Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ceiling fan question

On Oct 5, 7:46*pm, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 18:17:28 -0500, Steve Barker

wrote:
ok, so i have these decades old fans, probably as much as 40 yrs old,
maybe more, they work fine until last night one of them was going very
very slow even though on high. *I really like them, they are quiet and
go with my 1871 house. *When i stopped it and start it from a dead stop
it just goes about 2 degrees cw then 2degrees ccw. *if i give it a spin,
it proceeds to run very slowly. *Does this sound like something that
could be fixed?

I dunno. I have a fan (way younger than your's) *I'm getting through
another season. It would only nudge CW/CCW. I did get it to run
finally - somehow!

A friend suggested it might be a switch in the fan. The one to reverse
the blade up/down. Or the pull chain switch on the fan body.

I'm afraid to shut the fan off as it may not start again. But, I
prefer this ceiling fan run all the time. Getting above the bed for
replacing the fan will prove difficult.

A switch?

Does anyone ever think of the most obvious. OIL THE FAN!!!