Can a Snow Plow split a car in half during a head on collision?

For the Split myth, check out the link below.

"The Mythbusters work to replicate the results of the snowplow split
myth. The solution involves 75,000 pounds of thrust, speeds of 500 mph
and a large solid steel blade. In other words, just another day."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0xQTCsDQ8E

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 3:14 pm, Home *wrote:
[...]

Now that I've thought about your question for a little while, I have
to ask:

Why does it matter?

As long as they blow something up, I'm satisfied.

Besides, one definition of a myth is "any invented story, idea, or
concept".

If anyone (even a cast member) says "A car can be split in two by a
snowplow", it then becomes something for the Mythbusters to try to
confirm or bust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 18:14:13 -0500, Home Guy wrote:

Umm, an entire family sleeping at 4:15 pm?

Your American ways are strange to us ...

The feeling is mutual.

And don't be silly. The RCMP do not work just the day shift. If they
did they would never _get their man_.

:-- former shift worker

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 7, 11:21*pm, Harry K wrote:
On Dec 7, 3:14*pm, Home Guy wrote:

[...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnyS-lifuAU
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 3:14 pm, Home wrote:
[...]

Also like their proof that a plane will take off on a runway moving at an
equal and opposite speed to the plane's takeoff speed.

Mythbusters is FIRST and FOREMOST a show
It's about getting an audience with "neat" things.
That they are scientifically sloppy is OK since it's really not about
science but showmanship

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 3:14 pm, Home wrote:
[...]

Yah
I can just see those rocket-powered 75,500 pounds of thrust snowplows
clearing the interstates
Last I heard, They can do 4 lanes at once with that plow because of all the
turbulence to the sides and the heat left behind

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/8/2011 1:16 PM, wrote:

I am still waiting for them to see what really happens when you put
air in PVC pipe and just what it takes for that mythical explosion
that kills everyone in the room.

It's not over-pressure that's the instigating event OSHA reg's are
particularly concerned about and it's not a typical home shop 3/4 or
1/2" line that's going to be enough pieces to be a major issue even if
one were to be broken (altho it would only take one very small piece in
the right direction to take an eye).

They're mainly concerned about distribution lines in large industrial
facilities and the possibility of external damage being the instigating
event.

http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id =20202

But, even though it's not a very likely problem there's really little to
recommend using it even in the home shop as there's generally so little
actual material the differential cost just isn't that big an issue so
one might as well do it right.

Of course, if one is running a commercial or school or other shop
subject to OSHA one definitely doesn't want the potential liability of
ignoring the best practice standard not to mention the possible citation
directly...

All in all, while it's not a major likelihood, it just isn't smart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 18:14:13 -0500, Home Guy wrote:

Umm, an entire family sleeping at 4:15 pm?

Your American ways are strange to us ...

The feeling is mutual.

And don't be silly. The RCMP do not work just the day shift. If they
did they would never _get their man_.

On the very few occasions that they don't screw up and actually get a man..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 3:14 pm, Home *wrote:
[...]

turbulence to the sides and the heat left behind- Hide quoted text -

Curves might be a minor issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/11 2:31 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote:

Mythbusters is FIRST and FOREMOST a show
It's about getting an audience with "neat" things.
That they are scientifically sloppy is OK since it's really not about
science but showmanship

The 10" columbaid fired a 128-pound ball more than three miles. Those
boys shouldn't have been allowed to play with a toy like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 3:14 pm, Home wrote:
[...]

What curves ?
Don't see no stinkin' curves

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2011 2:34 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 12/8/11 2:31 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote:

Mythbusters is FIRST and FOREMOST a show
It's about getting an audience with "neat" things.
That they are scientifically sloppy is OK since it's really not about
science but showmanship

The 10" columbaid fired a 128-pound ball more than three miles. Those
boys shouldn't have been allowed to play with a toy like that.

And who would you have make that determination? I see them do all sorts
of wild and crazy things on their show but they always get permissions,
the help of experts and take many safety prcautions before they make
things go BOOM! ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 11:30:06 -0800 (PST), Ron
wrote:

I find the whole story dubious. *If it wasn't on a 'straight arrow'
newspaper source I'd call it fake. *That cannon ball went way too far
and through too many things. *Gotta take it for real I guess. *Does
seem odd that ithasn't been mentioned on any other media though.

Harry K

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnyS-lifuAU

Good one.

I would like to know who has the cannon ball. How much powder was
used... It don't take a ten inch ball to make a ten inch hole in the
walls. How big was this ball?!

They suspended the show?

(Infantry/Artillery experience)

I think it was Andrew Jackson that said lower that elevation on the
cannon. He killed a bunch of British in twenty minutes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 13:48:52 -0600, "Attila.Iskander"
wrote:

Your American ways are strange to us ...

The feeling is mutual.

And don't be silly. The RCMP do not work just the day shift. If they
did they would never _get their man_.

On the very few occasions that they don't screw up and actually get a man..

Back circa 1970's a man sold swamp land in Florida. Absconded back to
Canada. Complete fraud as it was. The FBI crossed the border into
Canada, put the man into the trunk of the car and crossed the border
back into the USA. Then they formally arrested him in the proper
jurisdiction.

.... an international incident

The crook served time in Florida if I remember.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2011 2:34 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 12/8/11 2:31 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote:

Mythbusters is FIRST and FOREMOST a show
It's about getting an audience with "neat" things.
That they are scientifically sloppy is OK since it's really not about
science but showmanship

The 10" columbaid fired a 128-pound ball more than three miles. Those
boys shouldn't have been allowed to play with a toy like that.

And who would you have make that determination? I see them do all sorts
of wild and crazy things on their show but they always get permissions,
the help of experts and take many safety prcautions before they make
things go BOOM! ^_^

TDD

You read my mind. Do they subscribe to AHR? If they do, they are
probably aware of my excellent judgment, and I'll probably be getting a
call from them. I hesitate to call them in case their current permitter
answers. He or she is obviously too permissive to be permitted to
remain on the payroll.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Your American ways are strange to us ...

The feeling is mutual.

And don't be silly. The RCMP do not work just the day shift. If they
did they would never _get their man_.

On the very few occasions that they don't screw up and actually get a
man..

Back circa 1970's a man sold swamp land in Florida. Absconded back to
Canada. Complete fraud as it was. The FBI crossed the border into
Canada, put the man into the trunk of the car and crossed the border
back into the USA. Then they formally arrested him in the proper
jurisdiction.

... an international incident

The crook served time in Florida if I remember.

The FBI also did it in the opposite direction as well
Obviously not much respect for the law or due process