Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another Ceiling Fan Question

A friend tried to help me install a Harbor Breeze 42inch ceiling fan,
with a remote control. With all of the wires, plus the remote control
that should be stuffed inside the casing, it is impossible. The remote
control is the one that goes with this brand of fan.

Has anyone else had this problem?

From what I am reading, if a ceiling fan has a problem, it is usually
due to the remote control.

I am considering returning the remote control, and just using the light
switch for the light, and a chain to turn the fan on.

My current light switch is on a dimmer. Can I still dim the light on
the ceiling fan by turning on the light switch? My gut feeling tells me
no, but I hope I am wrong.

If this does not work, is there anyway I can get the light to dim?

Many thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
A friend tried to help me install a Harbor Breeze 42inch ceiling fan, with
a remote control. With all of the wires, plus the remote control that
should be stuffed inside the casing, it is impossible. The remote control
is the one that goes with this brand of fan.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Yes, every time I install any fan with a remote receiver that sits in the
canopy. You have to make sure the bevelled edge of the receiver is facing
down, make up the ground and 5 receiver connections then push the wire nuts
up into the box as best you can, then tie wrap the loose wires together at
the sides of the receiver. Then pray. It's always a PITA, but I've never not
been able to make them fit

From what I am reading, if a ceiling fan has a problem, it is usually due
to the remote control.

I am considering returning the remote control, and just using the light
switch for the light, and a chain to turn the fan on.

My current light switch is on a dimmer. Can I still dim the light on the
ceiling fan by turning on the light switch? My gut feeling tells me no,
but I hope I am wrong.

This will work if the feed and switch leg are both located in the ceiling
box. If there is only a single two wire cable in the box, the wall switch
would have to be on for any power to be at the fan.

If this does not work, is there anyway I can get the light to dim?

Many thanks.

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 2:27*am, Kate wrote:
A friend tried to help me install a Harbor Breeze 42inch ceiling fan,
with a remote control. *With all of the wires, plus the remote control
that should be stuffed inside the casing, it is impossible. *The remote
control is the one that goes with this brand of fan.

Has anyone else had this problem?

*From what I am reading, if a ceiling fan has a problem, it is usually
due to the remote control.

I am considering returning the remote control, and just using the light
switch for the light, and a chain to turn the fan on.

My current light switch is on a dimmer. *Can I still dim the light on
the ceiling fan by turning on the light switch? *My gut feeling tells me
no, but I hope I am wrong.

If this does not work, is there anyway I can get the light to dim?

Many thanks.

Kate

Years ago I got a decorative round extender cover that gave extra room
for all that mess, its about 2" lower , HD has decorative covers ,
maybe those will give you extra room for wires but they look thin,
Most-all? dimmers say not for motors but on one old fan I use one and
it worked for years, I even use X10 light modules for a table fan to
slow it, its lasted 3 years so far. You should be able to find a
decorative cover that will give room for wires, a remote is best.
Posted to alt.home.repair

A friend tried to help me install a Harbor Breeze 42inch ceiling fan, with
a remote control. With all of the wires, plus the remote control that
should be stuffed inside the casing, it is impossible. The remote control
is the one that goes with this brand of fan.

Has anyone else had this problem?

From what I am reading, if a ceiling fan has a problem, it is usually due
to the remote control.

I am considering returning the remote control, and just using the light
switch for the light, and a chain to turn the fan on.

My current light switch is on a dimmer. Can I still dim the light on the
ceiling fan by turning on the light switch? My gut feeling tells me no,
but I hope I am wrong.

If this does not work, is there anyway I can get the light to dim?

*As RBM said it is a pain, but doable to get those receiver wires into the
box. Tuck as much as you can into the ceiling box. Use the tiny wire nuts
that come with the remote. Sometimes I have to curl the wires around the
fan bracket and let the canopy cover them up.

If you use the fan with the dimmer the dimmer will control the fan speed as
well unless you are able to wire the motor directly to a hot leg in the box
or a separate switch.

BTW are you hanging this fan on a fan rated box or are you using the
existing electrical box in the ceiling?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 3:27*am, Kate wrote:
[...]

It's not entirely clear if you are replacing an existing fan or just a
simple light fixture. (I'm guessing it's just a light)

The reason I say this is that if you have a dimmer for the light and a
separate switch for the fan, then, yes, you can use the dimmer for the
lights.

If you just have the dimmer then even if the dimmer will work with the
fan motor, you'll be stuck with a device that will have low light at
slow fan speeds and bright light at high fan speeds. In other words,
you won't have independent control of either device, which I'm
guessing is going to be pretty inconvenient.

P.S. Are you ready to add another device that is going to cause you to
say "Where's that d*mn remote?" g

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
A friend tried to help me install a Harbor Breeze 42inch ceiling fan, with
a remote control. With all of the wires, plus the remote control that
should be stuffed inside the casing, it is impossible. The remote control
is the one that goes with this brand of fan.

Don't give up on the remote. It's a must-have. Make it work. I had some
problems stuffing the wires in, but eventually got it to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski wrote:
A friend tried to help me install a Harbor Breeze 42inch ceiling fan,
with a remote control. With all of the wires, plus the remote control
that should be stuffed inside the casing, it is impossible. The
remote control is the one that goes with this brand of fan.

Has anyone else had this problem?

From what I am reading, if a ceiling fan has a problem, it is usually
[...]

We were using the existing electrical box, as the fan only weighs 14
lbs. But, we twisted the existing plastic box and it cracked. So, now
we will be putting the right box in, that is made to hold a heavy fan so
I can later put in a heavier fan if need be.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 4, 3:27 am, Kate wrote:
A friend tried to help me install a Harbor Breeze 42inch ceiling fan,
with a remote control. With all of the wires, plus the remote control
that should be stuffed inside the casing, it is impossible. The remote
control is the one that goes with this brand of fan.

Has anyone else had this problem?

From what I am reading, if a ceiling fan has a problem, it is usually
[...]

Right now, I have just a light fixture. I am removing that, and adding
a ceiling fan, that has a light fixture in it.

I know, I decided I could live with finding the remote everytime I need
to turn the fan or the fan light on.

Many thanks.

Ceiling question Flair Home Repair 9 January 16th 09 07:57 PM
Ceiling Fan Question Jeffy3 Home Repair 8 April 27th 08 04:50 AM
ceiling Fan question Kurt Ullman Home Repair 6 September 1st 07 08:05 PM
Ceiling Fan Question Dimitrios Paskoudniakis Home Repair 4 March 23rd 07 09:59 PM
Ceiling fan light kit question [email protected] Home Repair 4 January 10th 07 09:23 PM