Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mythbusters Blows Up Water Heater

Awesome!

I don't have my speakers hooked up but they were laughing their asses off
and so was I. The slo-mo version at the end is priceless. Houston, we have
a launch, over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 11:26:26 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

Awesome!

I don't have my speakers hooked up but they were laughing their asses off
and so was I. The slo-mo version at the end is priceless. Houston, we have
a launch, over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded

They made another version for a 2 story house mock up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi_p23dce8U
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 1:19*pm, ransley wrote:
On Jan 8, 11:26*am, Red Green wrote:

Awesome!

I don't have my speakers hooked up but they were laughing their asses off
and so was I. The slo-mo version at the end is priceless. Houston, we have
a launch, over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded

Now that look like fun.

When I was in High School we were shown a very similar saftey film in
shop class. You would of thought they had learned by now not to show
kids things like that.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 11:21*am, JIMMIE wrote:
On Jan 8, 1:19*pm, ransley wrote:

On Jan 8, 11:26*am, Red Green wrote:

Awesome!

I don't have my speakers hooked up but they were laughing their asses off
and so was I. The slo-mo version at the end is priceless. Houston, we have
a launch, over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded

Now that look like fun.

When I was in High School we were shown a very similar saftey film in
shop class. You would of thought they had learned by now not to show
kids things like that.

Jimmie

The house across the street turned into a rental upon the death of
grandma. 1st renter installed an old wood cookstove in the basement
that had a waterback. He didn't like the looks of the pipe stubs so
he put pipe caps on them. First fire he wound up with shrapnel
throughout the basement, fortunately, none penetrated to the first
floor.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
Awesome!

I don't have my speakers hooked up but they were laughing their asses
off and so was I. The slo-mo version at the end is priceless.
Houston, we have a launch, over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded

OMG I love it!

A well laid out plan produces satisfaction. Ditch those pesky expensive
parts!

http://i50.tinypic.com/2nqbbrd.jpg [Gotta love the "X"'s]

Ol' Buster took a hard hit in that bathtub. He should gets a chek for dat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Awesome!

I don't have my speakers hooked up but they were laughing their asses off
and so was I. The slo-mo version at the end is priceless. Houston, we have
a launch, over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded

The home where our pastor grew up was virtually destroyed around them
early one morning when the water heater blew. His parents bed on the
second floor was moved several feet and the main floor was basically
demolished. Miraculously no-one was hurt.

Thre's a good reason they require safety over-temp and over-pressure
valves today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Awesome!

I don't have my speakers hooked up but they were laughing their asses off
and so was I. The slo-mo version at the end is priceless. Houston, we have
a launch, over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded

The home where our pastor grew up was virtually destroyed around them
early one morning when the water heater blew. His parents bed on the
second floor was moved several feet and the main floor was basically
demolished. Miraculously no-one was hurt.

Thre's a good reason they require safety over-temp and over-pressure
valves today.

About a year ago the boiler blew up at one of the frat houses at OSU, and it
effectively totaled the building. I'm not sure why the over pressure/over
temp valves didn't release. It did a *lot* of damage and they condemned the
building because of it.

http://firegeezer.com/2008/11/17/ore...house-ka-boom/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
Awesome!

I don't have my speakers hooked up but they were laughing their asses off
and so was I. The slo-mo version at the end is priceless. Houston, we have
a launch, over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded

I never watch that show but that was cool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 20:45:08 -0500, clare wrote:
Thre's a good reason they require safety over-temp and over-pressure
valves today.

Wonder how many folk bother to check the safety valve every once in a
while?

Posted to alt.home.repair

One in 500 trillion? If you open them to test, they usually
leak.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jules" wrote
in message
news On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 20:45:08 -0500, clare wrote:
Thre's a good reason they require safety over-temp and
over-pressure
valves today.

Wonder how many folk bother to check the safety valve every
once in a
while?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in
:

Awesome!

I don't have my speakers hooked up but they were laughing their asses
off and so was I. The slo-mo version at the end is priceless. Houston,
we have a launch, over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded

Could the pressure in the tank push back against the cold water supply ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 3:31*pm, TheHack wrote:
Red Green wrote :

Awesome!

I don't have my speakers hooked up but they were laughing their asses
off and so was I. The slo-mo version at the end is priceless. Houston,
we have a launch, over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded

Could the pressure in the tank push back against the cold water supply ?

Sure can, when my dad had a gas station we started getting steam out
the water pipes. We found it was coming from the restaraunt next door.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 11:24:13 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

One in 500 trillion? If you open them to test, they usually leak.

My hot water tank is in the garage and the vent opens to let hot water run
on the front outside entrance. A small screened area.

I open it to rinse and wash down the floor there and it doesn't leak.
Perhaps it is because I use it on occasion that it doesn't leak.

Just saying it is not a one time use thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

TheHack wrote:

Red Green wrote in
:

Awesome!

I don't have my speakers hooked up but they were laughing their asses
off and so was I. The slo-mo version at the end is priceless. Houston,
we have a launch, over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded

Could the pressure in the tank push back against the cold water supply ?

The heater in the video was configured to a worst possible case
scenario, with all ports plugged and all safety devices disabled. In
most homes there is a back flow check valve on the water supply, so
there isn't much of any push back possible.

Even with some push back, if the water temp has gone high enough in the
heater, when the system ruptures at any point, even a toilet supply line
at the other end of the house, you still have a catastrophic
depresurization, reduction in the boiling point of the water and
flashing to steam situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TheHack" wrote in message
31...
Red Green wrote in
:

Awesome!

I don't have my speakers hooked up but they were laughing their asses
off and so was I. The slo-mo version at the end is priceless. Houston,
we have a launch, over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded

Could the pressure in the tank push back against the cold water supply ?

I don't think so because water will not compress. Hence the term "water
hammer". There would have to be another way for the pressure to release.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Master Betty" wrote in message

"TheHack" wrote in message
31...
Red Green wrote in
:

Awesome!

I don't have my speakers hooked up but they were laughing their asses
off and so was I. The slo-mo version at the end is priceless. Houston,
we have a launch, over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded

Could the pressure in the tank push back against the cold water supply ?

I don't think so because water will not compress. Hence the term "water
hammer". There would have to be another way for the pressure to release.

Actually, the pressure in the tank would indeed push back into the cold
water supply. If there are any accumulators, they would buffer the pressure
change. Otherwise, sooner or later (probably sooner) some over pressure
valve somewhere will give, whether it is the one on your tank or your
neighbors tank or some valve attached to the water supply. Your water lines
in your house are not closed - they are open to the city supply, and all of
your neighbors houses. Unless, like I said, there is a check valve
somewhere. Unless you have, for example, a well. Then the pressure would
push water into your accumulator (water tank). Since it is probably a small
tank, your water pressure would rise until a check valve opens or something
breaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 14:31:47 -0600, TheHack
wrote:

Red Green wrote in
:

Awesome!

I don't have my speakers hooked up but they were laughing their asses
off and so was I. The slo-mo version at the end is priceless. Houston,
we have a launch, over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded

Could the pressure in the tank push back against the cold water supply ?

In most municipal water supplies in North America, the answer is yes.
In Zambia our water supply filled what was basically a "stock tank"
in the attic and everything was gravity fed from there, so the
"geyser" couls cause reversion flow without any trouble. In the hot
season (3/4 of the year) we just turned the geyser off and got very
warm water direct fron the tap. Needed to refrigerate water for
drinking, unless you were drinking tea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

TheHack wrote:

Red Green wrote in
:

[...]

You make it sound so dismal. Good job:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Master Betty" wrote in
:

"TheHack" wrote in message
31...
Red Green wrote in
:

Awesome!

I don't have my speakers hooked up but they were laughing their
asses off and so was I. The slo-mo version at the end is priceless.
Houston, we have a launch, over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded

Could the pressure in the tank push back against the cold water
supply ?

I don't think so because water will not compress. Hence the term
"water hammer". There would have to be another way for the pressure to
release.

For all intents and purposes, fluids don't compress. In reality, they
will compress. It takes an unreal amount of pressure resulting in very
little compression.

Just a useless tidbit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 17:28:18 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

"Master Betty" wrote in
:

"TheHack" wrote in message
31...
Red Green wrote in
:

Awesome!

I don't have my speakers hooked up but they were laughing their
asses off and so was I. The slo-mo version at the end is priceless.
Houston, we have a launch, over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded

Could the pressure in the tank push back against the cold water
supply ?

I don't think so because water will not compress. Hence the term
"water hammer". There would have to be another way for the pressure to
release.

For all intents and purposes, fluids don't compress. In reality, they
will compress. It takes an unreal amount of pressure resulting in very
little compression.

Just a useless tidbit.

To be absolutely correct , you need to say LIQUIDS, not FLUIDS,
because air IS a fluid, and compressed just fine, thank you!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Master Betty" wrote in
:

"TheHack" wrote in message
31...
Red Green wrote in
:

Awesome!

I don't have my speakers hooked up but they were laughing their
asses off and so was I. The slo-mo version at the end is priceless.
Houston, we have a launch, over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded

Could the pressure in the tank push back against the cold water
supply ?

I don't think so because water will not compress. Hence the term
"water hammer". There would have to be another way for the pressure to
release.

For all intents and purposes, fluids don't compress. In reality, they
will compress. It takes an unreal amount of pressure resulting in very
little compression.

Just a useless tidbit.

But compared to gases they don't compress.

Not enough to make any difference in the experiment in the video. Unless
there was somewhere to "push" the water. The hole would be essentially
plugged. The plug could blow.

Hey...it's "about" the only thing I remember from my water management class
back in the early 70s.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
:

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 17:28:18 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

"Master Betty" wrote in
:

"TheHack" wrote in message
31...
Red Green wrote in
:

Awesome!

I don't have my speakers hooked up but they were laughing their
asses off and so was I. The slo-mo version at the end is
priceless. Houston, we have a launch, over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded

Could the pressure in the tank push back against the cold water
supply ?

I don't think so because water will not compress. Hence the term
"water hammer". There would have to be another way for the pressure
to release.

For all intents and purposes, fluids don't compress. In reality, they
will compress. It takes an unreal amount of pressure resulting in very
little compression.

Just a useless tidbit.

To be absolutely correct , you need to say LIQUIDS, not FLUIDS,
because air IS a fluid, and compressed just fine, thank you!!

OK, be that way Ms. Fluid Dynamics :-)

Come to think of it, Dr. Marcus did say that back in the 70's I recall
now. Silly me.

Gee, I have a Porter Cable fluid compressor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 17:55:35 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

wrote in
:

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 17:28:18 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

"Master Betty" wrote in
:

"TheHack" wrote in message
31...
Red Green wrote in
:

[...]

Ms?????????
Clare as in CLARENCE
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Master Betty" wrote in message

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Master Betty" wrote in
:

"TheHack" wrote in message
31...
Red Green wrote in
:

[...]

Let me put on my reading glasses....Ah!

I "now" realize that was basically what you said.

Just a useless tidbit

Posted to alt.home.repair

A reminder that International code calls for the discharge line
to be installed without a trap, to be able to empty by gravity.
Reason they called for that was for the garage installations,
or those little outside-access closets, etc. Ones where water
could potentially by in the pipe and freeze, effectively blocking
the discharge,
Also, I find it interesting how many discharge lines are done
with PVC.

On Jan 9, 4:32*pm, RLM wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 11:24:13 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
One in 500 trillion? If you open them to test, they usually leak.

My hot water tank is in the garage and the vent opens to let hot water run
on the front outside entrance. A small screened area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 4:32Â*pm, RLM wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 11:24:13 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
One in 500 trillion? If you open them to test, they usually leak.

My hot water tank is in the garage and the vent opens to let hot water run
on the front outside entrance. A small screened area.

PVC or ABS is standard equipment on virtually all water heaters sold
in Canada. You CAN change it to copper.
What is more surprising is how many are installed with NO discharge
piping attached to the safety blowoff valve - - - .
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Awesome!

I don't have my speakers hooked up but they were laughing their asses off
and so was I. The slo-mo version at the end is priceless. Houston, we have
a launch, over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded

Does this mean TSA will be searching us all for water heaters before we
board the plane?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 11:26*am, Red Green wrote:
Awesome!

I don't have my speakers hooked up but they were laughing their asses off
and so was I. The slo-mo version at the end is priceless. Houston, we have
a launch, over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded

Makes me glad I replaced that safety valve. It was very corroded when
I accidentally noticed it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 11:26*am, Red Green wrote:
Awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded

Seems strange that hot water heaters aren't designed to rupture in
some less destructive manner. To have the bottom blow out so that the
thing flies into the air like a rocket seems like a terrible design.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Davej wrote:
On Jan 8, 11:26 am, Red Green wrote:
Awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...layer_embedded

Seems strange that hot water heaters aren't designed to rupture in
some less destructive manner. To have the bottom blow out so that the
thing flies into the air like a rocket seems like a terrible design.

That's why we use thermostats and T&P valves. Not to mention, if the
pressure in a home water system ever came anywhere near 300+ psi,
something elsewould let go first. Like those plastic toilet valves, or
the washer hoses.