Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Just curious: What bench grinder do you recommend?

I always find I need a good bench grinder.

Just curious ... which do you use, and why?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SF Man" wrote in message

I always find I need a good bench grinder.

Just curious ... which do you use, and why?

Nice vintage two wheel Skil with light and rests and shields. $15 price had
a lot to do with it, too. And it runs smooth.

I think it depends on what you are going to use it for, and how much you
want to spend. For occasional use, most anything will do. For lots of work
or precision, you go from there.

I need one of those sanders with the round pad and the belt. Would like it
to have a drum, too. But I'm not going to pay what they want at the store.
I'll wait until I snag one at a yard sale, about $25, I'd say.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"SF Man" wrote in message
I always find I need a good bench grinder.

Just curious ... which do you use, and why?

I'm still using the Craftsman my Dad bought over 60 years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

tom wrote:

"SF Man" wrote in message
I always find I need a good bench grinder.

Just curious ... which do you use, and why?

I'm still using the Craftsman my Dad bought over 60 years ago.

Just curious. What is the HP of the grinder motor? I have one and I
wish it were more powerful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just curious ... which do you use, and why?

I'm not really sure what the point of the question is, because it's not
likely that the OP is going to be able to get his hands on any
particular make and model of grinder that is mentioned here.

Is there really such a thing as a bad grinder?

But just for the record, I have a Sears Craftsman grinder that I bought
new about 12 years ago. It takes 8" grinding wheels / wire brushes.
Supposedly the motor is 1 HP (that's what the decal says). If I let it
free-wheel when I turn it off, it takes a good minute to spin down to a
stop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SF Man wrote:

I always find I need a good bench grinder.
Just curious ... which do you use, and why?

The real question you need to ask is:

How big is your shop vice?

Mine has 8" jaws and weighs 82 lbs.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/7/2011 9:32 PM, SF Man wrote:
I always find I need a good bench grinder.

Just curious ... which do you use, and why?

Have two...the old Dayton 2 hp 10" that Dad bought for farm shop years
and years and years ago for heavy stuff and actual grinding and I
brought the cheap Chinese thing I bought off a truck sale 20+ yr ago
when came back to the farm which I keep wire wheel/buffer/whatever on.

Both are functional for what they are but the rests on the cheapie are
what you would think they are and it isn't balanced well (besides the
wheels) and the switch has to be worked over every so often but it has
kept running for far longer than I ever expected.

The Dayton is heavy, balanced has strong, sizable rests and will hog a
piece of metal for roughing work as well as can be set for light...

What would be recommended would have most to do w/ what the intended
use(s) is(are). What a welding shop needs versus something for a light
home shop or a precision tool sharpener are markedly different.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

I need one of those sanders with the round pad and the belt. Would
like it to have a drum, too. But I'm not going to pay what they want
at the store. I'll wait until I snag one at a yard sale, about $25,
I'd say.

Watch Craigslist like a hawk!

Not long ago, I saw a 4" disk/belt sander advertised for $20. Dashed right
over and bought it. Owner said "I've got a bigger one for sale, too," and
pointed me to a craftsman with a 6" belt and 9" disk. Never used. Still in
the box.

"How much do you need to get for that one?" I inquired.

"Oh, thirty dollars," he said.

I bought it. Gave the smaller one to my son.

(Damn! That disk sure takes off the wood! Wow!)

Just yesterday, I bought some stuff from a lady who was cleaning out
everything in anticipation of moving to San Francisco. I got:

* A Craftsman electric mower. Used for one season on a (very) small yard.
Retail price of $269 and I paid thirty bucks.

* An economy table saw, barely used, if at all. I paid $30. Gave it to my
son.

* A folding tool stand. I see 'em at Home Depot for $49.95. I paid $10.

When I got home, my current squeeze inquired as to what "household" items
were available at these fire-sale prices. I didn't have a clue, but
immediately emailed the lady selling stuff.

I hope to get an answer soon.

Last week I bought two 110v window air conditioners for $10 each. I plan to
store them and sell 'em (on Craigslist) at the start of next summer for, oh,
$40 each.

Point is, Craigslist often yields bargains and sometimes it yields a
monstorous, as they say on basketball broadcasts, S-C-O-R-E ! !

Posted to alt.home.repair

tom wrote:
"SF Man" wrote in message
I always find I need a good bench grinder.

Just curious ... which do you use, and why?

I'm still using the Craftsman my Dad bought over 60 years ago.

Mine only looks just like the craftsman my father bought 50 years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:
tom wrote:

"SF Man" wrote in message
I always find I need a good bench grinder.

Just curious ... which do you use, and why?

I'm still using the Craftsman my Dad bought over 60 years ago.

Just curious. What is the HP of the grinder motor? I have one and I
wish it were more powerful.

Ditto. I was using the wire brush yesterday, and it was easy to drag it to a
stop.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"Ken" wrote in message ...
tom wrote:

"SF Man" wrote in message
I always find I need a good bench grinder.

Just curious ... which do you use, and why?

I'm still using the Craftsman my Dad bought over 60 years ago.

Just curious. What is the HP of the grinder motor? I have one and I wish
it were more powerful.

¼ horse, 3450 RPM, split phase. Replaced to cord when it got brittle with a
grounded one and new grinding stones & wire brush wheels is the only
maintenance needed for it's use at home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-10-08, SF Man wrote:

Just curious ... which do you use, and why?

I prefer a 4" vert belt sander. Get a Baldor if you can afford to or
look for used. They're damn pricey, but worth it.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

SF Man wrote in news:j6ocoe$qek$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

I always find I need a good bench grinder.

Just curious ... which do you use, and why?

Why do you want to grind a bench??????
Posted to alt.home.repair

He got tired of heating hot water, maybe?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

2.10...