Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default HVAC question

wrote in message
On Nov 18, 8:03 am, Home Guy wrote:
Scall5 wrote:
It is 27 degrees F outside and my thermostat is set at 68 F
Currently my HVAC unit (air forced heat pump) is pushing out 76 F.
Should I have someone check my refrigerant?

If it's 27F where you are right now, in the 3'rd week of November, I
question why you have a heat pump instead of a natural-gas fired
furnace.

That's a good point. Unless it's geothermal based, but doesn't sound
like it is. I would agree that an air based
heat pump doesn't sound too practical in an area where
it's already 27F.

If the message time was correct (around midnight) that is not too cold for
this time of year in many places that use air based heat pumps. I live in
the middle of North Carolina and it hit around that last night. Have a heat
pump and are very happy with the cost to run it. It does not usually stay
that low for many days in the winter.
I used to live in a house that was half the size of the one I am in now that
had a gas fired system. The gas bill alone was more than the total electric
bill is in this house. I do have to admitt it is beter insulated.

Now if that is in the middle of the day, then it might be a very cold area
of the country and not too good for a heat pump.