Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Just curious: What bench grinder do you recommend?

Steve B wrote:

I need one of those sanders with the round pad and the belt. Would
like it to have a drum, too. But I'm not going to pay what they want
at the store. I'll wait until I snag one at a yard sale, about $25,
I'd say.

Watch Craigslist like a hawk!

Not long ago, I saw a 4" disk/belt sander advertised for $20. Dashed right
over and bought it. Owner said "I've got a bigger one for sale, too," and
pointed me to a craftsman with a 6" belt and 9" disk. Never used. Still in
the box.

"How much do you need to get for that one?" I inquired.

"Oh, thirty dollars," he said.

I bought it. Gave the smaller one to my son.

(Damn! That disk sure takes off the wood! Wow!)

Just yesterday, I bought some stuff from a lady who was cleaning out
everything in anticipation of moving to San Francisco. I got:

* A Craftsman electric mower. Used for one season on a (very) small yard.
Retail price of $269 and I paid thirty bucks.

* An economy table saw, barely used, if at all. I paid $30. Gave it to my
son.

* A folding tool stand. I see 'em at Home Depot for $49.95. I paid $10.

When I got home, my current squeeze inquired as to what "household" items
were available at these fire-sale prices. I didn't have a clue, but
immediately emailed the lady selling stuff.

I hope to get an answer soon.

Last week I bought two 110v window air conditioners for $10 each. I plan to
store them and sell 'em (on Craigslist) at the start of next summer for, oh,
$40 each.

Point is, Craigslist often yields bargains and sometimes it yields a
monstorous, as they say on basketball broadcasts, S-C-O-R-E ! !