Evon

Default Water heater blows off

New house, ( for us), water heater is gas and about 5 years old. When we are
away for days, I turn the well pump off and turn the water heater down to
low. When I return, the blow valve at the top of the heater has let water
escape on to the floor. I put a bucket under it and get maybe 1 or 2 cups of
water. When we are home I never notice it blow off. The bucket stays dry?
Anyone have any ideas?

Dan

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 12:29:22 GMT, "Evon"
wrote:

New house, ( for us), water heater is gas and about 5 years old. When we are
away for days, I turn the well pump off and turn the water heater down to
low. When I return, the blow valve at the top of the heater has let water
escape on to the floor. I put a bucket under it and get maybe 1 or 2 cups of
water. When we are home I never notice it blow off. The bucket stays dry?
Anyone have any ideas?

Do you have a check valve between the water heater and well pressure
tank? If so you need a small expansion tank at the water heater to
allow for expansion. It appears that enough water is used when you
are home to prevent the pressure from buiilding up, but not when you
are away.

Dan
SQLit

"Evon" wrote in message
link.net...
New house, ( for us), water heater is gas and about 5 years old. When we

are
away for days, I turn the well pump off and turn the water heater down to
low. When I return, the blow valve at the top of the heater has let water
escape on to the floor. I put a bucket under it and get maybe 1 or 2 cups

of
water. When we are home I never notice it blow off. The bucket stays dry?
Anyone have any ideas?

Water pressure falls and allows a space in the heater.

Turn the heater off with the pump and you will not have any more problems.

Might not hurt to change the TP valve. They are not designed for general
use.

Duane Bozarth

SQLit wrote:

"Evon" wrote in message
link.net...
New house, ( for us), water heater is gas and about 5 years old. When we

are
away for days, I turn the well pump off and turn the water heater down to
low. When I return, the blow valve at the top of the heater has let water
escape on to the floor. I put a bucket under it and get maybe 1 or 2 cups

of
water. When we are home I never notice it blow off. The bucket stays dry?
Anyone have any ideas?

Water pressure falls and allows a space in the heater.

Turn the heater off with the pump and you will not have any more problems.

Might not hurt to change the TP valve. They are not designed for general
use.

You hit my suggestion exactly...if you're going to be gone long enough
for it to be a significant energy savings, I'd kick it off entirely if
you're kicking the pump off as well....if it were to pop, you'd
continue to pump for the entire time or until the pump failed or the
well were pumped dry, and then w/ the heater still on...all not a likely
scenario but since it has seeped some, it would worry me.

Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Ownership 50 April 2nd 04 04:55 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Electric Water Heater Problem, Repair or Buy new, please help Robert Home Repair 10 January 10th 04 01:09 AM