Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ceiling fan question

ok, so i have these decades old fans, probably as much as 40 yrs old,
maybe more, they work fine until last night one of them was going very
very slow even though on high. I really like them, they are quiet and
go with my 1871 house. When i stopped it and start it from a dead stop
it just goes about 2 degrees cw then 2degrees ccw. if i give it a spin,
it proceeds to run very slowly. Does this sound like something that
could be fixed?
--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2011 7:17 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
ok, so i have these decades old fans, probably as much as 40 yrs old,
maybe more, they work fine until last night one of them was going very
very slow even though on high. I really like them, they are quiet and go
with my 1871 house. When i stopped it and start it from a dead stop it
just goes about 2 degrees cw then 2degrees ccw. if i give it a spin, it
proceeds to run very slowly. Does this sound like something that could
be fixed?

If it spins freely when turned off, then it sounds like the motor has a
bad winding. Probably time for a new one. I saw a sleek stainless
steel one at lowe s! Just kidding, there are some old looking new fans
out there.

At Busch Beans General store they have two really old ceiling fans.
There is 1 motor that drives a flat belt that drives the fan, and on
that fan is another pulley with a flat belt that drives a second fan.
The belts looked like they are made of leather and the fans are about 10
foot apart making the belts about 20' long. How's that for looking old?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 20:10:31 -0400, Tony Miklos
wrote:

On 10/5/2011 7:17 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
ok, so i have these decades old fans, probably as much as 40 yrs old,
maybe more, they work fine until last night one of them was going very
very slow even though on high. I really like them, they are quiet and go
with my 1871 house. When i stopped it and start it from a dead stop it
just goes about 2 degrees cw then 2degrees ccw. if i give it a spin, it
proceeds to run very slowly. Does this sound like something that could
be fixed?

If it spins freely when turned off, then it sounds like the motor has a
bad winding. Probably time for a new one. I saw a sleek stainless
steel one at lowe s! Just kidding, there are some old looking new fans
out there.

At Busch Beans General store they have two really old ceiling fans.

Hey, I was there in August. I think I remember those fans. They're
near Sevierville, Tennessee.

There is 1 motor that drives a flat belt that drives the fan, and on
that fan is another pulley with a flat belt that drives a second fan.
The belts looked like they are made of leather and the fans are about 10
foot apart making the belts about 20' long. How's that for looking old?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 18:17:28 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

ok, so i have these decades old fans, probably as much as 40 yrs old,
maybe more, they work fine until last night one of them was going very
very slow even though on high. I really like them, they are quiet and
go with my 1871 house. When i stopped it and start it from a dead stop
it just goes about 2 degrees cw then 2degrees ccw. if i give it a spin,
it proceeds to run very slowly. Does this sound like something that
could be fixed?

I dunno. I have a fan (way younger than your's) I'm getting through
another season. It would only nudge CW/CCW. I did get it to run
finally - somehow!

A friend suggested it might be a switch in the fan. The one to reverse
the blade up/down. Or the pull chain switch on the fan body.

I'm afraid to shut the fan off as it may not start again. But, I
prefer this ceiling fan run all the time. Getting above the bed for
replacing the fan will prove difficult.

A switch?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Does anyone ever think of the most obvious. OIL THE FAN!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2011 7:10 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:
[...]

they have 6 or 8 fans driven off one small motor in the ceiling of the
Organ Stop Pizza in Mesa. Pretty cool!

thanks for the reply

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

na, i tried that tonight. Switches all check good with an ohm meter .

thanks

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

hr(bob) wrote:

Does anyone ever think of the most obvious. OIL THE FAN!!!

You think? It's only been running for forty years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Suppose I take a paint brush and some 10w30,
and paint a bunch of oil onto the fan. Seems like,
when it turns on, it will fling oil off, and make a
mess.

Should I use 20w50 instead?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"hr(bob) "
wrote in message

Does anyone ever think of the most obvious.
OIL THE FAN!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, paint brush and a quart of 10w30, and paint some oil
onto the fan, and maybe drop cloths on everything in the
room.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

Does anyone ever think of the most obvious. OIL THE
FAN!!!

it turns quite freely. Not noisy.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some motors have a run capacitor. A bad run cap might give
these symptoms. I'd want to pull apart the housing around
the motor, and look for a capacitor.

If it were mine, I'd check the run cap before I paint
brushed a bunch of oil onto the fan, like the other poster
suggested. I doubt that oiling the fan will help much.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
ok, so i have these decades old fans, probably as much as 40
yrs old,
maybe more, they work fine until last night one of them was
going very
very slow even though on high. I really like them, they are
quiet and
go with my 1871 house. When i stopped it and start it from
a dead stop
it just goes about 2 degrees cw then 2degrees ccw. if i
give it a spin,
it proceeds to run very slowly. Does this sound like
something that
could be fixed?
--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, all that cutting through the air, sure is likely to
build up friction.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
hr(bob) wrote:

Does anyone ever think of the most obvious. OIL THE
FAN!!!

You think? It's only been running for forty years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Definitely the fan. Those blades, chopping through the air.
They sure need oiling.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Hwang"
wrote in message ...

A switch?

Does anyone ever think of the most obvious. OIL THE
FAN!!!

Hmmm,
Oil the fan or motor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Give me a quart of 10w30, and a paint brush, and a ladder,
and I'll oil your fan for you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ted" wrote in message

Does anyone ever think of the most obvious. OIL THE
FAN!!!

You think? It's only been running for forty years.

I have a pair of 30 year old Casablanca ceiling fans that
you cant oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

ok, so i have these decades old fans, probably as much as 40 yrs old,
maybe more, they work fine until last night one of them was going very
very slow even though on high. I really like them, they are quiet and
go with my 1871 house. When i stopped it and start it from a dead stop
it just goes about 2 degrees cw then 2degrees ccw. if i give it a spin,
it proceeds to run very slowly. Does this sound like something that
could be fixed?

I would love to know how it comes out. Oil, condenser, motor or just
what. I hope you let us know what happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ok, so i have these decades old fans, probably as much as 40 yrs old,
maybe more, they work fine until last night one of them was going very
very slow even though on high. I really like them, they are quiet and
go with my 1871 house. When i stopped it and start it from a dead stop
it just goes about 2 degrees cw then 2degrees ccw. if i give it a spin,
it proceeds to run very slowly. Does this sound like something that
could be fixed?

*If you really love the fan, a motor shop can rebuild the motor for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/6/2011 6:24 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Some motors have a run capacitor. A bad run cap might give
these symptoms. I'd want to pull apart the housing around
the motor, and look for a capacitor.

If it were mine, I'd check the run cap before I paint
brushed a bunch of oil onto the fan, like the other poster
suggested. I doubt that oiling the fan will help much.

i considered all the oiling remarks a joke. it turns quite freely and
without noise.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

ok, so i have these decades old fans, probably as much as 40 yrs old,
maybe more, they work fine until last night one of them was going very
very slow even though on high. I really like them, they are quiet and
go with my 1871 house. When i stopped it and start it from a dead stop
it just goes about 2 degrees cw then 2degrees ccw. if i give it a spin,
it proceeds to run very slowly. Does this sound like something that
could be fixed?

I would love to know how it comes out. Oil, condenser, motor or just
what. I hope you let us know what happens.

will do. sounds like taking it down and exploring is in order.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 12:45:12 -0400, John Grabowski wrote:

ok, so i have these decades old fans, probably as much as 40 yrs old,
maybe more, they work fine until last night one of them was going very
very slow even though on high. I really like them, they are quiet and
go with my 1871 house. When i stopped it and start it from a dead stop
it just goes about 2 degrees cw then 2degrees ccw. if i give it a
spin, it proceeds to run very slowly. Does this sound like something
that could be fixed?

*If you really love the fan, a motor shop can rebuild the motor for you.

and if it has a suitable casing and you're a creative type, you might be
able to replace the motor with a modern one, but keep the original case,
hub and blades.

I suspect it has a dead winding - but it's possible that it's bad at the
solder joint at one end, so you may be able to fix it without a rewind.

cheers

Jules

Another Ceiling Fan Question Kate[_5_] Home Repair 7 August 5th 09 02:58 AM
Ceiling question Flair Home Repair 9 January 16th 09 07:57 PM
Ceiling Fan Question Jeffy3 Home Repair 8 April 27th 08 04:50 AM
ceiling Fan question Kurt Ullman Home Repair 6 September 1st 07 08:05 PM
Ceiling Fan Question Dimitrios Paskoudniakis Home Repair 4 March 23rd 07 09:59 PM