Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HVAC question

It is 27 degrees F outside and my thermostat is set at 68 F. Currently my
HVAC unit (air forced heat pump) is pushing out 76 F. I'm using a
thermometer that is usually in my refrigerator.

Should I have someone check my refrigerant?

Thanks in advance.
--
Scall5

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scall5 wrote:
It is 27 degrees F outside and my thermostat is set at 68 F. Currently my
HVAC unit (air forced heat pump) is pushing out 76 F. I'm using a
thermometer that is usually in my refrigerator.

Should I have someone check my refrigerant?

No.

If you put the thermostat at "X", your HVAC system does not put out "X"
degrees. It puts out as hot (or as cold) as it can until the ROOM
temperature reaches "X".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scall5 wrote:

It is 27 degrees F outside and my thermostat is set at 68 F
Currently my HVAC unit (air forced heat pump) is pushing out 76 F.

Should I have someone check my refrigerant?

If it's 27F where you are right now, in the 3'rd week of November, I
question why you have a heat pump instead of a natural-gas fired
furnace.

Did you have this heat pump last winter? How cold was the outside temp
last January?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 8:03*am, Home Guy wrote:
Scall5 wrote:
It is 27 degrees F outside and my thermostat is set at 68 F
Currently my HVAC unit (air forced heat pump) is pushing out 76 F.
Should I have someone check my refrigerant?

If it's 27F where you are right now, in the 3'rd week of November, I
question why you have a heat pump instead of a natural-gas fired
furnace.

That's a good point. Unless it's geothermal based, but doesn't sound
like it is. I would agree that an air based
heat pump doesn't sound too practical in an area where
it's already 27F.

Did you have this heat pump last winter? *How cold was the outside temp
last January?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 23:22:23 -0600, "Scall5" wrote:

It is 27 degrees F outside and my thermostat is set at 68 F. Currently my
HVAC unit (air forced heat pump) is pushing out 76 F. I'm using a
thermometer that is usually in my refrigerator.

Should I have someone check my refrigerant?

No. You should move. 27F is much too cold for this time of the year.

I haven't turned on my heat pumps yet. Going by the extended forecast I
likely won't have to until December.

Thanks in advance.

You're welcome.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scall5 wrote:
It is 27 degrees F outside and my thermostat is set at 68 F
Currently my HVAC unit (air forced heat pump) is pushing out 76 F.
Should I have someone check my refrigerant?

If it's 27F where you are right now, in the 3'rd week of November, I
question why you have a heat pump instead of a natural-gas fired
furnace.

That's a good point. Unless it's geothermal based, but doesn't sound
like it is. I would agree that an air based
heat pump doesn't sound too practical in an area where
it's already 27F.

If the message time was correct (around midnight) that is not too cold for
this time of year in many places that use air based heat pumps. I live in
the middle of North Carolina and it hit around that last night. Have a heat
pump and are very happy with the cost to run it. It does not usually stay
that low for many days in the winter.
I used to live in a house that was half the size of the one I am in now that
had a gas fired system. The gas bill alone was more than the total electric
bill is in this house. I do have to admitt it is beter insulated.

Now if that is in the middle of the day, then it might be a very cold area
of the country and not too good for a heat pump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scall5 wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info. I live in Kentucky where 27F overnight night is rare
in November. But it is common for January when my aux. heat kicks often.

--
Scall5

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scall5" wrote in message

Thanks for the info. I live in Kentucky where 27F overnight night is
rare

in November. But it is common for January when my aux. heat kicks often.

--
Scall5

This seems to be an unusual temperature patern . It was about 26 deg F this
morning, but 55 deg at 3 PM. It is suspose to get to 70 or slightly above
in a few days. I moved in this house about 7 years ago and it has a
fireplace. I want to just use it when the family is over for Thanksgiving
and Christmas. Sofar, I have only done that twice at Christmas. Just too
hot in the house for it. A good number of years ago, it was abut 7 deg F on
Christmas, but that is also unusual for this part of the country.
Sofar summer or winter, the temperature has never been more than one deg off
on the heat pump thermostat. That is unless I have it for heat and set for
70 and it gets several deg above that due to the sun heating things up. The
heat pump is not running during that time. It is a manual switch over from
heat to cool.

HVAC question, anyone ?? No Name Home Repair 5 November 10th 09 03:48 PM
HVAC question Jim Home Repair 23 October 20th 09 05:26 PM
HVAC question HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 1 May 26th 08 09:38 PM
hvac question SteveB Home Repair 18 October 27th 07 04:06 AM
HVAC Question Peter H Home Repair 8 February 16th 05 12:40 AM