Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DIY stainless steel chimney liner installation

I need to replace my fireplace flue, and have gotten a couple of
estimates to have a stainless steel flexible liner installed ranging
from $1500 to almost $3000. I wondered if this is a job I could do
myself.

There are a number of companies online that will sell the stainless
liner, insulating material, T connector and chimney cap for around a
thousand dollars (35' of 6" liner). Has anyone ever done this job? Did
you have a good or bad experience? What tricks did you learn?

Thanks.
BC
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 3:57*pm, BCDrums wrote:
I need to replace my fireplace flue, and have gotten a couple of
estimates to have a stainless steel flexible liner installed ranging
from $1500 to almost $3000. I wondered if this is a job I could do
myself.

There are a number of companies online that will sell the stainless
liner, insulating material, T connector and chimney cap for around a
thousand dollars (35' of 6" liner). Has anyone ever done this job? Did
you have a good or bad experience? What tricks did you learn?

Thanks.
BC

A lot depends on whether the chimney is straight up and down, or has
one or more bends, one-story or two story, etc. Can you look up and
see daylight when the damper is open?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BCDrums" wrote in message

I need to replace my fireplace flue, and have gotten a couple of
estimates to have a stainless steel flexible liner installed ranging
from $1500 to almost $3000. I wondered if this is a job I could do
myself.

Your insurance company may have an opinion on this point.
Some nowadays require that installations be made by a licensed
technician (not just that they pass Fire Code inspection on completion.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 08:03:05 -0500, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

Your insurance company may have an opinion on this point.
Some nowadays require that installations be made by a licensed
technician (not just that they pass Fire Code inspection on completion.)

AFAIK, there is no such thing as a licensed chimney installer where I
live. Nor has any insurance company that I've had ever asked about my
woodstove installation and it is listed in the house description. They
would not know if I made any changes or repairs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

AFAIK, there is no such thing as a licensed chimney installer where I
live. Nor has any insurance company that I've had ever asked about my
woodstove installation and it is listed in the house description. They
would not know if I made any changes or repairs.

Beware of future changes. In Canada, the Fire Code is the only part
of the building code that is retroactive (i.e. can be enforced on existing
stove installations previously approved as OK.) This happened here
when the fire code was amended (e.g. adding requirements for an
overhead heat shield.) The home insurance company required inspection of
all known stoves and if substandard required upgrading and certification
by a WET-qualified inspector (week-long provincial course.)

The insurance agent said this was prompted by an increase in claims for
damage by stoves, which turned out not to be true. My later impression
was that no staff of either agent or company had any familiarity with wood
or coal stoves, and simply attempted to enforce the Fire Code.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 11:50:01 -0500, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

Beware of future changes. In Canada, the Fire Code is the only part
of the building code that is retroactive (i.e. can be enforced on existing
stove installations previously approved as OK.) This happened here
when the fire code was amended (e.g. adding requirements for an
overhead heat shield.) The home insurance company required inspection of
all known stoves and if substandard required upgrading and certification
by a WET-qualified inspector (week-long provincial course.)

The insurance agent said this was prompted by an increase in claims for
damage by stoves, which turned out not to be true. My later impression
was that no staff of either agent or company had any familiarity with wood
or coal stoves, and simply attempted to enforce the Fire Code.

I hope that does not spread here, but it probably will.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 12:21*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Dec 3, 3:57*pm, BCDrums wrote:

I need to replace my fireplace flue, and have gotten a couple of
estimates to have a stainless steel flexible liner installed ranging
from $1500 to almost $3000. I wondered if this is a job I could do
myself.

There are a number of companies online that will sell the stainless
liner, insulating material, T connector and chimney cap for around a
thousand dollars (35' of 6" liner). Has anyone ever done this job? Did
you have a good or bad experience? What tricks did you learn?

Thanks.
BC

A lot depends on whether the chimney is straight up and down, or has
one or more bends, one-story or two story, etc. *Can you look up and
see daylight when the damper is open?

It's a two story chimney plus another 6' into the basement. I have not
pulled the furnace duct off the T connection at the wall, but I cannot
see daylight up the fireplace flue. It has a top-damper on it, and a
screen cap above that, which might kill enough light not to be able to
see all the way up.

I have thought about putting a video camera and small flashlight on a
tape measure and lowering it down the chimney to see what's what.

AT
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 12:21*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Dec 3, 3:57*pm, BCDrums wrote:

I need to replace my fireplace flue, and have gotten a couple of
estimates to have a stainless steel flexible liner installed ranging
from $1500 to almost $3000. I wondered if this is a job I could do
myself.

There are a number of companies online that will sell the stainless
liner, insulating material, T connector and chimney cap for around a
thousand dollars (35' of 6" liner). Has anyone ever done this job? Did
you have a good or bad experience? What tricks did you learn?

Thanks.
BC

A lot depends on whether the chimney is straight up and down, or has
one or more bends, one-story or two story, etc. *Can you look up and
see daylight when the damper is open?

I haven't removed the furnace duct to attempt to see up the flue, but
I can't see daylight through the fireplace flue. That may have to do
with the top-damper and the cap above it, or maybe there's a bend in
the flue.

The chimney is two stories with another 6' down to the basement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 3:32*pm, BCDrums wrote:
On Dec 4, 12:21*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Dec 3, 3:57*pm, BCDrums wrote:

[...]

AT- Hide quoted text -

With a fireplace and furnace you would need two liners, no?
I'm about to install one for my water heater. Looks pretty
straightforward to me. But with mine I have the water heater
exhaust to connect to. I have no idea how you connect the liner to
the top of a fireplace?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Beware of future changes. In Canada, the Fire Code is the only part
of the building code that is retroactive (i.e. can be enforced on existing
stove installations previously approved as OK.) This happened here
when the fire code was amended (e.g. adding requirements for an
overhead heat shield.) The home insurance company required inspection of
all known stoves and if substandard required upgrading and certification
by a WET-qualified inspector (week-long provincial course.)

The insurance agent said this was prompted by an increase in claims for
damage by stoves, which turned out not to be true. My later impression
was that no staff of either agent or company had any familiarity with wood
or coal stoves, and simply attempted to enforce the Fire Code.

I hope that does not spread here, but it probably will.

I think that Nanny state nonsense originated here

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 3:45*pm, "
wrote:
On Dec 4, 3:32*pm, BCDrums wrote:

On Dec 4, 12:21*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Dec 3, 3:57*pm, BCDrums wrote:

[...]

The fireplace flue is fine and does not need to be replaced. The
furnace flue has deteriorated after years of passing heating oil
exhaust. That's the one I need to fix.

I'm about to install one for my water heater. *Looks pretty
straightforward to me. *But with mine I have the water heater
exhaust to connect to. *I have no idea how you connect the liner to
the top of a fireplace?

I only have to mate it up with the exhaust duct from the furnace. It
looks simple.

Al T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 7:40*pm, BCDrums wrote:
On Dec 4, 3:45*pm, "
wrote:

On Dec 4, 3:32*pm, BCDrums wrote:

On Dec 4, 12:21*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Dec 3, 3:57*pm, BCDrums wrote:

[...]

Al T.- Hide quoted text -

That sounds a lot simpler than having to replace the fireplace flue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 8:40*pm, BCDrums wrote:
On Dec 4, 3:45*pm, "
wrote:

On Dec 4, 3:32*pm, BCDrums wrote:

On Dec 4, 12:21*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Dec 3, 3:57*pm, BCDrums wrote:

[...]

I agree. That's essentially what I;'m doing except I have
to mate mine up to the water heater and mine will be 4".
I guess for a furnace the liner will be larger diameter.

Stainless Chimney Liner comparison? [email protected] Home Repair 0 May 23rd 07 05:10 AM
Stainless steel nuts galling on stainless steel bolts spaco Metalworking 15 April 12th 06 06:02 PM
Chimney Liner DSegal1027 Home Repair 0 January 21st 05 02:39 AM
Chimney Liner DSegal1027 Home Repair 1 January 19th 05 03:26 AM
New chimney liner nex barry martin Home Repair 1 October 19th 04 05:27 PM