Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default ceiling fan question

On 10/5/2011 7:17 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
ok, so i have these decades old fans, probably as much as 40 yrs old,
maybe more, they work fine until last night one of them was going very
very slow even though on high. I really like them, they are quiet and go
with my 1871 house. When i stopped it and start it from a dead stop it
just goes about 2 degrees cw then 2degrees ccw. if i give it a spin, it
proceeds to run very slowly. Does this sound like something that could
be fixed?

If it spins freely when turned off, then it sounds like the motor has a
bad winding. Probably time for a new one. I saw a sleek stainless
steel one at lowe s! Just kidding, there are some old looking new fans
out there.

At Busch Beans General store they have two really old ceiling fans.
There is 1 motor that drives a flat belt that drives the fan, and on
that fan is another pulley with a flat belt that drives a second fan.
The belts looked like they are made of leather and the fans are about 10
foot apart making the belts about 20' long. How's that for looking old?