Posted to alt.home.repair

Default RG59 or RG6?

Hello-
I am getting ready to have cable internet installed for the first
time in my house. Due to the odd location at which I would like the
cable to emerge, I would like to route the cable myself before the
installer gets here..
Should I use RG59 or RG6? Any other issues I should be aware of?
Thanks for your help.
Frank
P.S. I'm guessing RG6 would be the "safest" option? The run to the
outside box should be less than 100 ft.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 7:41*pm, frank1492 wrote:
Hello-
* *I am getting ready to have cable internet installed for the first
time in my house. Due to the odd location at which I would like the
cable to emerge, I would like to route the cable myself before the
installer gets here..
* *Should I use RG59 or RG6? Any other issues I should be aware of?
* *Thanks for your help.
* * * * *Frank
* *P.S. I'm guessing RG6 would be the "safest" option? The run to the
outside box should be less than 100 ft.

@frank1492:

You should be using RG6 for modern cable service...

Be forewarned, the cable company may not offer any sort of service
guarantee on customer installed wiring, choosing to do this work
yourself now might result in the cable company either having you
replace it later by paying a huge fee to them OR hiring your own
electrician...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote in
:

Hello-
I am getting ready to have cable internet installed for the first
time in my house. Due to the odd location at which I would like the
cable to emerge, I would like to route the cable myself before the
installer gets here..
Should I use RG59 or RG6? Any other issues I should be aware of?
Thanks for your help.
Frank
P.S. I'm guessing RG6 would be the "safest" option? The run to the
outside box should be less than 100 ft.

What are the government regulations in your area? Does the cableco own the
wire up to the wall-jack? Is it even legal for you to run your own cable?
I'd check on those things if I were you.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote:
frank1492 wrote in
:

Hello-
I am getting ready to have cable internet installed for the first
time in my house. Due to the odd location at which I would like the
cable to emerge, I would like to route the cable myself before the
installer gets here..
Should I use RG59 or RG6? Any other issues I should be aware of?
Thanks for your help.
Frank
P.S. I'm guessing RG6 would be the "safest" option? The run to the
outside box should be less than 100 ft.

What are the government regulations in your area? Does the cableco
own the wire up to the wall-jack? Is it even legal for you to run
your own cable? I'd check on those things if I were you.

And, if there are such regulations as obtaining a permit, inspections, and
having the work done by a licensed hippie with a pencil-thin mustache, then
plan on moving to a more benign jurisdiction.

If a city or county regulates how TV cable is run, pretty soon they'll be
prohibiting broccoli in the garbage disposal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Tegger wrote:
frank1492 wrote in
:

[...]

Don't laugh. Some area still have those 1960s-style laws...

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/2011 16:41, frank1492 wrote:
Hello-
I am getting ready to have cable internet installed for the first
time in my house. Due to the odd location at which I would like the
cable to emerge, I would like to route the cable myself before the
installer gets here..
Should I use RG59 or RG6? Any other issues I should be aware of?
Thanks for your help.

Use RG6 cable. RG59 has been obsolete for over 20 years.

My understanding is that inside wiring for telephone and cable has been
deregulated at the federal level. The catch is that it performs poorly
you're responsible for it. The installer should note that preexisting
wire is being used and test it for proper bandwidth.

The biggest hazards with DIY cable wiring are poor connections on the
ends and smashed cables or sharp bends. Run the cable carefully without
sharp bends (no less than a 1 inch radius) and protect it against
getting smashed. Let the cable installer put the connectors on at the
ends of the cable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Evan wrote:
[...]

You can fix that by having the cable company install a jack in a place
convenient to them. then connect your cable to wherever theirs
connected. Or run your cable to their box and use a jumper.
If you ever have an issue, move the cable box to the approved connector
before you call 'em.
I've been doing that with DSL for years. I can disconnect the whole
house and use my dedicated wiring only...or just plug into their
socket directly to convince 'em it ain't me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"frank1492" wrote in message
Hello-
I am getting ready to have cable internet installed for the first
time in my house. Due to the odd location at which I would like the
cable to emerge, I would like to route the cable myself before the
installer gets here..
Should I use RG59 or RG6? Any other issues I should be aware of?
Thanks for your help.
Frank
P.S. I'm guessing RG6 would be the "safest" option? The run to the
outside box should be less than 100 ft.

Use RG-6 and a good grade of it. If you tell the cable people what you are
going to do, they may give you the cable. Also if you can just run the
cable and let the installer put the connectors on it, so much the beter.

The cable should be well shielded for two reasons. To keep other signals
from getting into the system and more so to keep the cable signals inside
the cable so they will not cause problems with other services that use the
same frequencies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 19:37:46 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Tegger wrote:
frank1492 wrote in
:

[...]

Can you imagine spanding life in prison for installing your own cable
tv wire? Scary thought, but I bet it happens all the time. Of
course the actual reason could be that Bubba likes electricians in his
bed at night? Maybe they spark his interest, or he has a fetish for
wire nuts, or they are just his outlet to relax after a hard day in
prison.

But all this makes sense. We cant just let every noodle in the soup
can playing electrician, just like we cant have mothers playing doctor
with their children. Why just yesterday I saw a mother apply a
bandaid to her sons thumb, which he scraped on the swing set at the
park. Seconds later the police hauled this mother away in a paddy
wagon, and charged her with medical fraud. On the police report, it
said she was practicing medicine without a medical license. According
to her lawyer, she'll get 20 to 30 years in prison and could be
eligable to leave in 15 to 18 years for good behavior.

Doncha just love living in the land of the free!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 7, 7:41*pm, frank1492 wrote:
Hello-
* *I am getting ready to have cable internet installed for the first
time in my house. Due to the odd location at which I would like the
cable to emerge, I would like to route the cable myself before the
installer gets here..
* *Should I use RG59 or RG6? Any other issues I should be aware of?
* *Thanks for your help.
* * * * *Frank
* *P.S. I'm guessing RG6 would be the "safest" option? The run to the
outside box should be less than 100 ft.

The installer can't install the cable in the "odd location"?

Those guys do it every day and most of them are very good at what they
do. I had a cable run for my internet connection through a part of my
attic where I didn't even think it was possible because the area is so
tight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 9:11*am, Ron wrote:
On Nov 7, 7:41*pm, frank1492 wrote:

Hello-
* *I am getting ready to have cable internet installed for the first
time in my house. Due to the odd location at which I would like the
cable to emerge, I would like to route the cable myself before the
installer gets here..
* *Should I use RG59 or RG6? Any other issues I should be aware of?
* *Thanks for your help.
* * * * *Frank
* *P.S. I'm guessing RG6 would be the "safest" option? The run to the
outside box should be less than 100 ft.

The installer can't install the cable in the "odd location"?

Those guys do it every day and most of them are very good at what they
do. I had a cable run for my internet connection through a part of my
attic where I didn't even think it was possible because the area is so
tight.

some cable companies refuse to fish wires.

some cable companies use special cable quad shield, that cant use
standard connectors.

OP should call cable company and ask!

DEFINETELY DO NOT USE RG59!!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...G6-669533-.htm
DA wrote:
bob haller wrote:
some cable companies refuse to fish wires.

For free. Most of them (at least those that also serve businesses) would
be glad to subcontract a local installer and charge $80-$90/hr + trip
charge for the job. This will make it one very expensive cable run very
quickly.

some cable companies use special cable quad shield, that cant use
standard connectors.

The installer would have to be a real jerk to not go (slightly) out of his
way and find a matching connector he should already be carrying on his
truck for repairs and such. But you make a valid point: if OP is not
comfortable with terminating (connectorizing) the cable, he should leave
the ends open for the CableCo installer to terminate. They may refuse to
pull the cable due to time, effort, insurance etc. but they will never
object to terminating one that's already pulled.

DEFINETELY DO NOT USE RG59!!!!!

RG6/U is the way to go.

-------------------------------------
/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT
()::) OWL
VV-VV

Posted to alt.home.repair

Evan wrote:
[...]

If you like having your house mutilated, let the cable company do the work.
They'll wrap black wire all over the outside of your house, and drill holes
through the walls to the inside and wrap more wires around the inside rooms to
where you want the jack.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
[...]

My cable company will supply the wire and put the connectors they supply on for
you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 8, 12:17*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Evan wrote:
[...]

Not MY cable company.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2011 9:11 AM, Ron wrote:
On Nov 7, 7:41 pm, wrote:
Hello-
I am getting ready to have cable internet installed for the first
time in my house. Due to the odd location at which I would like the
cable to emerge, I would like to route the cable myself before the
installer gets here..
Should I use RG59 or RG6? Any other issues I should be aware of?
Thanks for your help.
Frank
P.S. I'm guessing RG6 would be the "safest" option? The run to the
outside box should be less than 100 ft.

The installer can't install the cable in the "odd location"?

Those guys do it every day and most of them are very good at what they
do. I had a cable run for my internet connection through a part of my
attic where I didn't even think it was possible because the area is so
tight.

If you PAY for an install, you can get them to do it right. The 'free'
install is usually worth less than what you paid for it, in my
experience. Outside wires, wall-through outlets, coax over the gutter,
etc. I'd do it myself, or pay a couple hundred for a pro to do it properly.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 8, 7:52*pm, aemeijers wrote:
On 11/8/2011 9:11 AM, Ron wrote:

On Nov 7, 7:41 pm, *wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I didn't pay for anything. The wiring on the outside of my home
is very nice. Should I take a picture tomorrow and post it for ya?

Oh, and since I had so many problems with the cable when I bought this
house (cable was wired on the wrong end of the house - supposed to be
wired on the side with the electric meter) they rewired my entire
house inside and out for FREE and did an excellent job.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On 11/8/2011 9:11 AM, Ron wrote:

On Nov 7, 7:41 pm, *wrote:
[...]

BTW, my cable company uses subcontractors for any cables that need to
be run/installed. My g/f just recently got cable for her internet
(same cable company). She already had cable TV, but a dedicated line
had to be run for the internet service. Again, they did an excellent
job. The installer even asked "is it OK if I drill a hole here?".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all. Will get the quad RG6 and be aware that the cable company
may not like my pre-installation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Additional comments noted. I'll leave the fittings in place- they can
cut them off and redo them if they want to.
I really don't think I would get this location done for free
*unless* neatness is not an issue. The modem needs to be placed near
the inner wall of a room. I know what the snaking would involve and I
can't imagine there wouldn't be an extra charge.