Posted to alt.home.repair

Default There must be a better way to iron shirts at home (maybe a form?)

My wife won't iron, and I'm tired of dropping off a dozen 100% cotton dress
shirts at the cleaners and paying $1.75 per shirt for what amounts to
pressing.

I hate non-cotton dress shirts, so, it's either I press them or they press
them. I can wash them, no problem, but the wrinkes and the creases are
needed.

I would love a big fancy 'press' but I presume that's too expensive and
bulky for home use and it may never pay for itself at $1.75 per shirt (one
shirt per work day).

I'm currently using the classic full-sized ironing board, and while that
works well, it seems such a waste of effort to iron first both sides of the
sleeves, then the left front, the right front, the left rear, the right
rear, the center rear, and the collar, in what amounts to ten separate
steps.

Thinking ahead, I wonder ...

What do the most innovative of you guys do?

For example, would a wooden 'form' help? I'm guessing I could make a
squarish plywood form with rounded shoulders, arms, and a neck area, then
slip the shirt over that form, all buttoned up perhaps.

That way, I might be able to iron the front in one operation, and the back
in the second operation.

What do you think?

Have any of you solved the multi-step problem of ironing shirts at home
without switching to substandard materials?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 5:36*am, Fred James wrote:
[...]

Wimmin's work. Get a new model.

In commercial laundrys it is done by a mechanical device.
It takes the form of a wire mesh "manikin".
The damp garment is slipped over it and secured down. A blast of hot
air from the bottom instantly inflates the garment and dries it in one
operation. Takes about five seconds, the speed of the operator being
the prime factor.

Again,wimmin' s work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fred James wrote:
[...]

There are tabletop ironing presses that reduce - but not eliminate - the
work of ironing. Here's an example:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CG4Q8wIwAQ#

Aside:
They day after the couple returned from the honeymoon, the Southern bride
rushed to her mother:

"Oh, momma, I'm leaving Beau! He's a beast! A beast, I tell you true!"

"There, there, Daisy. What's wrong? He seemed like such a nice boy"

"Oh momma. No sooner do we get back home but he starts using those awful
four-letter words. It is just too horrid to take!"

"There, there, dear... What kind of four-letter words did Beau bother you
with?"

"Oh momma, words like WASH and IRON and DUST and a whole bunch of others.
It's more than I can bear!"

"I understand dear...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fred James wrote:
[...]

Always wear a jacket. That way, all you have to iron is the cuffs and a
narrow front strip

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Fred James wrote:
...snipped...
Have any of you solved the multi-step problem of ironing shirts at home
without switching to substandard materials?

I solved it by not ironing, around 40 years ago. Sure that won't work for you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-11-12, Fred James wrote:

What do you think?

I think you need to learn to iron.

Find some enlisted GI. I bet he knows how to iron and can teach you
everthing you need to know. I learned to iron uniforms in the service
and later did it most of my life, my ex barely capable of inhaling and
walking at the same time. Shouldn't take you more that 5 mins to iron
a cotton dress shirt, with starch, on a std ironing board with a basic
electric steam iron. Get one with a non-stick bottom.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/12/2011 8:25 AM, Larry W wrote:
In ,
Fred wrote:
...snipped...
Have any of you solved the multi-step problem of ironing shirts at home
without switching to substandard materials?

I solved it by not ironing, around 40 years ago. Sure that won't work for you?

I agree- get a life. Even all-cotton shirts are more than presentable if
you hang-dry them and just just gently tug all the wrinkles out while
they are damp. 'Snap' them like a blanket before putting on hanger, and
just smooth out any remaining bumps.

And while all-poly shirts ARE a sin against nature, the 'mostly cotton'
blends do work well and are quite comfortable. They also hang-dry with
no apparent wrinkles.

Starch? Creases? What year does OP live in? Even rich people and fashion
models don't dress like that any more.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fred James wrote:

My wife won't iron, and I'm tired of dropping off a dozen 100%
cotton dress shirts at the cleaners and paying $1.75 per shirt
for what amounts to pressing.

Answer:

Van Heusen wrinkle-free shirts.
60% cotton, 40% polyester.

Long sleeve and short-sleeve versions.

Also known as wrinle-free "poplin".

Wash them, dry them, take them out of the dryer and put them right on a
hanger. Take them out of the dryer before they're completely dry. They
will dry on the hanger with no wrinkles.

http://www.amazon.com/Van-Heusen-Wri.../dp/B000W18WR0

These prices seem expensive.

I bought them maybe 5 years ago for $17 - $20 each, usually at those
highway "Factory Outlet" strip-mall stores.

They seem to be skimping on the cotton. Mine are 60/40 cotton. These
amazon ones are only 35% cotton.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 12:36*am, Fred James wrote:
[...]

How's this for innovative?

I wash a week's worth of shirts on Friday or Saturday.

I hang them on hangers to dry - front load washer, high speed spin,
they dry in a few hours.

Later in the weekend, I set up my ironing board in front of the
basement TV.

I find some a sports, DIY or educational show.

I iron 5 shirts in a less than a 1/2 hour. I'm good for the week.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 21:36:19 -0800, Fred James
wrote:

What do the most innovative of you guys do?

A scantly clad French maid

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 05:02:13 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Aside:
They day after the couple returned from the honeymoon, the Southern bride
rushed to her mother:

"Oh, momma, I'm leaving Beau! He's a beast! A beast, I tell you true!"

"There, there, Daisy. What's wrong? He seemed like such a nice boy"

"Oh momma. No sooner do we get back home but he starts using those awful
four-letter words. It is just too horrid to take!"

"There, there, dear... What kind of four-letter words did Beau bother you
with?"

"Oh momma, words like WASH and IRON and DUST and a whole bunch of others.
It's more than I can bear!"

"I understand dear...

Wanted: Attractive woman that can clean, FISH and COOK. Please send
picture of the BOAT.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fred James" wrote in message
[...]

Sequence is everything. I ironed my own clothes from age 10 onward, and can
iron a dress shirt FAST. First, iron sleeves. Next, collar. Next the back
of the collar that goes over the shoulders. Stretch it onto the pointy end
of the board so you can do it in one pass, the whole yolk being flat. Then
start at right or left chest, and pull the shirt on to the pointy end of the
board at the neck. Flatten it out so you get the tip top point of the
chest, and all down along the buttons. Do a rolling action, ironing a
portion of the fabric that goes around you, a section at a time. Overlap a
little so that it all gets good coverage.

Temperature and humidity are crucial. Steam irons are good.

It ain't rocket surgery.

I'll do a youtube for you.

How come you didn't learn this as a kid?

One of those little pampered boys, eh?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

Starch? Creases? What year does OP live in? Even rich people and
fashion models don't dress like that any more.

But people who want to become rich do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 18:49:22 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

aemeijers wrote:

Starch? Creases? What year does OP live in? Even rich people and
fashion models don't dress like that any more.

But people who want to become rich do.

s/"want to become"/"want others to believe they are"/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 09:39:23 -0500, aemeijers wrote:

On 11/12/2011 8:25 AM, Larry W wrote:
In ,
Fred wrote:
...snipped...
Have any of you solved the multi-step problem of ironing shirts at home
without switching to substandard materials?

I solved it by not ironing, around 40 years ago. Sure that won't work for you?

I agree- get a life. Even all-cotton shirts are more than presentable if
you hang-dry them and just just gently tug all the wrinkles out while
they are damp. 'Snap' them like a blanket before putting on hanger, and
just smooth out any remaining bumps.

Yep. The trick is to hang them up while they're still a little on the damp
side (modern dryers work wonders). A little misting with a squirt bottle can
help, too.

And while all-poly shirts ARE a sin against nature, the 'mostly cotton'
blends do work well and are quite comfortable. They also hang-dry with
no apparent wrinkles.

60% is good.

Starch? Creases? What year does OP live in? Even rich people and fashion
models don't dress like that any more.

Military, maybe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What do the most innovative of you guys do?

A scantly clad French maid

Good, but not very innovative. Sorry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Nov 12, 12:36*am, Fred James wrote:
My wife won't iron, and I'm tired of dropping off a dozen 100% cotton dress
shirts at the cleaners and paying $1.75 per shirt for what amounts to
pressing.

Have any of you solved the multi-step problem of ironing shirts at home
without switching to substandard materials?

I don't know about substandard but all my shirts are from:

http://www.sullivanuniforms.com/unif...+Shi rts.html

Cheap, well-made, hold up well through many washings (note the
"Industrial wash" in the description). Some shirts I've had for 15+
years. No fraying. The only complaint is that the white becomes
slightly gray after a while but when that happens those are the ones
you use for painting.

How's this for innovative?

I wash a week's worth of shirts on Friday or Saturday.

Good but no cigar. I do 18 shirts at a time (i.e. 18 days worth) which
co-incidentally works out to one full washer load or one full
shirts-only hamper (unwashed).

I hang them on hangers to dry - front load washer, high speed spin,
they dry in a few hours.

Exactly. Saves money on dryer too. Don't really need a front load
washer. Do the top button up and pull out any parts that have been
tucked in by the washer. Stretch the arms if necessary. Use vinyl-clad
wire hangers if possible: they have little bumps to approximate the
shape of your (anyone's) shoulders. Unfortunately they're near
impossible to obtain these days.

Later in the weekend, I set up my ironing board in front of the
basement TV.

I find some a sports, DIY or educational show.

I iron 5 shirts in a less than a 1/2 hour. I'm good for the week.

No. Cut out all the ironing. Waste of time. When dry pick all the
hangers off the drying pole and hang (don't fold) shirts in the
closet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/12/2011 9:29 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 09:39:23 -0500, wrote:

On 11/12/2011 8:25 AM, Larry W wrote:
In ,
Fred wrote:
...snipped...
[...]

Dunno about the full-dress uniforms, but the semi-dress (like they used
to wear in my office before they started wearing camo freaking
everywhere) have been poly-cotton wash'n'wear for years.

(always wondered- shouldn't camo for office workers look like modular
office furniture or something?)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/12/2011 12:36 AM, Fred James wrote:
[...]

Buying the best 100% Egyptian cotton makes ironing easier, but difficult
to find....best I found was about 30 yrs ago, ladies tailored (like mens
shirt) blouse from Gap. They were easier to iron than blends, with
steam only. Next to commercial laundry, I'd try craigslist or a freebie
group...must be some retirees willing to iron and $1.75 comes out to a
really good hourly rate for basing the pay. Or even a cleaning
lady...my babysitter used to finish up the dishes and do my ironing )

Check this out:
http://www.unipresscorp.com/index.ph...d7fc0d6c39b 5

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

aemeijers wrote:

Starch? Creases? What year does OP live in? Even rich people and
fashion models don't dress like that any more.

But people who want to become rich do.

s/"want to become"/"want others to believe they are"/

Well, both, since you mention it.

I'm a disciple of the advice offered in "Dress for Success" by Molloy. In
that book, Molloy (who used real math) deduced the appropriate attire for
those who want to rise in the ranks. After you become a multi-millionaire,
like Michael Moore, you can dress like a homeless person, but until then you
have to garner the respect of your bosses and customers. As an example, have
you ever seen a bank employee or stock broker, on the job, wearing a hoodie
or a ring through his nose?

Nose ring? Um, yes. Stock broker? Do they still exist (in person)?

BTW, Ben and Jerry were always dirty bums, even when the scooped the ice cream
themselves.

When asked what to wear to attract women, Molloy offered this gem: "I have
no idea. The best plan I've seen so far is to let a woman dress you. You
will then be dressed to please all women."

Well, women obviously dress for women, so why should they dress men for
themselves too? We're certainly not going to do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 23:18:55 -0500, aemeijers wrote:

On 11/12/2011 9:29 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 09:39:23 -0500, wrote:

On 11/12/2011 8:25 AM, Larry W wrote:
In ,
Fred wrote:
...snipped...
[...]

The guys I used to see around (mostly ANG or reservists, I suppose) have
creases.

(always wondered- shouldn't camo for office workers look like modular
office furniture or something?)

Good point. ...or maybe a Windows logo. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 12:36*am, Fred James wrote:

What do the most innovative of you guys do?

I don't know how innovative it was but once upon a time I found an
elderly lady that pressed my (custom) shirts for $1. Can't remember
where I found her, but it was probably the Thrifty Nickel or some
similar local ad rag.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 05:34:16 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:

Well, both, since you mention it.

I'm a disciple of the advice offered in "Dress for Success" by
Molloy. In that book, Molloy (who used real math) deduced the
appropriate attire for those who want to rise in the ranks. After
you become a multi-millionaire, like Michael Moore, you can dress
like a homeless person, but until then you have to garner the
respect of your bosses and customers. As an example, have you ever
seen a bank employee or stock broker, on the job, wearing a hoodie
or a ring through his nose?

Nose ring? Um, yes. Stock broker? Do they still exist (in person)?

Of course. Most are unemployed, but they exist.

Learn something new every day. I thought all that stuff was done on the
Internet, these days.

BTW, Ben and Jerry were always dirty bums, even when the scooped the
ice cream themselves.

I suppose the meta-rule is you dress to please, or inspire confidence in,
your audience (customers). Ben and Jerry evidently dressed to fit in with
their base customers.

Could be but they *are* bums. Their target customers were really the
trust-fund kiddies (you know, the OWS types) of Burlington.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

wrote:

[...]

I once had a little mini ironing board that fit into the sleeves and
made ironing them pretty easy. I guess I could make one out of a
narrow triangle of wood and a bit of stuffing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.sullivanuniforms.com/unif...-shirts/Red+Ka...

Cheap, well-made, hold up well through many washings (note the
"Industrial wash" in the description). Some shirts I've had for 15+
years. No fraying. The only complaint is that the white becomes
slightly gray after a while but when that happens those are the ones
you use for painting.

How's this for innovative?
I wash a week's worth of shirts on Friday or Saturday.

Good but no cigar. I do 18 shirts at a time (i.e. 18 days worth) which
co-incidentally works out to one full washer load or one full
shirts-only hamper (unwashed).

I don't have/need 18 shirts. I wear white shirts every day, so 7 is
all I need. 5 for the week and 2 as spares in case one gets trashed
during the week or I notice wear and have to toss a shirt. I then
replace it soon afterwards.

I hang them on hangers to dry - front load washer, high speed spin,
they dry in a few hours.

Exactly. Saves money on dryer too. Don't really need a front load
washer.

But I *have* a front load washer. The point was that with my front
loader, the shirts come out much dryer than when I had a top loader
meaning that I can iron much sooner if my washing is delayed or I have
free time earlier.

Do the top button up and pull out any parts that have been
tucked in by the washer. Stretch the arms if necessary. Use vinyl-clad
wire hangers if possible: they have little bumps to approximate the
shape of your (anyone's) shoulders. Unfortunately they're near
impossible to obtain these days.

Later in the weekend, I set up my ironing board in front of the
basement TV.
I find some a sports, DIY or educational show.
I iron 5 shirts in a less than a 1/2 hour. I'm good for the week.

No. Cut out all the ironing. Waste of time. When dry pick all the
hangers off the drying pole and hang (don't fold) shirts in the
closet.

It's not a waste of time if the shirts actually need ironing.

I always hang my shirts right out of the washer and leave them hung on
the hangers but they still need ironing after they dry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Back in the 50's an appliance called the mangle, an automatic ironing machine, was popular. It apparently wasn't the time saver it was advertised to be and fell out of favor.

In the early 70's, I was cleaning my inlaws' gargage and came across a mangle, which they wanted thrown out. We took it up to the dump and were told where to toss it. When we got there, we saw three or four other mangles which had recently been disposed of.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 3:50*pm, Pavel314 wrote:
Back in the 50's an appliance called the mangle, an automatic ironing machine, was popular. It apparently wasn't the time saver it was advertised to be and fell out of favor.

In the early 70's, I was cleaning my inlaws' gargage and came across a mangle, which they wanted thrown out. We took it up to the dump and were told where to toss it. When we got there, we saw three or four other mangles which had recently been disposed of.

Your dump has a special section just for mangles?

That sure is an organized dump!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Together they formed a Multi-Mangle? So, you hung around and
had a discussion, fondly called a Multi-Mangle-Mingle?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus