Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default CFL for unheated areas?

I didn't think to try the experiment last winter to see how successful
(or not) would be during the deep cold. I know the one in the garage
will barely come on in really cold weather and while it's enough to find
one's way to the car, it would be most annoying in dark to have to wait
as long as it takes for it to brighten up in the barn when actually
want/need to do something. And, it doesn't work at all in the door opener.

So, the question is--anybody have any input on whether these things will
actually work at 0F and below w/o waiting 15-20 minutes or so?

I'm thinking I should order a few cases of incandescents; I
unfortunately apparently waited too long, the outfit of farm supplier I
ordered from previously has already dropped incandescents entirely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

So, the question is--anybody have any input on whether these things
will actually work at 0F and below w/o waiting 15-20 minutes or so?

I have 2 CFL's outside near my back door. One light is on 24/7 (because
the switch that controls it is not in a conveinent location) and the
second light is manually operated and is on from dusk till dawn every
day.

The usual temp. for over-night low in the dead of winter is maybe 10F,
with a handful of nights going down to 0F or maybe -5F at worst. Now
these lights will already be on by the time the temp hits the low temp
of the day (between midnight and 8 am). I guess the temp that I turn it
on in the evening is likely between 10-15F (I could be wrong but it's
rare to hit 0F before or just as the sun sets).

If you're looking for a light to use outdoors that is normally off but
which you want to turn on in an "on-demand / as-needed" sort of way,
then you wouldn't benefit from having a CFL in that situation anyways,
regardless of the ambient temperature.

But the short answer is yes, they will turn on when they're really cold.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb writes:

I didn't think to try the experiment last winter to see how successful
(or not) would be during the deep cold. I know the one in the garage
will barely come on in really cold weather and while it's enough to
find one's way to the car, it would be most annoying in dark to have
to wait as long as it takes for it to brighten up in the barn when
actually want/need to do something. And, it doesn't work at all in
the door opener.

So, the question is--anybody have any input on whether these things
will actually work at 0F and below w/o waiting 15-20 minutes or so?

I'm using 3 in a lamp post by the driveway.
Went though last winter with no brightness issues.

I'm in NJ.

They've already outlasted any other bulb I've ever used there.
I'm using the kind that are encased inside a smooth bulb.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/14/2011 5:03 PM, Home Guy wrote:
dpb wrote:

[...]

I don't grok the "wouldn't benefit from having a CFL" comment; the
question was posed on the basis that incandescents are disappearing
whether one wants CFL or not.

The application is not actually outside-outside; it's an unheated barn
and chores are necessary year 'round, whatever the weather and the day
starts early in the winter.

My experience as noted above has been that while the one in the garage
will, indeed, turn on, it's not close to bright for quite some time
(like minutes) when it is really cold. When I'm out to do whatever at
5AM, the last think I'm wanting is to wait for enough light to actually
see what I'm doing.

It sounds like in your case you wouldn't care/notice much as they're on
and it's not like you're actually in the space trying to do something
immediately. For that I don't think I'd care, either, as long as they
did eventually light.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

The application is not actually outside-outside; it's an unheated
barn and chores are necessary year 'round, whatever the weather
and the day starts early in the winter.

What are the farm supply stores (TSC?) around you selling?

Do they sell any of those "farm" light bulbs? (also known maybe as
rough service or coated bulbs)

I think there's going to to be non-CFL bulbs around for a while. I'm
seeing more "tungsten" bulbs - maybe they're going to be the alternative
to regular incandescent.

You might just keep the CFL's turned on all the time from November to
March (unless having constant light would not be appreciated by the
inhabitants).

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

[...]

how about a timer in the circuit?

It sounds like in your case you wouldn't care/notice much as they're on
and it's not like you're actually in the space trying to do something
immediately. For that I don't think I'd care, either, as long as they
did eventually light.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/11 5:44 PM, dpb wrote:
I didn't think to try the experiment last winter to see how successful
(or not) would be during the deep cold. I know the one in the garage
will barely come on in really cold weather and while it's enough to find
one's way to the car, it would be most annoying in dark to have to wait
as long as it takes for it to brighten up in the barn when actually
want/need to do something. And, it doesn't work at all in the door opener.

So, the question is--anybody have any input on whether these things will
actually work at 0F and below w/o waiting 15-20 minutes or so?

I'm thinking I should order a few cases of incandescents; I
unfortunately apparently waited too long, the outfit of farm supplier I
ordered from previously has already dropped incandescents entirely.

--

Some people use CFLs successfully down to -25F. They need cold-weather
ballasts and suitable phosphors. For lights that aren't left on long,
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

[...]

Best idea posted so far. Also, the CFLs that are then encapsulated
in an outside glass bulb should heat up rather quickly compared to a
bulb that is entirely open.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

I didn't think to try the experiment last winter to see how successful
(or not) would be during the deep cold. I know the one in the garage
will barely come on in really cold weather and while it's enough to find
one's way to the car, it would be most annoying in dark to have to wait
as long as it takes for it to brighten up in the barn when actually
want/need to do something. And, it doesn't work at all in the door opener.

So, the question is--anybody have any input on whether these things will
actually work at 0F and below w/o waiting 15-20 minutes or so?

I'm thinking I should order a few cases of incandescents; I
unfortunately apparently waited too long, the outfit of farm supplier I
ordered from previously has already dropped incandescents entirely.

--

I have a 40' container located in NW CT where it gets pretty cold during
the winter. I have a string of six ordinary non-encapsulated 9W CFLs
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/14/2011 10:09 PM, Pete C. wrote:

dpb wrote:

[...]

That's far brighter and much faster than the one I've had in the
garage--could probably adjust to that if were that rapid. It really is
minutes before the one I've tried is bright enough it isn't very easy to
look directly at it and see the coils and watch it gradually work it's
way down the helix to the end before it finally has some decent output...

Once one is out, there's no coffee, just work... And, if need to
help an animal in the night calving or such, any such time delay would
be essentially intolerable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm in NYS, using CFL for my outdoor porch light. I leave it
on, all day and all night. Seems to work. I'm guessing if I
turned it off, it might not come on in cold weather.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

I'm using 3 in a lamp post by the driveway.
Went though last winter with no brightness issues.

I'm in NJ.

They've already outlasted any other bulb I've ever used
there.
I'm using the kind that are encased inside a smooth bulb.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

[...]

The big problem that the industry itself should fix is that
there is no way of knowing how fast any bulb actually
gets to some reasonable level of power. What is needed
is a consistent spec where they measure how long it
takes to get to say 66% light output at 70F, 40F and 20F.
Then when you bought a bulb, at least you'd know what
you're getting. I've seen them vary widely. Some of the
best are the swirly open ones in my garage. Some of the
worst are the ones that look like floods that are in my
kitchen. Those take several minutes to get to reasonable
output.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2011 4:44 PM, dpb wrote:
I didn't think to try the experiment last winter to see how successful
(or not) would be during the deep cold. I know the one in the garage
will barely come on in really cold weather and while it's enough to
find one's way to the car, it would be most annoying in dark to have
to wait as long as it takes for it to brighten up in the barn when
actually want/need to do something. And, it doesn't work at all in the
door opener.

So, the question is--anybody have any input on whether these things
will actually work at 0F and below w/o waiting 15-20 minutes or so?

I'm thinking I should order a few cases of incandescents; I
unfortunately apparently waited too long, the outfit of farm supplier
I ordered from previously has already dropped incandescents entirely.

The bulbs going away over the next few years are standard
incandescents between 40 watts and 150 watts. The standard 100-watt
incandescents are the first to be phased out, starting in 2012. Bulbs
outside this range are exempt from the ban. Also exempt are most
specialty bulbs, including appliance lamps, "rough service" bulbs,
3-way, colored bulbs, and plant lights.

I'm in Minnesota and have had the same problem with fluorescent in the
garage during extreme cold. I replaced them with 150-watt and 200-watt
clear incandescent bulbs. When the 150 watt bulbs eventually disappear
from the store shelves, I'll just replace them with 200 watt bulbs.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/15/2011 8:00 AM, Hell Toupee wrote:

The bulbs going away over the next few years are standard incandescents
between 40 watts and 150 watts. The standard 100-watt incandescents are
the first to be phased out, starting in 2012. Bulbs outside this range
are exempt from the ban. Also exempt are most specialty bulbs, including
appliance lamps, "rough service" bulbs, 3-way, colored bulbs, and plant
lights.

I'm in Minnesota and have had the same problem with fluorescent in the
garage during extreme cold. I replaced them with 150-watt and 200-watt
clear incandescent bulbs. When the 150 watt bulbs eventually disappear
from the store shelves, I'll just replace them with 200 watt bulbs.

Yeah, the "rough service" may be what I'll end up with altho they're
quite a lot more expensive (and probably going to become even more so)
and don't provide any longer life in the barn.

Meanwhile, I'll order a case or three of various ilks--that'll last a
while and maybe by the time they're gone there will be something that is
a suitable replacement that isn't _too_ stinkin' expensive (or I'll be
past worrying about it).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 08:00:11 -0600, Hell Toupee wrote:

On 11/14/2011 4:44 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

I just bought a couple of cases of bulbs from 1000bulbs.com. If I move to a
house with fewer bulbs, I'll just sell them on the black market and make a
killing! "Psst, kid, wanna buy a 100W light bulb?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

[...]

output.- Hide quoted text -

Useless in a powder room where you only might spend a minute or two.
Not only never getting up to full brightness but wear out quicker due
to fast cycling or someone turning on a few minutes later.

As for op question, mine on porch and in garage are both OK in winter.

By and large, I think cfl's are a good idea as in long run they save
money and electricity.
I just don't like them being rammed down our throats as they are not a
panacea for all uses.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 09:27:56 -0800 (PST), Frank wrote:

dpb wrote:

[...]

Almost every light in my house has a usage profile similar to that. I learned
to turn lights off when I leave a room *long* ago. I didn't need government
to tell me to do it, either.

As for op question, mine on porch and in garage are both OK in winter.

My incandescents are fine there, too.

By and large, I think cfl's are a good idea as in long run they save
money and electricity.

I disagree.

I just don't like them being rammed down our throats as they are not a
panacea for all uses.

Next thing they're going to demand is that the toilet seat be put down.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/15/2011 11:27 AM, Frank wrote:

By and large, I think cfl's are a good idea as in long run they save
money and electricity.

They save some electricity and the consumption end; not sure whether the
manufacturing process is breakeven or not for overall energy
consumption. I'm certainly not convinced yet they save any money given
prices and the needs that are generated for specialty bulbs for
applications such as the one in this thread that are significantly more
costly than ordinary incandescent bulbs at 0.50/ea for bulk packs.

I just don't like them being rammed down our throats as they are not a
panacea for all uses.

Amen to that--folks can do whatever they choose and even I have some in
some locations in the house but if they're a good deal overall they'll
win on own w/o intervention and the alternative will disappear on its
own if there's no need. Meanwhile they managed to move yet another
business totally offshore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

[...]

A timer might work for the mornings when the OP knows he'll be in the
barn at a certain time, but it won't help for those unscheduled
evening/late night trips.

In those cases (assuming they'll occur) he'll still be in low-light
until the CFL's warm up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote in :

I didn't think to try the experiment last winter to see how successful
(or not) would be during the deep cold. I know the one in the garage
will barely come on in really cold weather and while it's enough to
find one's way to the car, it would be most annoying in dark to have
to wait as long as it takes for it to brighten up in the barn when
actually want/need to do something. And, it doesn't work at all in
the door opener.

So, the question is--anybody have any input on whether these things
will actually work at 0F and below w/o waiting 15-20 minutes or so?

I'm thinking I should order a few cases of incandescents; I
unfortunately apparently waited too long, the outfit of farm supplier
I ordered from previously has already dropped incandescents entirely.

--

Consider a hybrid halogen-CFL bulb. I've never tried one but it sounds
good anyway. I've seen them at McLowe's.

"The halogen capsule inside GE's new hybrid halogen-CFL bulb comes on
instantly, allowing the bulb to operate noticeably brighter in less than
a half a second. The capsule shuts off once the CFL comes to full
brightness."

Ref: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/halogen-...news-8426.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
I didn't think to try the experiment last winter to see how successful
(or not) would be during the deep cold. I know the one in the garage
will barely come on in really cold weather and while it's enough to find
one's way to the car, it would be most annoying in dark to have to wait
as long as it takes for it to brighten up in the barn when actually
want/need to do something. And, it doesn't work at all in the door opener.

So, the question is--anybody have any input on whether these things will
actually work at 0F and below w/o waiting 15-20 minutes or so?

I'm thinking I should order a few cases of incandescents; I
unfortunately apparently waited too long, the outfit of farm supplier I
ordered from previously has already dropped incandescents entirely.

--

I've got four bulbs on a motion sensors under the carport and a couple
on the front porch. When one quits and it's cold I replace it with
incandescent, during the warmer months a CFL.. they are for security
and so I can check the oil in the car and air up the tires. As long as
something lights up when someone approaches that's good enough. It's
not a big deal, they get up to full brightness or bright enough faster
than I move now days. Same in the bathroom and the kitchen. The gov't
worries about me using electricy? All that vampire stuff and things
with a clock in it and three computers and the big screen running most
of the time ... and the foot heater I'm running now, that's what keeps
my electric bill near 100 bucks year around. And the coffee pot....
I think I provide half the space heating in this place with
electricity use from the electrical stuff during winter and of course
have to cool all that heat in the summer.
Anyway back to CFL, wire up some extras on a separate switch if you
have to, in cold weather flip both switches .. no big deal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 1:29*am, "Mr. Austerity" "PrintMo.Money " wrote:
dpb wrote:
[...]

have to, in cold weather flip both switches .. no big deal.- Hide quoted text -

That last bit of advice sounds like a big deal to me. How
practical is it to wire up extra lights on a seperate switch?
And for all those folks that could not do it themselves, I can
just see them hiring an electrician to run extra lights. Pay
$1000 now, save $1 a year over the next 1000 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/15/2011 8:34 PM, Red Green wrote:

Consider a hybrid halogen-CFL bulb. I've never tried one but it sounds
good anyway. I've seen them at McLowe's.

"The halogen capsule inside GE's new hybrid halogen-CFL bulb comes on
instantly, allowing the bulb to operate noticeably brighter in less than
a half a second. The capsule shuts off once the CFL comes to full
brightness."

Ref: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/halogen-...news-8426.html

That's interesting; I hadn't seen or heard of them.

Of course, it's a (relatively) far more complex technology required to
work around a problem that had been solved for 100+ years, but...

Real issue is it's an initial cost ratio of roughly 15:1 -- haven't
tried to work out the actual math on how long it might take to break
even, but it'll be quite a while methinks.

But, it is an interesting alternative indeed given the mandate that has
been passed, thanks. I'll look and see if can find one in town for grins.

Meanwhile, I ordered two cases of standard bulbs to have a stash for a
while while technology continues to evolve.

Appreciate the input from everybody altho the major mod's or resorting
to timers, etc., aren't going to happen. A lot of the problem is that
I'm an old codger and hate things not being the way they have
been...it's an annoyance although it is real that if the sound alert
goes off at 2AM it's a definite problem if it's a dosage or something
else requiring immediate action when the light is marginal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 4:44*pm, dpb wrote:
I didn't think to try the experiment last winter to see how successful
(or not) would be during the deep cold. *I know the one in the garage
will barely come on in really cold weather and while it's enough to find
one's way to the car, it would be most annoying in dark to have to wait
as long as it takes for it to brighten up in the barn when actually
want/need to do something. *And, it doesn't work at all in the door opener.

So, the question is--anybody have any input on whether these things will
actually work at 0F and below w/o waiting 15-20 minutes or so?

I'm thinking I should order a few cases of incandescents; I
unfortunately apparently waited too long, the outfit of farm supplier I
ordered from previously has already dropped incandescents entirely. *

--

We have 5 CFLs, in exterior cans, in the soffit above our driveway and
entry sidewalk. A sixth on our front porch. In nearly three years I

For the record we live in SE Kansas. Winter temps in the 20's are
common, with occasional lows below zero.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/16/2011 10:19 AM, RonB wrote:

We have 5 CFLs, in exterior cans, in the soffit above our driveway and
entry sidewalk. A sixth on our front porch. In nearly three years I
have replaced two of them. In cold weather they hesitate for about a
second before they come on but provide pretty good light until they
warm up. When warm, in a minute or two, they are at full brilliance.

For the record we live in SE Kansas. Winter temps in the 20's are
common, with occasional lows below zero.

For that general-purpose as I noted initially, sure--one can find one's
way to/from w/ a candle.

My complaint is that when am in need of something critical and it's
detail-oriented like dosing a calf or similar it's _extremely_ annoying
(particularly w/ old eyes) to have to wait that minutes before can
actually see what need (again, particularly in middle of night when
already not _necessarily_ in the best of humor ).

Far W KS, lows are typically 10F lower or even more than SE KS--the
extra ~2000+/- ft elevation and much lower humidity makes a big difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
dpb typed:
[...]

Read the packaging: some are made for cold starts, some are not. Also get
whte light, not blue or pinksh.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/16/2011 2:15 PM, Twayne wrote:
In ,
typed:

My complaint is that when am in need of something
critical and it's detail-oriented like dosing a calf or
similar it's _extremely_ annoying (particularly w/ old
eyes) to have to wait that minutes before can actually
see what need (again, particularly in middle of night
when already not _necessarily_ in the best of humor ).

Read the packaging: some are made for cold starts, some are not. Also get
whte light, not blue or pinksh.

My complaint (and not at you) is _WHY_ should I have to when the
solution has been at hand for 100 years?