Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wacker concrete saw does not start

I bought a Wacker concrete saw for $50. The seller honestly disclosed
that it ran fine, but now it "would not start", which is true -- it
does not start. How do I fix this thing, is that a carb issue?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 24, 8:54*pm, Ignoramus8808
wrote:
I bought a Wacker concrete saw for $50. The seller honestly disclosed
that it ran fine, but now it "would not start", which is true -- it
does not start. How do I fix this thing, is that a carb issue?

"Won't start" has multiple causes. First thing to do is to figure out
why it won't start. A good starting point is to squirt a bit of gas
into the intake and she if it tries to start. If it does try, then
you clean the carb. If it doesn't try to start then check to see if
you have spark.

That covers 99% of the no start problems on portable gas engines. For
specifics there is a Canuk on U-tube that does a really nice job with
a bunch of videos you can watch. see: http://www.youtube.com/user/donyboy7...ure=grec_index

What kind of motor does it have?

Roger Shoaf
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8808 wrote:
I bought a Wacker concrete saw for $50. The seller honestly disclosed
that it ran fine, but now it "would not start", which is true -- it
does not start. How do I fix this thing, is that a carb issue?

Model number?

Spark, fuel, air.

Pull the sparkplug, lay it on top of the
head with the wire attached and confirm
you have a nice fat blue arc when you pull
the starter cable. If you don't get your
spark, you can have a look at the magneto
or whatever ignition system it has.
Ignition is a very popular failure mechanism
in small engines.

If you do get a nice fat blue spark, look
at the plug. Is the tip black and wet with
gas or dry and light tan in color?
If it is just gas fouled, you could yank
the cord a few times and dry out the
cylinder via the sparkplug hole.
Dry the plug, clean and gap. Try again.

Is the air filter clean?
If you get a spark and the plug looks OK,
consider shooting a little gas into the carb.
If it starts, you may have a plugged jet.
A carb rebuild is probably in order.

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 22:50:16 -0700, Winston wrote:

Ignoramus8808 wrote:
[...]

Spark, fuel, air, compression,

Everything that Winston said, but if you get to the end of the "check
this" list and things still aren't working make sure that it draws air in
the intake during the intake stroke, that it exhausts air on the exhaust
stroke, and that it has compression. In other words, make sure that
there's still rings, and that a valve isn't stuck open.

I used to own a lawn mower that ran great, except that if you left it not
running for over a few weeks you had to whack the head with a 2x4 a few
times and try extra hard to get it to start. I'm pretty sure it was a
stuck valve (and a really lazy owner, to not fix same).

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Much the same, here. I had a lawn mower that was hard to
start. The flywheel nut was exposed. So, I made a rig and
used electric drill. Drill had a sawed off socket extension,
and a deep socket. I spun the engine to start, and then
pulled the drill off, after it started. Did that for years.

My generator probably needs a new diaphragm for the carb.
Have to start it on ether vapors ten times or so, before the
carb starts to feed fuel. Then, it runs fine. Only use the
generator every several years. I have a spraycan of ether in
the box with the generator. And a quart of oil.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tim" wrote in message

I used to own a lawn mower that ran great, except that if
you left it not
running for over a few weeks you had to whack the head with
a 2x4 a few
times and try extra hard to get it to start. I'm pretty
sure it was a
stuck valve (and a really lazy owner, to not fix same).

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Ignoramus8808 wrote:
[...]

Presuming it's a gas engine a gummed up carb would be my first suspect.
Check for spark and compression first, but after that it's likely time
to teardown the carb and run it through the ultrasonic cleaner.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 24, 11:54*pm, Ignoramus8808
wrote:
I bought a Wacker concrete saw for $50. The seller honestly disclosed
that it ran fine, but now it "would not start", which is true -- it
does not start. How do I fix this thing, is that a carb issue?

It seems everyone is going with cleaning the carb, which may or may
not be true. Your question is vague. Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke?
You are receiving answers for both which may not be correct. Before
you try anything that has been posted here, give more info or you
could be making the problem worse.

It could also be as simple as being flooded.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I bought a Wacker concrete saw for $50. The seller honestly disclosed
that it ran fine, but now it "would not start", which is true -- it
does not start. How do I fix this thing, is that a carb issue?

It seems everyone is going with cleaning the carb, which may or may
not be true. *

In my experience, the vast majority of the time it is
the carb because many of these home gas power tools
are used once in a blue moon, put away with gas in
them and it winds up gumming up the carb. Or the
fuels today with alcohol attract water which then rusts
up the needle valves, etc. I'm
wrestling with that exact problem now with a Stihl
chainsaw. If i used it every couple months, it would
start fine.

But I agree, he should not rule out other causes. I
would have asked the seller if

A - Iit was running OK and then the same day it would no longer start
or quit while running

or

B - It was put away for two years and then would not
start.

B - points to high probability of carb problem, A to
something else.

Your question is vague. Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke?
You are receiving answers for both which may not be correct. Before
you try anything that has been posted here, give more info or you
could be making the problem worse.

It could also be as simple as being flooded.

Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I bought a Wacker concrete saw for $50. The seller honestly disclosed
that it ran fine, but now it "would not start", which is true -- it
does not start. How do I fix this thing, is that a carb issue?

It seems everyone is going with cleaning the carb, which may or may
not be true. *

In my experience, the vast majority of the time it is
the carb because many of these home gas power tools
are used once in a blue moon, put away with gas in
them and it winds up gumming up the carb. *Or the
fuels today with alcohol attract water which then rusts
up the needle valves, etc. * I'm
wrestling with that exact problem now with a Stihl
chainsaw. * If i used it every couple months, it would
start fine.

But I agree, he should not rule out other causes. *I
would have asked the seller if

The major problem is that he bought a non-running saw. He has no idea
what is wrong with it. Now, the question is...... is it worth
fixing. :-)

If he likes to tinker, he can learn alot. But he better find out more
info before beginning.

Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8808 wrote:
[...]

Yes. That too.

Beware that a compression test on a small 4 cycle
motor may read 'low' and yet be perfectly within
specification. The cam on some has a 'compression
release' feature to ease starting.

http://pkjones.hubpages.com/hub/Hard...tratton-engine

--Winston

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Compression release is a very serious concern. However, the
release doesn't work when the mower blade is turned
backwards.

Disconnect and tie back the spark plug wire.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Winston"
wrote in message ...

Beware that a compression test on a small 4 cycle
motor may read 'low' and yet be perfectly within
specification. The cam on some has a 'compression
release' feature to ease starting.

http://pkjones.hubpages.com/hub/Hard...tratton-engine

--Winston

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/24/2011 11:54 PM, Ignoramus8808 wrote:
I bought a Wacker concrete saw for $50. The seller honestly disclosed
that it ran fine, but now it "would not start", which is true -- it
does not start. How do I fix this thing, is that a carb issue?

All we can really do is guess here so I'll put my money on the fuel
system being destroyed by the ****ing ethanol they put in gasoline now.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Used to be a wack on, now it's a wack off? That could start
an endless thread of double entendres. "Hey, yank on it a
bit more...." "Doesn't spark me, you know."

Either that, or it is a plug device that turns your lights
on, and is sold around Christmas time by Billy Mays (as seen
on TV). Wack on! Wack off! The WACKER!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 25, 2:31*pm, Hank wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Does Iggy like to tinker? You're new around here, I guess.

If it's a 4-stroke, you could try shooting some starting ether or
propane in the intake and see what you get. It's easy enough to check
for spark (and make sure the spark plug isn't soaked with oil or gas),
and as stormin' said, if you turn the motor backwards, you ought to
feel some compression.

But two-stroke or four, it's probably a fouled carb, and you can
probably fix it by soaking in gumout or methyl chloride.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 17:25:01 -0400, Al Goar
wrote:

All we can really do is guess here so I'll put my money on the fuel
system being destroyed by the ****ing ethanol they put in gasoline now.

Heh. How about a switch that is still turned off or the fuel line shut
off is not opened? BTDT

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

And extends microphone how would you describe the new
gasoline blends which are supposed to be working toward
energy independance?

--
Christopher A. Young
WLDS News

"Al Goar" wrote in message

All we can really do is guess here so I'll put my money on
the fuel
system being destroyed by the ****ing ethanol they put in
gasoline now.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

When I was in the volunteer fire department. One of the old
guys was telling me of the department, the next town over.
They brought some piece of gas equipment, which was needed
at a fire scene. Hurst tool, maybe. When the various young
fellows (other department) finished taking turns pulling the
start cord, the old guy (my department) went over. He turned
the gas on, and started right up. He describes the surprised
looks on the young bucks 1 / 3 his age.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Oren" wrote in message

Heh. How about a switch that is still turned off or the fuel
line shut
off is not opened? BTDT

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
When I was in the volunteer fire department. One of the old
guys was telling me of the department, the next town over.
They brought some piece of gas equipment, which was needed
at a fire scene. Hurst tool, maybe. When the various young
fellows (other department) finished taking turns pulling the
start cord, the old guy (my department) went over. He turned
the gas on, and started right up. He describes the surprised
looks on the young bucks 1 / 3 his age.

BTDT Laughed at the youngsters....
One of our SOPs is to shut off the fuel and let the device burn off the
fuel in the carb. Makes it much easier than letting varnish plug up the
carbs.

Of course we did have a rookie who was using an ice drill to get water
for a barn fire. Only problem was he was trying to drill right in the
middle of the driveway !!!!!

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-26, Steve W. wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
When I was in the volunteer fire department. One of the old
guys was telling me of the department, the next town over.
They brought some piece of gas equipment, which was needed
at a fire scene. Hurst tool, maybe. When the various young
fellows (other department) finished taking turns pulling the
start cord, the old guy (my department) went over. He turned
the gas on, and started right up. He describes the surprised
looks on the young bucks 1 / 3 his age.

BTDT Laughed at the youngsters....
One of our SOPs is to shut off the fuel and let the device burn off the
fuel in the carb. Makes it much easier than letting varnish plug up the
carbs.

I always do that also.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Well, if you are in the small or recreational engine repair business,
ethanol is great stuff.

For the rest of us, methanol is a ****ing major-league expensive pain in
the ass.

On 10/25/2011 6:37 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Andextends microphone how would you describe the new
gasoline blends which are supposed to be working toward
energy independance?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 20:16:33 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Of course we did have a rookie who was using an ice drill to get water
for a barn fire. Only problem was he was trying to drill right in the
middle of the driveway !!!!!

Rookies are fun. I was once sent to get a "bucket of electricity"
(code name for extension cord). Lesson learned :-/

I told an incoming shift one day we had a missing employee. Gasp!

Then I pointed to a digital Avery label picture I had placed on a milk
carton. We will find him, yet! eyes rolled

One boss sent an employee out to count buffo toads at night so he
could figure out what measures he would need to get rid of 'em.

(I have more examples of rookie fun)

Oh those days are still funny to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 09:01:33 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

It seems everyone is going with cleaning the carb, which may or may
not be true. *

In my experience, the vast majority of the time it is
the carb because many of these home gas power tools
are used once in a blue moon, put away with gas in
them and it winds up gumming up the carb. Or the
fuels today with alcohol attract water which then rusts
up the needle valves, etc. I'm
wrestling with that exact problem now with a Stihl
chainsaw.

Same here with a Husky/Craftsman saw.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Of course we did have a rookie who was using an ice drill to get water
for a barn fire. Only problem was he was trying to drill right in the
middle of the driveway !!!!!

Rookies are fun. I was once sent to get a "bucket of electricity"
(code name for extension cord). Lesson learned :-/

I told an incoming shift one day we had a missing employee. Gasp!

Then I pointed to a digital Avery label picture I had placed on a milk
carton. We will find him, yet! eyes rolled

One boss sent an employee out to count buffo toads at night so he
could figure out what measures he would need to get rid of 'em.

(I have more examples of rookie fun)

Oh those days are still funny to me.

I try not to make the rookies miserable but there are times when you
just need to wake them up....

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Of course we did have a rookie who was using an ice drill to get water
for a barn fire. Only problem was he was trying to drill right in the
middle of the driveway !!!!!

Rookies are fun. I was once sent to get a "bucket of electricity"
(code name for extension cord). Lesson learned :-/

I told an incoming shift one day we had a missing employee. Gasp!

Then I pointed to a digital Avery label picture I had placed on a milk
carton. We will find him, yet! eyes rolled

One boss sent an employee out to count buffo toads at night so he
could figure out what measures he would need to get rid of 'em.

(I have more examples of rookie fun)

Oh those days are still funny to me.

Sending a candy striper for a box of fallopian tubes for surgery is
always a good one in a hospital.

I once asked a sales clerk at Walmart for a box of said tubes and she
looked for 10 minutes before advising me they were out, but had more
coming in tommorow.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

All we can really do is guess here so I'll put my money on the fuel
system being destroyed by the ****ing ethanol they put in gasoline now.

Heh. How about a switch that is still turned off or the fuel line shut
off is not opened? BTDT

Bought a chain saw for parts and while cleaning it up, noticed that
the fuel line was caught between the case halves - replaced the fuel
line and it ran fine.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/24/2011 10:54 PM, Ignoramus8808 wrote:
I bought a Wacker concrete saw for $50. The seller honestly disclosed
that it ran fine, but now it "would not start", which is true -- it
does not start. How do I fix this thing, is that a carb issue?

We would really need to know if this is a hand held, probably 2 stroke
engine, or a walk behind, probably 4 stroke engine.

A few things to try:
1. make sure that the fuel shut off is open
2. make sure that the ignition is on. Many pavement saws have more
than one.
3. Choke
4. Fuel

If it is a 2 stroke saw, it is very easy to have too much oil in the
mix. It will NOT start if the mix is not correct, especially if it has
a too rich mix.

It never ceases to amaze me the prices that you pay for things. A
decent brand hand held cut off saw is over a $1,000. If it runs at all
it will bring several hundred.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

I also like to run equipment dry, when placing in storage.

Ice drill on driveway? Right over the water main? Sounds
like a clueless rookie.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve W." wrote in message

start cord, the old guy (my department) went over. He
turned
the gas on, and started right up. He describes the
surprised
looks on the young bucks 1 / 3 his age.

BTDT Laughed at the youngsters....
One of our SOPs is to shut off the fuel and let the device
burn off the
fuel in the carb. Makes it much easier than letting varnish
plug up the
carbs.

Of course we did have a rookie who was using an ice drill to
get water
for a barn fire. Only problem was he was trying to drill
right in the
middle of the driveway !!!!!

--
Steve W.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"On behalf of the gentlemen and gentle ladies of W-AHR
radio, we thank you for those succinct and profound
comments. It has been our privilege to hear from Al Goar,
our man on the street field reporter, commenting on alcohol
gasoline. Field reports are coming in from several sources.
For use in small engines, the scientific consensus from the
repair shops is that alcohol gasoline, also known as
"gasohol" is a real mother****er."

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about small engines

"Al Goar" wrote in message
Well, if you are in the small or recreational engine repair
business,
ethanol is great stuff.

For the rest of us, methanol is a ****ing major-league
expensive pain in
the ass.

On 10/25/2011 6:37 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Andextends microphone how would you describe the new
gasoline blends which are supposed to be working toward
energy independance?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I also like to run equipment dry, when placing in storage.

Ice drill on driveway? Right over the water main? Sounds
like a clueless rookie.

Oh it's MUCH worse than that.
He was trying to punch a hole to draft from a pond !!!
And this is a pond that is very easy to access from the roadside.

There is even an easy way to find the area to break the ice, It has a
marker that sets about 2 feet off the roadside !!!

The pond is just north east of this intersection..
42.938635,-74.815802

Note where the driveway to the garage is !!!!

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 01:38:10 -0400, Gerald Miller
wrote:

Heh. How about a switch that is still turned off or the fuel line shut
off is not opened? BTDT

Bought a chain saw for parts and while cleaning it up, noticed that
the fuel line was caught between the case halves - replaced the fuel
line and it ran fine.

Saw a similar problem on a lawn mower. The spark plug wire was bound
between the metal. It had cut the wire, which caused it to ground out
and not fire the plug...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Gunner Asch on Tue, 25 Oct 2011 21:54:16 -0700

wrote:

[...]

Best one I head was sending the newbie all round the shop looking
for a box stretcher. Finally is sent up front to the manager's
office. He comes back a moment alter, embarrassed, followed by the
manager, who then reams the employees for sending him after the box
stretcher. "After all, we scraped the broken one six months ago!"

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have the same saw. Min does the same thing. It turned iut ti be the magneto.

Wacker pump as a sump solution? jtpr Home Repair 6 March 31st 10 10:16 PM
Wacker Plate Rubber pad Osprey UK diy 5 June 14th 08 05:22 PM
Weed Wacker Golf Club? [email protected] Home Repair 0 March 1st 08 02:17 AM
Weed Wacker MLD Home Repair 11 July 21st 06 11:01 PM
weed wacker Sacramento Dave Home Repair 5 May 13th 06 02:13 PM