Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default CFL for unheated areas?

In ,
dpb typed:
On 11/16/2011 10:19 AM, RonB wrote:

We have 5 CFLs, in exterior cans, in the soffit above
our driveway and entry sidewalk. A sixth on our front
porch. In nearly three years I have replaced two of
them. In cold weather they hesitate for about a second
before they come on but provide pretty good light until
they warm up. When warm, in a minute or two, they are
at full brilliance. For the record we live in SE Kansas. Winter temps
in
the 20's are common, with occasional lows below zero.

For that general-purpose as I noted initially, sure--one
can find one's way to/from w/ a candle.

My complaint is that when am in need of something
critical and it's detail-oriented like dosing a calf or
similar it's _extremely_ annoying (particularly w/ old
eyes) to have to wait that minutes before can actually
see what need (again, particularly in middle of night
when already not _necessarily_ in the best of humor ).
Far W KS, lows are typically 10F lower or even more than
SE KS--the extra ~2000+/- ft elevation and much lower humidity makes
a big difference.

Read the packaging: some are made for cold starts, some are not. Also get
whte light, not blue or pinksh.