Posted to alt.home.repair
BCDrums BCDrums is offline

Default DIY stainless steel chimney liner installation

On Dec 4, 12:21*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Dec 3, 3:57*pm, BCDrums wrote:

I need to replace my fireplace flue, and have gotten a couple of
estimates to have a stainless steel flexible liner installed ranging
from $1500 to almost $3000. I wondered if this is a job I could do
myself.

There are a number of companies online that will sell the stainless
liner, insulating material, T connector and chimney cap for around a
thousand dollars (35' of 6" liner). Has anyone ever done this job? Did
you have a good or bad experience? What tricks did you learn?

Thanks.
BC

A lot depends on whether the chimney is straight up and down, or has
one or more bends, one-story or two story, etc. *Can you look up and
see daylight when the damper is open?

I haven't removed the furnace duct to attempt to see up the flue, but
I can't see daylight through the fireplace flue. That may have to do
with the top-damper and the cap above it, or maybe there's a bend in
the flue.

The chimney is two stories with another 6' down to the basement.